M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a scoped rifle. I ordered the basset picatinny high mount scope mount and a buddy gave me a Nikon scope and some rings. Seems a bit high. I know I need a cheek rest too but does this look right ?
20201218_182501.jpg
20201218_182448.jpg

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
That scope is pretty high. You can go lower. Your also going to need a cheek riser.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Never had a scoped rifle. I ordered the basset picatinny high mount scope mount and a buddy gave me a Nikon scope and some rings. Seems a bit high. I know I need a cheek rest too but does this look right ? View attachment 441024 View attachment 441025
Never had a scoped rifle. I ordered the basset picatinny high mount scope mount and a buddy gave me a Nikon scope and some rings. Seems a bit high. I know I need a cheek rest too but does this look right ? View attachment 441024 View attachment 441025
I believe the most height is from your mount. You might be able to find lower rings, but yours looks pretty low. I have been using a scope on my M1A for years. I just used my thumb for a cheek rest. If you add cheek rest, it may interfere with using irons.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Hello,
It looks a little on the highside too me.
But, I have a short neck. Therefore, I dropped mine too the deck, boys.
GEDC5044.JPG And, I still needed the Bradly strap-on...

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Hello,
It looks a little on the highside too me.
But, I have a short neck. Therefore, I dropped mine too the deck, boys.
View attachment 441045 And, I still needed the Bradly strap-on...
I 'Like' it!

Get it? 'Like'? HA HA HA HA!

It's funny, because in our state, we have lower standards for that.

Any higher, and you might have to put me in serious office.

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Looks fine from CT. One nice thing Sir, if you ever decide to use a scope with larger OL, you will have space for it.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Measure the distance between the closest part of your scope and the rail. Then see if you can go with lower rings or not. You can stick a stack of pennies or playing cards in there and measure the stack.

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
Most Brookfield style mounts have lower rails than this Basset mount. The rings look to be low as is. You'll find that you will develop some neck strain if you don't install a cheek riser. You may also develop a little bruise on your jaw line.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
If you purchased the high mount so you could use the irons looking under the mount, you must be aware that lower rings may drop the scope bell to where it blocks using the irons.
An adjustable cheek riser that will move high enough for the scope and low enough for the irons is necessary.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I agree , your Rings are low , but your Rail / Mount is high . I don't see much in the way of getting it lower with another set of Rings . Thats about as high as my SAI Mount on my SOCOM , my ARMS18 is a lot lower .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took it out this weekend. Scope took a lot of adjusting but I must say my rifle shoots pretty consistent for my skill level.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i worked up a USGI fiberglass stock and made an adjustable cheek rest for it that collapses down flush with the stock with just 2 thumbscrews. cost was about $4 for the threaded inserts for the stock and the 2 thumbscrews. one bolt to strip off the scope mount, loosen the thumbscrews and you're ready for iron sights. of course, you can leave it USGI brown..... Point is you have a be
autiful wood stock, but you can hack on a glass one to give you an adjustable cheek riser on the cheap and save that nice wood.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts