M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some Dominion (headstamp: DA 63 Nato cross) and what I believe is Norma (Headstamp: N 7 0 7.62) I was wondering if they are all non corrosive, and whether they are boxer or berdan primed?

Pictures of said ammo:

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,621 Posts
DA is the Dominion Arsenal in Québec, Canada. Manufactured in 1963, under the NATO spec and logo on the headstamp (DA 63 (+)). Canadian repacked Swedish military surplus ammunition in cardboard boxes.

This question came up years ago, the first time I research this was back in the late 2008 time frame N 70 7.62 headstamp stands for the famous unknown factory, found in Central Africa. Berdan, three star crimp with green primer sealant.

Both are non-corrosive and DA is Boxer, while N 70 7.62 is Berdan primed. Your mileage may vary from rifle to the next. enjoy

DI5

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent! Thanks for the info! The wealth of info here always impresses me GI1

I should've pointed out that the green rimmed, crimped primer cartridges came from the brown Sweden marked boxes, but I presume that changes nothing as far as corrosiveness goes so I'll go ahead and send 'em down range GI1

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dling, where in the heck did you find that? Do you own a Delorean?
I own a bunch too, it's rare up here in Canada.. but found at gunshows in stashes.
Riley

Sent from my LG-P935 using Tapatalk 2

Found them both at a gun show. The dominion I'm pretty sure I over paid on and the boxed stuff I paid 50 for 4 boxes. The dominion is in mixed shape but the green primed stuff should be a little aged but corrosion free if they're all like the one box I opened.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Dominion made very good ammo. Wish they were still around, we'd probably have zero .22LR shortages here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interest, I was totally unaware that they also produced .22lr in Canada. Would've nice to see some home grown .22lr...and more surplus 7.62 to boot. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some more surplus this weekend at the Vankleek show. I have a random IVI round in the stash too somewhere...

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Sweets, do they still make the Imperial line of 22LR ammo up there? My Father bought a few case's of that stuff to keep me and my brother in ammo, been years ago but it was pretty good stuff. I had a "Cooey" bolt 22. at one time also.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Sweets, do they still make the Imperial line of 22LR ammo up there? My Father bought a few case's of that stuff to keep me and my brother in ammo, been years ago but it was pretty good stuff. I had a "Cooey" bolt 22. at one time also.
Imperial and CIL both made first rate stuff but the last of it disappeared from the shelves about 10 years ago. Sadly, NAFTA combined with federal and provincial harassment of our firearms community seems to have killed off all of the Canadian ammo makers.

Nobody was anticipating a US government hostile to personal gun ownership and by not sticking around they really missed their chance. They could have owned the Canadian market again and we would have remembered afterwards.

·
Registered
359 Posts
DA is the Dominion Arsenal in Québec, Canada. Manufactured in 1963, under the NATO spec and logo on the headstamp (DA 63 (+)). Canadian repacked Swedish military surplus ammunition in cardboard boxes.

This question came up years ago, the first time I research this was back in the late 2008 time frame N 70 7.62 headstamp stands for the famous unknown factory, found in Central Africa. Berdan, three star crimp with green primer sealant.

Both are non-corrosive and Berdan primed. Your mileage may vary from rifle to the next. enjoy

DI5
Canadian Dominion ammunition Boxer primed, not Berdan primed. Have some in the basement, have reloaded it, good brass, very accurate ball ammo in my experience. It came in neat rubberized bandoliers.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,621 Posts
Canadian Dominion ammunition Boxer primed, not Berdan primed. Have some in the basement, have reloaded it, good brass, very accurate ball ammo in my experience. It came in neat rubberized bandoliers.
Good to know, thanks...

DI5

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a good thing I read your post before I tossed the casings into the junk pile. Good to know it's good brass. Seems pretty solid vs the soft FC casings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts