M14 Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Registered
281 Posts
I am old enough (57) to remember when McDonald's had the red and white tiles and yellow arches, with the burger-headed guy on the sign like in the OP's pic. I was a little kid but can still recall it.

Someone mentioned the Red Barn.....I remember that too. How about Burger Chef, anyone recall that?
I am old enough "70" that I could get a big mac,fries and a drink for a $1 and this was out in Californication

Reactions: nf1e and luigi

· Registered
281 Posts
I joined the USMC a long while after some of you in 79. I was stationed at 29 Palms where the only fast food was at the bowling alley. It was great if you wanted to save money and most of us could not afford to get off base but there was nothing off base either. The club was full every night. Lived in concrete squad bays. What a memory, if these kids today were treated this way they would most likely melt down and have a good cry.
During my first enlistment 71-75 in the Seabees we live in thirteen men huts until we deployed to Guam then we lived in 4 man room barracks that was high living

· Registered
3,109 Posts
I wouldn't mind the two tone Ford, may not be a muscle car but that's ok
My mom had a 1958 Ford stationwagon that year....ughh. When I was in High School it seemed that the most popular "classic" cars for customizing were the 1955-57 chevy's. Metal Flake paint job, dumps on the exhaust, Hurst shifter kit, rolled and tucked uphostery, chrome wheels, lowered rear end, etc.

· Registered
12 Posts
I remember when, growing up in the 60s, there were only 4 fast food joints nearby where I lived in south Denver. There was Mickey D's, an A&W Root Beer drive in, a Bell Taco (not Taco Bell), and a joint called the The Red Barn. I flipped burgers for a while at The Red Barn, and hated it. Then I got a "real job" at a car wash, and then I joined the Army when the 1973 test gasoline shortage hit Colorado - a year before the Arab Oil Embargo. No local Burger King, Taco Bell, or anything else close by.

People today don't realize how their lives have been changed by fast food - and not for the better.
Do you mean Dell Taco?

· Registered
162 Posts
My mom had a 1958 Ford stationwagon that year....ughh. When I was in High School it seemed that the most popular "classic" cars for customizing were the 1955-57 chevy's. Metal Flake paint job, dumps on the exhaust, Hurst shifter kit, rolled and tucked uphostery, chrome wheels, lowered rear end, etc.
I had a 55, and we jacked up the rears, not the front ends. Shackle kits and moon hub caps. The "cool" guys with money had Cragar mags..

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,626 Posts
Do you mean Dell Taco?
Nope, Bell Taco. Started by the brother of Glen Bell, the guy that started Taco Bell. Bell Taco is long gone, but they got a lot of my money as a teenager. Funny, I can't even find a reference to them on Google or Wikipedia.

· Registered
12 Posts
I joined the USMC a long while after some of you in 79. I was stationed at 29 Palms where the only fast food was at the bowling alley. It was great if you wanted to save money and most of us could not afford to get off base but there was nothing off base either. The club was full every night. Lived in concrete squad bays. What a memory, if these kids today were treated this way they would most likely melt down and have a good cry.
I was there at the same time, at the Comm. Elect. Schools as an instructor. You're right on about the place then, not much to do!

· Registered
210 Posts
I was there at the same time, at the Comm. Elect. Schools as an instructor. You're right on about the place then, not much to do!
Lived in the squad bays my whole time aboard Pendleton. The younger crowd called them "crack houses". By the time I left, the name was a good fit, sadly. '50's curtains still in the windows. plumbing leaked, you get the picture. When I was stationed on Margarita in the '70's, we bought much of our own cleaning gear for field day. We 'acquired' matching wll lockers and painted them. We tore down the old curtains and painted the two lower rows of windows that pale green to match the bulkheads. We painted an EGA on the deck in the center of the squad bay, and nobody dared step on it-EVER. Rule was, your cover was removed by the second step inside the hatch, or you got strong. Within the platoon, the Guide (remember him?), Squad leader, and Fire Team Leaders were the LAW. We had no LT, as we were under T.O. Our Platoon Commander was a Guamanian Staff Sergeant with a couple of tours in Nam under his belt. Man, I mean we were TIGHT. Later, I transferred to second platoon E 2/7 at Mateo. They were already living in the 'hotels" by then. Later, on a pump to Oki, a bunch of us ran into some of my guys from second platoon F 2/5. Man, the stories we shared with them. I sure miss those days!

· Registered
210 Posts
I have watched videos of the production of nuggets using " chicken paste". Haven't eaten any in a few years, but I don't think they are any worse that what most Americans have become accustomed to eating.
Right/ I'll flirt with death, now and again. Tastes pretty good to me. Better than some of the chow halls I've eaten in, that's for sure!

· Registered
3,109 Posts
If that,s the McDonalds on Florance off the 605, it's still there. They have a museum there also with Speedy, little guy on the sign, as well as other memorabilia from back in the day.
I think the OP's picture is from the first McDonalds in San Bernadino, CA.

· Registered
208 Posts
I am old enough (57) to remember when McDonald's had the red and white tiles and yellow arches, with the burger-headed guy on the sign like in the OP's pic. I was a little kid but can still recall it.

Someone mentioned the Red Barn.....I remember that too. How about Burger Chef, anyone recall that?
We had a Burger Chef in town. I went once with my mom, remember a small burger with too much mustard. The store went belly up soon afterwards.

I vaguely recall the introduction of the Big Mac...I must have been 3 or 4 at the time, my dad came out to the car with it in the bag, we both took a bite, looked at each other, put it back in the bag drove the three miles down the road to Lobsterman and split a takeout container of shrimp.

"Don't tell your mother"

Bill

· Registered
14 Posts
I remember flying back from Vietnam in 1970 on an American Airlines freedom bird. The Captain announced over the intercom that "Gentlemen, we are about to cross the continental shelf of the United States of America". Some dummy sitting up forward looked out the porthole and announced "Look, right down there, it's the golden arches of a McDonald's!" We cracked up. The real mistake was the Captain calling a bunch of Marines "gentlemen". 😁

41 - 59 of 59 Posts