M14 Forum banner

Do you think dogs should be alowed in a hospital

3K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  Wasted ammo 
#1 ·
#11 ·
I’m going to call BS on the cleaner aspect. Probably cleaner that a homeless street person , I’ll give you that. But watch where that mouth and nose is going before you give it a smooch.

Cleanup on isle 1 and 2 please.

We still have hospitals that won’t allow relatives to be there when related has surgery. It’s basically drop them off for surgery, pick them up when they are released.

#8 ·
Dogs can be very therapeutic. I suffered for years with an undiagnosed heart problem. My Lab could sense it sometimes even before I would and come over and lay her head on my chest and look me straight in the eyes. The calming effect would usually cause my heart to settle down rapidly. They truly are man best friend. They have a great effect on hospitalized patients. I wish more people were like dogs in this world.

#14 ·
Years ago, one of my old hunting buddies fell, broke some bones(coupled with a handful of other issues), and ended up in a rehab facility that also had a hospice wing. I went through the hoops, vet checks, gathered up all the proof of vaccination for his dog and took it up to the facility. I have never seen so many people light up when I went through the common area. I can honestly say it made a lot of peoples days. Helped too that the dog was happy to see everyone, including her owner.

#19 ·
I had someone who would bring their dog everytime they were admitted we had to care for the dog as well as other people. Feeding ,walks, clean up after it etc. It was not fair to us and the others we cared for. The dog was supposed to be a therapy/helper for the patient never saw it fetch anything for the patient only eat sleep and other normal things dogs do. If we refused or didn't have time we were told it was our responsibility. I felt we were just being used as a kennel. Obviously if it was just a visit or was there with a family or handelier I had no problem if it was trained or behaved. I am a dog person BTW.

#21 ·
The simplest way to explain it,, Service dogs are the one " Doing" stuff. Doing chores, bringing stuff, or possibly alerting to a problem. Therapy dogs "Comfort" or help feeling. This is a VERY simplified explanation but is way more involved. A Service dog spends six to eight months working with a handler and person being served so they are both trained

#32 ·
As a youngster living in the sticks, my dad told me a number of things that are survival related:
1. Moss grows on the north side of a tree.
2. Follow the stream in the direction of the flow. It will eventually cross a road.
3. Put mud on bug/bee stings.
4. Let the dog lick your wounds. They have a different type of bacteria in their mouths that promote healing.
Never known anyone, old or young that got infected or died from dog slobber. Just sayin'?

#28 ·
YES.

#30 ·
Had something happen yesterday that I thought I'd like to share because it relates to this. As we were out on our evening ride through the one shopping area, a lady stood at the curb watching. I motioned her over because she was staring at the one dog. I explained to her his age and all about him like I usually do and then I mentioned that we were working with them the go into hospitals and nursing homes. She began to weep. He said not so long ago that she had been in a very bad accident I'm in the hospital for a very long time. And that at one point they brought some dogs in through the Care Unit she was in in everybody's whole mood just changed. She could sense the positivity in her and her fellow patients and saw the life just rushed back in two people that were more tragically off and she was. She then thanked me and then gave him a big hug that she walked off still weeping.

#33 ·
This isn't even a question. No. Not a chance.

Do not confuse our love of dogs and their noble and deserving natures with the physiology of a canine. They have robust immune systems because they have no choice. They're spreading phenomenal pathogens in every exhale; not counting what lives in their fur and hide. No amount of bathing can change that.

Of course, some hospitals, notably VA cesspools, don't much live up to their standards, either. But good Lord, don't aggravate the condition with the introduction of a canine, feline, or basically any animal.

Love them in a proper place.

#36 ·
A hospital is no place for animals. There is too much stuff they can get into that could be harmful to them & others if not CONSTANTLY attended to. If rover decides to go off script and do something doggy who is going to bear the responsibility for the dog's actions ?? Hospitals are supposed to be sterile places for surgeries to occur and healing to happen, not a petting zoo. Patients and staff both have better things to do then look out for a curious K-9 under foot. Or when the dog's protective instinct takes over when an exam or procedure may cause the owner discomfort and the dog reacts the way dogs do by biting the staff responsible for causing their owner's pain.

If you're doing well enough to enjoy/appreciate the company of animals then maybe you should be discussing your release from said hospital. Just my .02.

#37 ·
Your 0.02 cents are appreciated as are all opinions.

But you are confusing or commingling two things. Therapy dogs and Service dogs are not your pet pooch. Service dogs and Therapy dogs are extremely well trained and controlled by handlers and trainers. The chance of them getting into something they aren't supposed to is EXTREMELY LOW. About like a police dog just biting someone because it feels like it. For instance, my dogs will only and I mean only take one type of treat from strangers, anything else they will turn away from the person, don't care what they have.

If they approach people they are directed to it is extremely gentle ( like an angels kiss )

If you've never been around a REAL working service dog, you don't have the full picture.

IMHO

#38 ·
Seems to me if people are allowed in dog hospitals......but I'm of the opinion that my dogs are more loyal, honest and loving than most people. Even if they do occasionally pee on the carpet.

Which most people do at some point in their life.

Reactions: seaaire354
#40 ·
Any one interested in doing something like this. I spoke to a couple that had provided several hundred mostly guide dogs but some service dogs. He and his wife had been doing this for over 40 years. He said that after 10 years they started using only Gold-a-dores ( half Golden Retriever half Yellow Labrador) . He also stated that training time was cut nearly in half and dogs needing refreshment training was almost nonexistent.

Once you get in this group of people there are a lot of resources to help. I was going to get the one dog fixed because we had someone move in the area with a intact female and he was getting rowdy. One of the trainers said that dog is to special to do that to because of the offspring it would be a waste. They said just a tiny bit of Vicks vapor rub on the nose when going out would take care of all the problems 😚

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.