M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have counted the windage clicks and was wondering if they would be the same i figured they would but was un sure. Took them completly apart and cleaned, greased, and re adjusted the sights to same number of clicks but was womdering. Thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm with Boomer and Stormtrooper as to the need to clean but as far as re-zeroing it I don't see a need too if you counted the number of clicks it was set at before you took it apart. Windage shouldn't change either since it's mechanically adjusted by way of the threads on the windage knob interacting with the threads on the site base....

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Depends on how accurate/consistent the ratchet teeth are; those on the windage, elevation knobs and the rear aperture. If you can assemble them dry and there is any aperture play...you will need to re-zero.
I suspect that there will be little difference on up close targets but the deviation will increase at 100/200 yards and beyond.
This is not any different than removing a scope/mount(non-Bassett) and reinstalling it.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Unless sand, dirt and or water got into your rear sight, there is no other reason unless your were bored to disassemble it. Otherwise use your ap brush with some clp and you'll be fine. Didn't they teach you that in boot camp? Re-zero your weapon if you have disassembled your rear sight.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You'll have to sight your weapon again since you disassembled the sights. While your windage will more than likely be close to your original zero, your elevation will be off especially at the long ranges.

I replaced the rear sight assembly on a friend's M1A when he dropped the rifle on the sight and his settings from his original zero put rounds low and left at 100 yards. The normal variables between manufacturers, lots and reassembling results in changes in your zero settings.

Unless damaged, switching components, submerged in mud, sand or other contaminates there is no reason to disassemble the rear sight assembly. Mark it up as a life lesson, re-zero your rifle and have fun shooting.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless sand, dirt and or water got into your rear sight, there is no other reason unless your were bored to disassemble it. Otherwise use your ap brush with some clp and you'll be fine. Didn't they teach you that in boot camp? Re-zero your weapon if you have disassembled your rear sight.
No they didn't teach us I went thru basic with an m16a2 the rear sights were not taken apart, as a reason of just being bored to death one night I was watching one of tonybens videos and figured I would learn how to take it apart and clean/grease it and glad I did because it was bone dry, just bought it new back in august and like I said no grease. Thanks for all the input guys! Hey the only dumb question is one not asked right.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
No doubt it would depend on the degree of accuracy you were looking for, but I would never voluntarily rely on sights that had ANYTHING happen to them.

·
Banned
51 Posts
No they didn't teach us I went thru basic with an m16a2 the rear sights were not taken apart, as a reason of just being bored to death one night I was watching one of tonybens videos and figured I would learn how to take it apart and clean/grease it and glad I did because it was bone dry, just bought it new back in august and like I said no grease. Thanks for all the input guys! Hey the only dumb question is one not asked right.
I went through boot camp in June 3rd-Auguist 31st,1990 and I also used the M16A2. No one said it was a dumb question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts