·
Forum Jester
8,198 Posts
yup

Reactions: ColdWarGrunt

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Dogs can be very therapeutic. I suffered for years with an undiagnosed heart problem. My Lab could sense it sometimes even before I would and come over and lay her head on my chest and look me straight in the eyes. The calming effect would usually cause my heart to settle down rapidly. They truly are man best friend. They have a great effect on hospitalized patients. I wish more people were like dogs in this world.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
No.

The amount of requests I get to write letters claiming peoples’ pets are “therapy dogs, cats, bunnies, ferrets, etc” has made me put off to the idea. For every 1 person comforted at a time of need, or blind using a service animal are 10 entitled people who don’t want to have to part with their pet due to inconvenience.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
In a lot of cases, the animals are better behaved and cleaner than some humans and they can have a tremendous effect on the morale and mental state of some patients.
I’m going to call BS on the cleaner aspect. Probably cleaner that a homeless street person , I’ll give you that. But watch where that mouth and nose is going before you give it a smooch.

Cleanup on isle 1 and 2 please.

We still have hospitals that won’t allow relatives to be there when related has surgery. It’s basically drop them off for surgery, pick them up when they are released.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Dogs can be very therapeutic. I suffered for years with an undiagnosed heart problem. My Lab could sense it sometimes even before I would and come over and lay her head on my chest and look me straight in the eyes. The calming effect would usually cause my heart to settle down rapidly. They truly are man best friend. They have a great effect on hospitalized patients. I wish more people were like dogs in this world.
Absolutely, absolutely.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Legit therapy dogs and therapeutic pets for needy patients, of course are fine. I really get ticked off seeing a dog in a shopping cart, on a leash in Home Depot, or anywhere else, just because Rover can't be left home for an hour. Just as bad are the people who encourage the behavior by oohing and ahhing over the animals.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Years ago, one of my old hunting buddies fell, broke some bones(coupled with a handful of other issues), and ended up in a rehab facility that also had a hospice wing. I went through the hoops, vet checks, gathered up all the proof of vaccination for his dog and took it up to the facility. I have never seen so many people light up when I went through the common area. I can honestly say it made a lot of peoples days. Helped too that the dog was happy to see everyone, including her owner.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Well yes I agree they have benefits for the patient but a visit is fine to stay absolutely NO!
I have come across this as a nurse and have had to take care of the pet/therapy animal. It takes away from my duties as well as makes me responsible for the animal and what it may do.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I’m going to call BS on the cleaner aspect. Probably cleaner that a homeless street person , I’ll give you that. But watch where that mouth and nose is going before you give it a smooch.
Most therapy/ visitation animals are bathed before going. This takes care of dander and allergy issues.

We intend on doing nursing homes and the like when things loosen up a little more. People in a lot of cases where we take them now just need a reason to smile.

Local news with us

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Most therapy/ visitation animals are bathed before going. This takes care of dander and allergy issues.

We intend on doing nursing homes and the like when things loosen up a little more. People in a lot of cases where we take them now just need a reason to smile.

Local news with us
That’s great work you will be doing then. If you can make someone smile or laugh, thats rewarding.

The YouTube video link, is that you all?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I had someone who would bring their dog everytime they were admitted we had to care for the dog as well as other people. Feeding ,walks, clean up after it etc. It was not fair to us and the others we cared for. The dog was supposed to be a therapy/helper for the patient never saw it fetch anything for the patient only eat sleep and other normal things dogs do. If we refused or didn't have time we were told it was our responsibility. I felt we were just being used as a kennel. Obviously if it was just a visit or was there with a family or handelier I had no problem if it was trained or behaved. I am a dog person BTW.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
That’s great work you will be doing then. If you can make someone smile or laugh, thats rewarding.

The YouTube video link, is that you all?
Yes the video link is my wife mostly and myself the reporter Meredith Helline saw us a couple of times and then got a hold of us to do the story. Her and the videographer spent almost 3 hours riding around with us. She is a award winning reporter for those type stories and is truly one of the sweetest people I've met

1 - 20 of 30 Posts