M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at a gun store I overheard another customer saying that the m14/m1a has a design flaw because of the opening behind the bolt in the receiver allows debris to get inside. I never heard of any complaints about this from anyone but i guess its possible for dirt and pebbles to enter the gun through there. what do you think?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Welcome to the forum........

The opening is part of the design - design flaw? I would not call it that. If you listen to all the foolishness you hear in gunshops, it'll drive you crazy. Look at the track record of the weapon and that says more about the design and serviceability than someone in a gunshop could ever say. Again, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the opinion MrUREasy. I thought the same thing so i picked up a SA std model and a half a dozen KMT mags for my belated Christmas present to myself. (Wife got a notebook comp, but guess whose present will be worth more in 5 years. ;) )

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
You did well

You did well with that present to yourself - hang around here for a while and these guys wiill keep you on track for sure. There is nothing else like this place for sure - great folks. Give us a range report after you make friends with your new toy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That slot on the left side has to be there, the locking lug on the bolt slides through that slot. If it wasn't there, the bolt could not go all of the way to the rear. The M1 Garand also has the same slot and I've never heard of anyone complaining that it caused problems with reliability.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Only flaw I've seen was the need to buy a few more M1A rifles. :D

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I believe the guy was talking about the selector switch cutout on the stock? :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The guy pointed to the back of the receiver just behind the bolt. The stock had no selector switch opening. Maybe the next time i see that guy in the store he will tell me that the barrel has a flaw because it has an opening for the bullets to come out :enforcer: :lol:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I guess you could fill the area in the receiver that's directly behind the bolt. :aarm-10:

I would suggest loading one round before you do though.

Voila ! Single shot M14.

It kinda' brings a whole new meaning to a familiar saying . . .

One shot, . . .

. . . And one shot only. So you better kill him.

·
Registered
543 Posts
In reference to the "slot" or gap in the left side of the reciever behind the bolt lock. Do M14s have this gap, or just M1As and other commercial recievers? Does this have a purpose? I filled the gap in on a gi synthetic stock and the bolt moves back and forth as free as it does with no stock at all. Any help?

Dustin

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
It is normal to have a small gap between the heel of the receiver & bolt stop. It don't hurt nothing. The M14 rifle will operate just fine in dirty, dusty & muddy conditions. All the how to books, tapes and match conditioning books I have seen say you should put bedding material just in front of the bolt stop, about the same area on the other side of the stock & at the heal. I guess these are the critical clamping areas that the receiver and stock mate. My rifles have the selector hole open and I never had a problem with dirt, sand, pebbles, rocks or boulders getting in there and rendering my rifle useless :lol: . I do plan on getting a few of Hawks selector dummy kits 8) as soon as life stops happening long enough for me to save a few nickles though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Maybe the design flaw/gap is really there to allow the dirt, sand, pebbles, rocks or boulders that MAY get in there an avenue to exfil...or maybe not... 8O

Methinks I need to go to bed... :idea:

Tex

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
pezboy said:
In reference to the "slot" or gap in the left side of the reciever behind the bolt lock. Do M14s have this gap, or just M1As and other commercial recievers? Does this have a purpose? I filled the gap in on a gi synthetic stock and the bolt moves back and forth as free as it does with no stock at all. Any help?

Dustin
Yes, the gap on either side between the receiver legs and the heel is supposed to be there. The heel should be firmly on the stock.

It keeps the receiver from rocking back & forth with each shot and, when put under tension by the trigger group, allows the back of the receiver to act as a spring to keep the receiver from moving. It was done for accuracy, not appearance.

If you fill this gap in, you are potentially degrading the accuracy of the rifle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.