M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Registered
3,631 Posts
I remember when, growing up in the 60s, there were only 4 fast food joints nearby where I lived in south Denver. There was Mickey D's, an A&W Root Beer drive in, a Bell Taco (not Taco Bell), and a joint called the The Red Barn. I flipped burgers for a while at The Red Barn, and hated it. Then I got a "real job" at a car wash, and then I joined the Army when the 1973 test gasoline shortage hit Colorado - a year before the Arab Oil Embargo. No local Burger King, Taco Bell, or anything else close by.

People today don't realize how their lives have been changed by fast food - and not for the better.

· Registered
Bula
314 Posts
I joined the USMC a long while after some of you in 79. I was stationed at 29 Palms where the only fast food was at the bowling alley. It was great if you wanted to save money and most of us could not afford to get off base but there was nothing off base either. The club was full every night. Lived in concrete squad bays. What a memory, if these kids today were treated this way they would most likely melt down and have a good cry.

· Registered
1,400 Posts
That's because horses were healthier then and more available. They have to use inferior cow meat or whatever else they can shovel off the floor today.
Their ''foods'' today are nothing more than processed garbage. For example, a chicken nugget, never was a nugget.
It starts off as a chicken processed in, you guessed it, China. Workers use high pressure water to strip the meat, along with everything else, from the carcass. This slurry is collected and then pressed into a ''nugget."

I have renamed their franchise without permission.

McDeaths

· Registered
3,132 Posts
Their ''foods'' today are nothing more than processed garbage. For example, a chicken nugget, never was a nugget.
It starts off as a chicken processed in, you guessed it, China. Workers use high pressure water to strip the meat, along with everything else, from the carcass. This slurry is collected and then pressed into a ''nugget."

McDeaths
Not sure where you got your info from but 99% of USA chicken products are made in the USA! I don't eat McNuggets because ( as you mentioned ) they are "chopped and formed" meat from the chicken breast and thigh meat. Some processors use "water jet" cutters to automatically remove the meat from the bone. Most often better yields are gained by manually deboning the meat by hand.

· Premium Member
22,413 Posts

McDeaths
I have watched videos of the production of nuggets using " chicken paste". Haven't eaten any in a few years, but I don't think they are any worse that what most Americans have become accustomed to eating.

· Registered
3,132 Posts
I have watched videos of the production of nuggets using " chicken paste". Haven't eaten any in a few years, but I don't think they are any worse that what most Americans have become accustomed to eating.

Art,

Do you eat sausage, bologna, hot dogs, etc.? Same process :sneaky:

· Registered
36 Posts
While TAD at Gieger, 3 of us went in on an MG for cheap, that car was always gone & we shared it well, chow hall wasn't to bad but, the food trucks or Sonic got my $$. I hoped 4 deployments would save me from the water at Lejeune but, in 2018 I started the fight of my life, I'm 100%SC, & we'll see how much this class action gets me, I still need an m1903 & M1941 to finish my collection off. Semper Fi Brother...!!!

· Registered
269 Posts
I remember our first McDonald’s from about ‘59 or ‘60…the old store with read and white tiles and the lighted Golden Arches…burgers were 15 cents. Loved the fries.
No, McDonald’s was never a culinary adventure, but I still enjoy it.

· Registered
444 Posts
I am old enough (57) to remember when McDonald's had the red and white tiles and yellow arches, with the burger-headed guy on the sign like in the OP's pic. I was a little kid but can still recall it.

Someone mentioned the Red Barn.....I remember that too. How about Burger Chef, anyone recall that?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts