M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to buy an aftermarket barrel for my Norinco, and have a few questions. It looks like I will be getting a douglas finnished short chambered barrel. Are these good barrels? The two places I have found them are Brownells, and champions choice. The barrel at brownells is finnished by Barnett and costs $290, the barrel at CC costs $240. It seems to me that they are the same, so why the difference in price? I know I will need a new gas cylinder lock, but can I get away with using the rest of the gas system?

Thanks,
echo

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Echo:

I think moving to a "Heavy" match barrel, the only difference would be a wider "match" op rod guide. The Gas Cylinder(probably unitized) and GC lock should be same as well as FH assembly.

The inside of the handguards may have to be shaved down just a bit, but is a simple process.

Hmmm... I think this is correct...

Aloha,

Tom O.

BTW: You might want to check out CMP they had match barrels for sale and I got two...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Like dighawaii said, CMP still has new short chambered Hart 1in9" and Douglas 1in10" heavy barrels. $231 and $206 shipped. I believe the receiver threads are the same but you're right the GC lock on the Norinco is metric and will need to be replaced. I think you should be able to use the GC but you should consult the pros on this. Good Luck.

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=BAR

·
Registered
359 Posts
barrels

have to agree with the warbird:
douglas is the best, gene barnett will not use any other as he uses douglas blanks no citadel hart fart or kreiger.
i think most of it is alot of hype. most depends on how well the gun is put together and how well the operator shoots.
tim douglas is a master barrel maker no ifs and or butts you want the best you go with a barnett. kreiger is overated. jeff

·
Banned
611 Posts
I bought some army takeoff douglass barrels a couple years ago and I screwed the best one out of the bunch onto my norinco. It's a 1-10 6 groove. I absolutely love it. I had an H&R barrel that could get 1 inch groups with careful handloading but the douglas can group several loads under an inch including a 175 grain cast bullet and I am getting a 168 barnes coated x bullet into 1 hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Now keep in mind I am fairly well experienced building rifles by now but that douglas barrel really made it what it is now. I wouldn't dream of getting anything else now. I am about to get one just like it for my garand.
The nice things about the douglas were being an army take off and previously installed on a usgi rifle I only had to screw it on and check the headspace. It came out perfect on the tight end of the range like a match rifle should. To this day it hasn't changed one bit either with a trw bolt wich has seen well over 50000 rounds on this rifle. I have a couple thousand, mostly cast bullets through the douglas so far. The throat erosion on mine started out at 2 and the muzzle was perfect and they are still there. Is this enough testament to the douglas yet?
You do need to get a gi lock like you were thinking but I would try to see how your gas group fits. Mine is gi and I have to drive it on with a rather large mallet. As it should be. I would suggest if yours doesn't fit really tight on the splines then get a new gi cylinder and piston and see if it comes out as tight as mine. Tight parts hanging on the barrel do almost as much for group sizes as the barrel itself. My flash hider is also gi and I never reamed this one. It is aligned perfectly so I don't see the need. I also have to drive it on with a large mallet. I don't even tighten the castle nut. Well I ran it down with my fingers as I pounded the hider on then I backed it off to line up a slot for the screw. I have found it shoots better this way vs jamming the nut around till the next slot is in the right place. Never do this with a flash hider that slips on easy.
Have you ever headspaced a rifle before? your new one will have to be done. I reallly don't know who to recommend since I do all my own work but I have never heard of one single complaint about smith enterprise.

·
Registered
232 Posts
About ten years ago my friend Paul Feist and I both had our SA Inc. M1A's sent to Champion's Choice and had Douglas Barrels installed. It was and still is a great deal for the price. Niether of us has had a single problem after thousands of hot, hot reloads during our years of High Power competition before joining the dark side and switching to AR's. We both still have ours tucked away for future fun. Go with the CC douglas combo and you won't be unhappy..

·
Registered
Sniper, Tactical and Long Range
37 Posts
echo ,, the only prob with the CMP barrels is they do not come with an op rod guide or gas port hole drilled or handgaurd slots milled.. those are no problem for any gunsmith but it makes them not quite so good of a deal..
Douglas Premiums have always been top notch barrels,, and Hart barrels have won so many matches in every catagory that you could hardly go wrong..
good luck Ram

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
wdigeorge,

It has been proven that Hart barrels will not stand up to the stress of rapid fire shooting or full auto if needed and keep shooting accurately in semi.
Gus Fisher has stated this as well and he is a MTU armorer.

I shoot a Krieger heavy barrel on my supermatch and it shoots every bit as good as a Douglas.The only advantage with the Krieger is,the bore is .002 smaller diameter and will last about 3000 rounds longer when it comes to accuracy.

I was saying above that Douglas is far better than a Hart barrel.I've never used a Hart barrel and never will.HTH

warbird
[email protected]

·
Registered
406 Posts
DOuglass Barrels

I'm no barrel expert, but I have a douglas heavy barrel on my M1A Pre-Ban. The rifle shoots like a house on fire. I couldn't imagine anything shooting any better. But I do have a question. What is the life expectancy of one of these barrels....Thanks, Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.