M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know, the section was titled Steel and Wood - US Military Rifles, so it seems to fit, however its not an American battle battle rifle.

I recently caught a case of mossbergitis....and have been searching out and buying vintage mossberg rimfires for a bit. Bought two last week. You know how it always happens, you buy something that is mildly interesting to you, and then as soon as you've spent your cash, the "must haves!" come out of the woodwork. I had just slapped down a bit of money for a clean 1955 vintage 146B-A at a LGS, then saw this for sale private party on a local forum.

Mossberg 44 US, marked "US Property". Serial number puts this to a production run in late 1944. For those unfamiliar, these were marksmanship training rifles, I believe generally used for indoor training. It's the biggest heaviest .22 I've ever handled. 26" heavy profile barrel, it weighs in at 8.5 lbs.

The seller said it was mint, and when I saw it, boy was he right. I honestly can believe that this rifle may not have been fired. The bore is as perfect as any brand new gun I have ever looked at. Not a hint of wear inside or out. Bluing is 100%, all of the edges, even where moving parts make contact, are sharp and have no wear in the finish. Unfired, I dont know, 69 years is a long time to have sat around waiting to be shot, but the seller told me he had it for 10 years and never got around to shooting it. Anyway, we agreed on a price that I figured I couldn't pass up, and I took the rifle home. I pulled it apart the next day, there was still cosmoline under the barrel band, and in all the trigger screws/pins. Again, not a scratch or bit of wear anywhere.

I'm psyched, I've wanted one of these old mossy's with peep sights for some time, to go with my raunchy old 42C I have (1939ish build date), and that's why I bought the 146B-A, but that doesn't even compare to this one! Anyway, enough about that, here's some pics of this lil' piece of US History.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Looks like you got pretty lucky!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your condition of your gun is not that unusual.
I got at least two of these from the CMP when they
were selling them sight unseen.
The CMP sold these for $100 at the time.
Most were used and a few just never were.
If you take the buttplate off mine had a dab of
grease between the steel and the wood.
I still have not shot the new ones but I
do shoot a used one in the rimfire sporter match
during the Nationals.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I was super excited to find one, period, and even more so to see how clean it was, and that it was complete.

I am looking forward to some nice quality range time over the holiday weekend with all 3 of my old mossbergs....

·
Registered
957 Posts
Been collecting Martial US Trainers and Match 22's for a while and while the
Mossberg is harder to acquire these days they were built to train troops
to shoot and are a no frills (but well made) rifle. Today most folks wouldn't
recognize the names of some. Stevens being one. I'm mostly interested in the
ones from WW1 and WW2, probably have 12 or so and have sold of some duplicates over the years. My rarest was a Hoffer Thompson 22 '03 conversion.
MY Property Marked Winchester 52C is another that would be difficult to find.
H&R 22's from that era can still be had for not too much and are good quality
too. Finding any of these in 90% or better condition is tough today, you like you found a good one!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I have a 42C action in a M44 stock, and it works very well.

When buying one of these rifles MAKE SURE that it includes a clip that is in decent condition. The clips are hard to find and expensive ....

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
WOW !!! that rifle DOES look pretty cherry. Thanks for the pics.

I used to have an old Winchester model 52 that I traded an AK for during the frenzy back when Clinton got elected and NO ONE was going to EVER own an AK or semiauto EVER AGAIN. At least that was what the gun shop owners were all telling us to justify their X5 price increases.

Anyway I traded a typical Chinese AK for a 52 he had on the rack. I never regretted doing that.

I wish I could find another one. I dug up an old FECKER scope too that fit right on it.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts

When buying one of these rifles MAKE SURE that it includes a clip that is in decent condition. The clips are hard to find and expensive ....

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
...what he said. The only mags I could find for my 52 were repos made by trippleK in San Diego. Fortunately I was on the Connie and could go there daily. The original had a weak spring.

Once again, OP, a very nice find.

I have noticed the Gun Gods seem to be smiling on quite a few forum members here lately. It is a sign

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind words folks!

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
A little off topic, but since you mentioned yours, here's a pic of my 42C, that started it all. A friend of mine had it, missing magazine, buttplate, sights, and it was covered with crud and full of hair/dust, bore was rusty, takedown screw was seized and boogered up. no blue on the barrel, it was all brown. He gave it to me because he didn't have the time to work on it.

Through a little work and a few purchases, and the generosity of some folks over on rimfire central, I was able to get it back complete. I was gifted a screw here and there, a buttplate, and the period correct scope mount with a vintage weaver scope. was still making a nice ragged hole at 25 yards even though the trigger pull is like 98 pounds.

Yup, Magazines are hard to come by and spendy. Havlin sales just recently got some in, and I was lucky enough to catch when they had some in stock and ordered one for my old 42C that was magazineless up to this point. I havent even gotten to shoot it with a mag yet.

Mag that came with the 44....spotless! still had the cosmoline in the crevices.

thanks again guys. I cant wait to shoot it, but at the same time, I feel a little guilty. I'll just have to make sure it stays in good shape

1 - 14 of 14 Posts