M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would cause a double fire on a Springfield loaded. tried different mags and this happens sporadically. thanks for looking...cheers

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Milking the trigger...

Not following through on trigger pull...

Shooting off a bench or with a tripod??

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Firm up your grip and don't ride the trigger. A common occurence on the learning curve. I've done it, too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shooting off a bench. tried to stay solid on trigger w/ follow through. checked pin for length. didn't feel like a slam double either which I have felt on others... I'm old though...anything is possible....

·
Registered
714 Posts
2 other things to check:

What kind of ammo, are the primers set properly or could they be "high"?

Is there any extra lube in the trigger group, or is the triggering feeling any "lighter"?

+1 for "milking " the trigger while benchresting it being the most probable.

Speaking from personal experience, been there/done that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks drshame for the good advise ...will check both... still suspect it's my big stiff fingers connected to ham hands

·
Registered
639 Posts
Probably the rifle bouncing around on your trigger finger. You should notice a difference if you shoot offhand, standing up.

As a double burst champion, I recommend that you don't be so tender on the trigger, follow through. Firm grip on you right hand hold. Don't grip too hard with the left hand as pulling the rifle forward leads to bump firing. However, hold firm enough to keep your rifle from bouncing around on the bench. Keep in mind that there is a forward motion component to the recoil as the bolt slams forward and can help move the rifle against your trigger finger for a secondary trigger pull.

All in all.. keep shooting so you are comfortable with the recoil and really enjoy sending those rounds down range.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Try holding the trigger back for a second or two after firing. This should prevent the cycling action from causing a bump fire. It will also keep you from a jumpy trigger pull and cause less movement due to quick trigger pull.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
You also might have one of those rare, stock to trigger group fits that doesn't allow the sear to engage the rear hammer hooks properly all the time. Is it really tough to lock it in,... or loose,... with the trigger guard ?

Also, on a side note: It sounds like you about got it figured out...when you get up to four at a time, ...let me know...might have a spot on a fire team for ya.DI2.......NOT !!!

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Two bangs, hmmmmmm, best I can get mine down to is three bangs. MCORPS1MCORPS1

-

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
doubles

what would cause a double fire on a Springfield loaded. tried different mags and this happens sporadically. thanks for looking...cheers
All the possible causes mentioned here so far are valid but one other thing to take into consideration is a poorly done trigger job. If you can check the pull weight, it should be at or above 4.5#. Springfield loaded comes with a national match trigger job if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
All the possible causes mentioned here so far are valid but one other thing to take into consideration is a poorly done trigger job. If you can check the pull weight, it should be at or above 4.5#. Springfield loaded comes with a national match trigger job if I remember correctly.
We've seen it so advertised, which is another alert to the stock-to-metal issue to which Art, Gus, Ted and others have spoken invaluably in other threads. I'd druther start with a virgin USGI trigger group and get a trigger job that carries a high confidence level.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
You also might have one of those rare, stock to trigger group fits that doesn't allow the sear to engage the rear hammer hooks properly all the time. Is it really tough to lock it in,... or loose,... with the trigger guard ?!!!
My Thoughts also, change out the Stock!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts