M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never have had one before, so I need a recommendation on which Dremel would be best.
I have 2 Garand and 2 M1A's stocks to work on.
The battery model is kinda neat, but the cord models should not be a problem.
Rotary heads, Oscillating, or maybe this Dremel Trio?

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catid=85

Which one would be best for my application?

Thanks

GI2

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have both a battery and an electric cord type. For my money I would get a cord type. Endless power when you need it without waiting to recharge every 20 mins.

·
"Death From Above"
11,442 Posts
I got mine 15 years ago with the cord. No doubt they have a few different models since them. But if I were opting for one I would get the cord.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have had both, i prefer the corded. get the extention that looks like a snake. its great for getting in tight places and is well worth the money

·
Registered
467 Posts
When it comes to any type of rotary tool (Dremel) your best buddy is HARBOR FREIGHT

I'd suggest not getting necessarily stuck on the Dremel brand, as you can save a bundle getting a no-name version, this assuming you'll be using it once every couple of months for at most a half-hour or so.

Harbor Freight has zillions of bits and grinders and cutters for this tool, and their prices are rock bottom.

Hope you've got one nearby!

EDIT: If you burn the motor out (possibly by forceful extended grinding under lots of pressure, slowing the motor significantly) you can just get a new one for less than the cost of a box of ammo...

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
+1 on Harbor Freight. I have bought many tools there, not the best quality but good quality for the price. Once in a while I have found very good quality for the price there.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
IMHO the battery-powered Dremel brand tool is a toy; it is not suitable for anything that I use one for, and was a waste of money.

If you want one that will handle production work and run (nearly) forever and money is not an object, buy a Foredom tool. If you will use one for hobby usage and only use it occasionally, then a Dremel-style will certainly suffice. I would definitely look at Harbor Freight, or even Home Depot to see what they have on sale for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
before attacking a rifle stock you care about with a dremel, practice on something else first!!!! lots o gun parts have been destroyed by unskilled dremel users!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts