M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I allready mentioned this on Battlerifles.com, but I didn't received any replies on my question;

I just bought a BFA from E-bay, it's the 1968 model. When I opened the box (in his original wrapping), I noticed direct the big hole in the tube of the BFA. I thought it had something to do with the diffent gassystem (I only know FAL and MAG BFA's, and they have a much smaller hole) of the M14.
I loaded a MEN 1976 blank (from a old MAG belt), I squeezed the trigger and... Nothing :evil: ! It didn't cycle the weapon! Allright, I pulled a new MAG blank from the beld, it was a IMI 1992 type. Agian, no cycle :evil: :evil: ! I found some other blanks (old Dutch, new English, some differt types of German and the Plastic blanks we used in the FAL. No action at all :evil: :evil: :evil: !
Jeez! I was very dissapointed, so I seeked on the net for USA blanks, and found the M82 with rollcrimp and cartbord disc in it. I rememberd that I have one in my collection, but because that was the only one I have, I didn't fired it :lol: .
Is the US version that much differnt than the other NATO once, or is the red cartbord disc the real secret? I know that the US uses blanks with rosetcrimp now, but does someone know's if they also work in a M14?
BTW, I've my BFA working now. I hammered a rollpin in it. It's so tight, that it will be a problem to get it out, but it makes the hole 1 millimeter smaller, and now it cycles all blank, exept for the Dutch blank. It eject the empty case, but the bold won't be in the open position after the last round is fired.
Does anyone had the same problem with the BFA ?

Greets,

Roger

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Dutchman:

I have not used a BFA device, however, I know Bill Ricca posted a thread on BFA that had some discussion and I think that would be a good place to start... you should try the section... "Ask Bill Ricca"...

I am sorry I cannot lend any first hand experience on this... but I am sure that the others will be able to help!!! Hang in there... Lots of the guys here are VERY mechanically inclined, like you and I am sure a solution will be found! Take Care.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Your problem is most likely the blanks. Now that you have restricted the hole, I would worry if you put US GI blanks through it. The US BFA's were designed around the US cartridge.

It is not surprising the foreign ones do not work. I have found the same applies to M3 Grenade Cartridges made by FN. They just don't have the power of the US Grenade Cartridge.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I thought that their was a differance between the blanks. I remember that we used the US Grenade blanks for the Dragon AT rocket simulator, If my memory saves me, they where made by LC somewhere in the early 80's.
Well, my BFA shoot's and cycles blanks perfect now, that 1 millimeter makes so much differance.
Now I think of it, the US blanks won't cycle a Heckler and Koch G3 8O (I read it somewhere), but it will with the plastic blanks I tried in the M14 with the BFA 8O 8O .
Anyway, I have my answers, Thanks Bill & Tom,

Greets,

Roger

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I just read this thread and although it is quite old offer this:

I thought that their was a differance between the blanks. I remember that we used the US Grenade blanks for the Dragon AT rocket simulator
That was not a blank. That was the M64 Grenade Cartridge 7.62mm. It was used to simulate the back blast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts