M14 Forum banner

Does anyone kneel instead of sitting for the 200 yard rapid stage?

1367 Views 56 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  Daniel556
I tried the kneeling position today, in my practice session. It is more comfortable for me, and just as steady as sitting. Actually, it may be more steady than the sitting position for me. I have trouble with teeter-tottering if I'm sitting. Does anyone else kneel instead of sitting? I haven't seen anyone kneeling in HPR competitions. Everyone goes sitting, from what I've seen.

Am I wasting my time trying to make the kneeling position work?
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
3,761 Posts
Yeah, I'm perplexed that anyone would willingly use kneeling. I did smallbore 3-position for several years and worked hard to become proficient.....still the most miserable part of smallbore.
I have trouble with teeter-tottering if I'm sitting.
Sitting "Indian style" and not flexible enough may be your issue? Perhaps a modified "open leg" position is needed.

· Registered
4,235 Posts
I tried kneeling position myself some years ago but did switch to sitting down with knees pulled up and crossed feet's/legs and that did help me out a bit, just a thought. Don't know if it is legal or not but an ankle roll as they are called can be used to place under your foot to make it more comfortable for you to sit on. At 80 years old don't do either one these days.

· Registered
12,475 Posts
I tried the kneeling position today, in my practice session. It is more comfortable for me, and just as steady as sitting. Actually, it may be more steady than the sitting position for me. I have trouble with teeter-tottering if I'm sitting. Does anyone else kneel instead of sitting? I haven't seen anyone kneeling in HPR competitions. Everyone goes sitting, from what I've seen.

Am I wasting my time trying to make the kneeling position work?
Never ever saw any shooter on the line kneeling for the sit stage ever.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
I know one old timer that shoots matches from kneeling for 200, 300, AND 600. He is just there for the fun. I’ve seen some guys with big beer tumors that shoot sitting, but open stance.

· Registered
12,475 Posts
Sitting is the worst position for me. And every time I shoot sitting, my posture is different.
Get a coach or a good book on HP shooting that shows with pictures how to get into position. Done right its way more stable than kneeling which is just a little bit better than standing.

Kneeling is way more apt to make you "teeter totter" than sitting is.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm perplexed that anyone would willingly use kneeling. I did smallbore 3-position for several years and worked hard to become proficient.....still the most miserable part of smallbore.

Sitting "Indian style" and not flexible enough may be your issue? Perhaps a modified "open leg" position is needed.
Yes, I tried sitting indian style. I always have left to right teeter totter. And my legs don't go horizontal enough. Everything falls apart. It seems like it's just not meant to be, for me. Maybe I just need more practice.

Next weekend I'll focus my practice on the sitting position. It would be interesting if I did a shot a target sitting and then one target kneeling and compared the two.

· Registered
12,475 Posts
Yes, I tried sitting indian style. I always have left to right teeter totter. And my legs don't go horizontal enough. Everything falls apart. It seems like it's just not meant to be, for me. Maybe I just need more practice.

Next weekend I'll focus my practice on the sitting position. It would be interesting if I did a shot a target sitting and then one target kneeling and compared the two.
As mentioned above, if you shoot better kneeling than sitting there is a real problem with your sitting position. A proper sit is much much better than kneeling.
Why do you think kneeling is rarely if ever seen on the line?

· Registered
188 Posts
There's a bunch of different sitting positions that you could use. If you're not flexible enough to sit Indian style, do a search on the web for different sitting shooting positions, click on "Images" on your browser and try some of them. Pick out one that you're flexible enough to get into and practice it for a while, see how it works out for you. Also, try to apply as much bone to bone in that position.

· Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Try a modified cross ankle position, left leg out, slightly bent at knee, right ankle under calf of left leg, left elbow in front of left knee, right elbow inside of right knee. This allows for a less angularity to the target so recoil is more controlled by body mass.

John

· Registered
254 Posts
Try a modified cross ankle position, left leg out, slightly bent at knee, right ankle under calf of left leg, left elbow in front of left knee, right elbow inside of right knee. This allows for a less angularity to the target so recoil is more controlled by body mass.

John
^^^^^ What John said above!

The only time you use kneeling or should I say is required is in international shooting. There you must shoot offhand, kneeling and sitting and prone. Same with small bore unless it’s all changed.

Sitting Indian style was always hard for me. I used crossed ankle like John described.

· Registered
3,761 Posts
every time I shoot sitting, my posture is different.
Maybe I just need more practice.

I find the cross-ankle has more "teeter-totter" since nothing is under the knees to stabilize it. Of course, whichever style you are able to do in sitting, then there is no reason other than to practice more and find that stability.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts