M14 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
I recall reading years ago that early 45 Colt bullets were 452 and 453, but bores were eventually tightened to take advantage of all 451 and 452 bullets on the market.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I think that's effectively what I recently red in the Lyman book that was provided to me. "The grooves of Pre-Wolrd War II revolvers normally measure .454" in diameter. Later production revolvers and lever actions rifles are built with .451" diameter grooves."

However, in their testing data, they cite using a Hornady HP/XTP #45200, which if I look it up... specifies a diameter of .452 and is also jacketed...

The sierra JHP #8800, 185 gr specifies .4515

The speer JHP #4479, is listed at .451 even...

I don't want to blow anything up, but that would imply that you can use from .451 to .452 in a 'modern' rendition of .45 Colt.

Is this kind of leeway seem likely?

Update
I called, but apparently they don't work on Sundays. I didn't realize it was Sunday, but now I do. I sent an e-mail. Will share what I hear. But if anybody knows for sure, don't hesitate to give a spoiler. :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think that's effectively what I recently red in the Lyman book that was provided to me. "The grooves of Pre-Wolrd War II revolvers normally measure .454" in diameter. Later production revolvers and lever actions rifles are built with .451" diameter grooves."

However, in their testing data, they cite using a Hornady HP/XTP #45200, which if I look it up... specifies a diameter of .452 and is also jacketed...

The sierra JHP #8800, 185 gr specifies .4515

The speer JHP #4479, is listed at .451 even...

I don't want to blow anything up, but that would imply that you can use from .451 to .452 in a 'modern' rendition of .45 Colt.

Is this kind of leeway seem likely?

Update
I called, but apparently they don't work on Sundays. I didn't realize it was Sunday, but now I do. I sent an e-mail. Will share what I hear. But if anybody knows for sure, don't hesitate to give a spoiler. :p

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
all im saying is if my place ever catches fire there will be people ducking 3 counties over , i did inventory today , man besides what i have in cans and cases , i found several 75 rd polytech drums loaded with 7.62x39 , cans and packs of 30's ready ,where are all the zombies i was promised zombies

Reactions: MuppetMeat4Me

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm doing OK on some calibers but could be better on others. I had been going to the range more with 7.62x51 before the crazy hit so I didn't restock as quickly as I should have but still have a few cases.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Funny that I was thinking along these same lines so decided to do a little inventory and found a bit of imbalance. Plenty good enough, I originally had thought.
But I opened one container only to find .44 magnum. A lot of it. How am I ever gonna shoot all THIS?

It was then I finally realized that's how to judge when you have enough. When you look at it and realize it's more than you can ever imagine shooting.

So I have enough .44 magnum. That's a lock. But other calibers? A couple that look like I actually COULD shoot that much. I'll have to admit not having enough 9mm and maybe not quite enough .300BLK. .308, however, is good.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
The zombies say This election is normal no fraud just live with it . when defeated I'm taking there ammo.
dont make me get my tinfoil out

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Be careful Sir what you ask for, they're out there but the zombie apocalypse is actually the tweeker apocalypse.
m14brian
i live in the boonies , WV , we had a nice quiet stretch of road , they carted out a douche bag in a body bag two spreads over from a OD maybe 6 or 8 months ago

Reactions: m14brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have to ask yourself if you have enough, then you aren't comfortable with what you have. My guess is that a lot of ranges are going to be a lot less active until people see which way it's going to fall. I am taking note of the sites that jacked their prices 300%. I don't have to worry about this any more because what I didn't loose in the boating accident I turned in to my local law enforcement agency.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Ammo is getting hard to find. Today at the range, guys were buying 2-fer's and bumming loosies. :p

·
Registered
463 Posts
What exactly is enough?
I as an avid firearms enthusiast and weekly trip to either my range or the clubs, more of club as the town is expanding, I will keep my proficiency up with a couple mags, cylinders of .45 to begin, 1911 or SAA. Then I do not like to neglect any firearm as all have their defining characteristics. That is what makes it fun for me.

Ammunition in my lifelong thinking is like a currency that you will never want to use but if you do not practice, practice, practice you lose your edge. You may have fired a thousand from your AR, M1A, but if it sits idle for a year you lose a little edge until you get that 20 rounds down range. That may be the difference.

That is 4 different calibers already. Mix in the use of .22 caliber for the Kids and Grandkids, and they like to practice, and I can moderate usage with a 79' Winder Musket or any bolt or falling, rolling block Rifle. Fun for me just to be range rover.

Throw in the practice with auto .22's for malfunction etiquette and the round count goes up.

My answer is the same as TheShooter, What is enough? But with an addendum, I will say Never Enough. When you have Navy 20mm sea cans full and 2 men can barely lift to move, Maybe you have enough of one caliber, NOT.

Heck I bought 2 400 round cans today for 75 cents a round tax pd, because if I do not use it my Friends will. Its Never fun to shoot alone. If you are Harry homeowner and have a firearm for the house, 250 round case for shotgun or 500-1000 for pistol, and if you can reach out from the home with a rifle of 75 plus yards, then another thousand for immediate protection. More if you need cartridges for an extended standoff, but then fire has its uses also.

And before I get called out for adding to the price carnage, well the owner who sells thousands of firearms per month told me yesterday that the manufacturers are Having to "raise price" to cope with the increased cost of materials and labor.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
well , i keep a reserve that doesnt get touched in each caliber , because if i have said it once ive said it a thousand times ,a firearm with no ammo is just a really expensive club, my buddy and i usually go halvsies on a thousand rounds of this or/and that and thats what we feed on , but i do not dip into the coffers

·
Registered
463 Posts
And if you reload you should of had at least 10,000 primers minimum when last year they were 30 bucks a thousand. Bullets, powder was available and priced at "normal levels". Normal to me is 8 bucks a pound but it is not the 80's any more. And I probably have some Dupont around in tin somewhere.

Buying bullet molds, moulds, for rare calibers, or firearms that require lead because of age or design has to have materials or equipment for casting balls or bullets for bore size. Swaging for bore sizing of single firearms takes equipment and casting materials to be self sufficient. Slugging bores for lead casting is the best way to determine what sizing is needed for best accuracy. A single pistol design, SAA made by different makers or time periods should be slugged for best accuracy. And black powder in the mix also, I would never shoot a jacketed bullet from my early 45/70 73' Springfield. And I do not want to spend 2 dollars a cartridge when I can load one for the cost of a primer and powder. Giving up convenience.

I have been collecting lead for 40 years between my job, and a great friend is a plumber. I have 1,000 plus pounds that I will never shoot all of it but it is here in 55 gallon barrels when needed. Copper probably the same amount, only copper takes another skillset altogether. So "precious metals" can be primary or secondary ammunition supply, or can become currency.

I could continue but I think preparation has to begin somewhere, and continue as funds become available to protect what is Freedom to you and your Family, and Friends. Annnd have an exit strategy for your poor Wife or Children to which I have properly instructed in the fine arts of self preservation.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
theres going to be two types of people , those without toilet paper and ammo , and those that have plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper , lol , J/K,,,,,

im using that for my tag line , every now and again my old brain has a moment of clarity

·
Registered
30 Posts
As far as ammo stockpile goes, I have lost count 3 years ago. I am old and arthritic. I detest lifting ammo cans, much less opening and
taking inventory. I just take what I need and shoot, which isn't much. I add a few more when cheap and let it go at that. You know how much
500rd lot of 308 weighs! So, I don't count no more. I detest going to crowded ranges for the same reason for everyone. I have enough of
the 308 FGM and 3006 Lake City to last. At least for a year, anyway.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
As far as ammo stockpile goes, I have lost count 3 years ago. I am old and arthritic. I detest lifting ammo cans, much less opening and
taking inventory. I just take what I need and shoot, which isn't much. I add a few more when cheap and let it go at that. You know how much
500rd lot of 308 weighs! So, I don't count no more. I detest going to crowded ranges for the same reason for everyone. I have enough of
the 308 FGM and 3006 Lake City to last. At least for a year, anyway.
I hear you on the range thing , I dont care for them either , kinda has that going to the gym to work out vibe , I have 32 acres I've measured out to 200 yards to the tree line where I shoot and have a 200 foot mountain as a back drop , break of trees before that and a big brush pile directly behind my hillbilly target , aka cardboard box with a orange spray bomb dot or two on it

Reactions: Arcticshooter
41 - 60 of 74 Posts