M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Springfield Armory national match that randomly will double, firing two rounds with one squeeze of the trigger.

I have been told it is because of the match trigger and being wrapped up to tight in a sling or holding too tight off a bench, which my finger holds or presses off two rounds, is this true?

Is my rifle safe? Do I need to send it back or to a gunsmith?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
The match trigger really isn't the problem. The problem is you. When firing from a bench, hold the stock tight against your shoulder. With your finger on the trigger use a quick squeeze, don't slowly pull the trigger until it fires. This is not a bolt action rifle. What happens is, if the stock isn't tight against your shoulder when firing, the recoil will cause the trigger to bounce off your finger causing it to fire again. When you pull the trigger, hold the trigger fully to the rear after each shot. Remember, don't baby the trigger. Good luck. Your rifle is safe to shoot.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
If you were getting anything more than doubles I would suspect the trigger. Since only doubles are happening follow what was said above. You can always have the trigger pull measured if your concerned it's to low.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I bought a trigger group from a guy that said he was getting double fires from it sometimes. When I took it apart the trigger pin was broken. I could not tell it from a visual inspection while assembled. It is not hard to dissasemble the TG, but if you don't feel comfortable with doing this it might be worthwhile to send it to some one. There are several professional armorers on this board. Maybe a member that lives in your vicinity.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
In the mid 1980's I took a DCM "class" taught by a High Master.
The purpose was to learn how to shoot Hi Power.
We used the 30/06 M1 Garand.
I had been shooting Bullseye Pistol since 1966.

When it got to the "trigger" part of the class, the instructor asked who had been a Bullseye Pistol shooter or an "Air Gun" competitor.

He told us that we would most likely experience some double fires because our trigger fingers were "too good".

By pulling the trigger slowly and with such good control we would be holding the trigger at a position where after firing the hammer would be inbetween the two hooks, and thus not be caught, and fire a second time.

We were using standard Garands not match guns.

I got to where I could almost double my garand on demand.

His answer was to put your finger on the trigger to the first joint and pull straight back all the way through to the trigger stopping.

Also as stated above, holding the rifle loose can cause a double as well, same principle as bump firing.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
When you pull the trigger, hold the trigger fully to the rear after each shot. Remember, don't baby the trigger. Good luck. Your rifle is safe to shoot.
As Rubline said, "follow thru". Hold the trigger back after the shot breaks.
This is some excellent advice and will help shrink your groups.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gun doubling

I had a similar problem with my Supermatch M1A. Try this, unload and remove the mag from the gun. Cycle the action while holding the trigger down. Now release the trigger you should hear a "Click". If it doesn't "Click" your hammer has followed the bolt forward allowing the rifle to slam fire. I remedied the problem by removing a SMALL amount of bedding material from under the trigger guard. It was what worked for me, it may not necessarily be your problem but, worth checking out. GI1

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
If it doesn't "Click" your hammer has followed the bolt forward allowing the rifle to slam fire. GI1
Hammer follow doesn't create a slam unless the rifle has other issues. If it did, the rifle would go full auto.

It just means the rear hammer hooks aren't engaging. Sometimes you can move the trigger assembly upwards, sometimes you need to file the pad at the rear of the trigger. Sometimes you need a new hammer.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I bought a trigger group from a guy that said he was getting double fires from it sometimes. When I took it apart the trigger pin was broken. I could not tell it from a visual inspection while assembled. It is not hard to dissasemble the TG, but if you don't feel comfortable with doing this it might be worthwhile to send it to some one. There are several professional armorers on this board. Maybe a member that lives in your vicinity.
Removing the TG & disassemble for inspection is a good idea , just to be sure , not to mention cleaning & lubricating all the components while they are disassembled .

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Just to expand about 'what causes a double'.

It is typically because a 'just touch it off' trigger pull is used, and on recoil the trigger finger bounces against the trigger again and fires the second shot. That type of trigger pull is sometimes called 'milking the trigger' - NOT GOOD on a semi-auto.

Use a controlled and purposeful trigger pull (there is no need to jerk the trigger), and HOLD IT completely rearward until recoil has stopped and then fully release the trigger.

YES, it might be caused by broken or badly adjusted parts, but it is most often just due to not using proper trigger pull.

Even when shooting single-round-loading, I always 'hold it back' - don't try learn 2 different types of trigger pull. Get GOOD at using the 'hold it back' method.

Jay

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had a rifle that would do this and I kept thinking it was my tigger pull, but no matter what I did it kept firing two rounds. Visual inspection of the trigger group didn’t reveal anything, the trigger group looked mint. However, a functions check revealed the hooks on the hammer were worn and weren’t engaging. I replaced the hammer and the rifle’s been functioning fine ever since. Moral of the story, before you blame yourself for this, do a functions check and ensure the rifle is G2G first.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,621 Posts
There have been some good comments and advice in this thread. The causes are well defined so follow through by holding the trigger back as noted and get your trigger weighed. It has to hold a 4.5 pound weight without releasing. SAI triggers exhibit dismal factory tuning and many are way too light.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.