M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
NSR
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

In view of the times I was wondering how I sit with my ammo stores. Soooo, Turkey Day I dug into my stash to take inventory. Found out I was in good shape and that if the feces hits the oscillator I'll be hip deep in empty hulls and brass. It was a GOOD feeling. Especially in view of the current cost/availability of any ammo.

Do you know how you are sitting with regard to ammo in your hard times armory?

Semper Fi,

Wes

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've always gone with the philosophy of "buy it cheap and stack it deep". After the last panic I waited till prices on ammo came back to a "normal" level and bought when I saw a decent deal....but not crazy buying or hoarding. For my lesser used firearms/calibers I have about 1K for those and much more for 30.06, .308, .223 .45, and .40S&W.
My concern after the last "panic" was reloading components and stocked up on powder and bullets but fell behind on primers. After reading about prices on primers lately I did an inventory check and found 10K of large rifle primers I had forgot about, which put me in better shape than I had thought.
I think I'm in pretty good shape!

I think the days of deciding to go to the range and stop by the sporting goods store for ammo at a decent price are gone for some time.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm not as well off in 9mm as I thought , but have enough .357 and .38 special to make up for it. I did an inventory yesterday too !

·
Administrator
17,666 Posts
Do you know how you are sitting with regard to ammo in your hard times armory?
Semper Fi,
Wes
As I noted a few years ago here, while moving to Oklahoma the barge that I had rented in New Mexico to carry all of my ammunition and rifle across the Rio Grande sank on a sandbar. All hands on board and supply's were lost, it was a terrible tragedy plus it made the Rio Rancho Newspaper. Just remember everyone the "Ten Golden Rules of Ammunition"

XXIV Corps

·
Premium Member
7,178 Posts
I have all the ammo I need, several boxes of 22 cal and several boxes of 12ga for my shotguns! If a couple boxes of 12ga bird shot won’t do it, I will fall back on my Buckmark 22!

REN 😎

·
Registered
11,479 Posts
The industry prediction for catching up has been late spring, IF Trump stays in office. Now, all bets are off. If Harris turns the entire country into Commiefornia, you will probably not be able to have anything shipped directly to you. Everything firearm related will have to go thru a dealer, with heavy fees and taxes applied.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Based on past patterns, and trends, I probably have more than I'll be able to shoot.

But I'd like to shoot more, make some more memories, in both variety and bulk, involving explosions and laughter, so more wouldn't hurt as a hedge.

I can't imagine a SHTF scenario where I got myself (or just dumb luck landed) into a situation where long-term access to ammo was a deciding factor and I still pulled through, let alone emptied the drug store.

When ammo was readily available between the last Obama draught and Newsom's Plan to start remaking the nation in his imaginary utopia, with The Machine leading the way, I didn't have a lot to spare, what with kids still in the house and the sporadic nature of my job, but started piling away when deals were available with what I could spare for the month, which wasn't a lot, but a case or two at a time adds up. You guys sure helped pointing out deals to .308 of reasonable quality for the money, and ammoseek was my regular consultant, and SG ammo was willing to send in supplies across the lines.

With an FFL-03 and a COE, I even extended that window a bit with direct delivery, and once even paid the poll tax and jumped the hoops to get stuff delivered to my local 'real' FFL, making economic use of his generous bulk transfer pricing. The amount of additional paperwork was absolutely incredible.

I wouldn't mind falling across some .45 Colt, but I won't beat myself up about that, because I know in my heart it is Ted's fault, and who could have known that I'd fall in love with a Lever Shortie over the Interweb. I was able to find some brass, and somebody I know says they can point me towards appropriate bullets and primers. And, it doesn't have to be high volume to be a quality love affair, though somebody said of love, I think it was some movie, "Bull____. More is more." Well...

I'm hoping for 'normal' to return, at least for awhile until the next 'new normal'. While I probably 'have enough', should appropriate primers ever become available again at a price that doesn't require lube, I would imagine I might start working towards a small pile of those as well as complimentary components. I think the next rolling hobby goal is learning to reload in earnest. I've got enough supplies to make use of any brass that is reloadable, for sure, for a good run. It's a start...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just for fun I searched around the army’s TDA and TOE sites on the web to see if there was some simple formulas maybe by unit and mission types but all I found was a lot of logistics BS and complicated models.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Based on past patterns, and trends, I probably have more than I'll be able to shoot.

But I'd like to shoot more, make some more memories, in both variety and bulk, involving explosions and laughter, so more wouldn't hurt as a hedge.

I can't imagine a SHTF scenario where I got myself (or just dumb luck landed) into a situation where long-term access to ammo was a deciding factor and I still pulled through, let alone emptied the drug store.

When ammo was readily available between the last Obama draught and Newsom's Plan to start remaking the nation in his imaginary utopia, with The Machine leading the way, I didn't have a lot to spare, what with kids still in the house and the sporadic nature of my job, but started piling away when deals were available with what I could spare for the month, which wasn't a lot, but a case or two at a time adds up. You guys sure helped pointing out deals to .308 of reasonable quality for the money, and ammoseek was my regular consultant, and SG ammo was willing to send in supplies across the lines.

With an FFL-03 and a COE, I even extended that window a bit with direct delivery, and once even paid the poll tax and jumped the hoops to get stuff delivered to my local 'real' FFL, making economic use of his generous bulk transfer pricing. The amount of additional paperwork was absolutely incredible.

I wouldn't mind falling across some .45 Colt, but I won't beat myself up about that, because I know in my heart it is Ted's fault, and who could have known that I'd fall in love with a Lever Shortie over the Interweb. I was able to find some brass, and somebody I know says they can point me towards appropriate bullets and primers. And, it doesn't have to be high volume to be a quality love affair, though somebody said of love, I think it was some movie, "Bull____. More is more." Well...

I'm hoping for 'normal' to return, at least for awhile until the next 'new normal'. While I probably 'have enough', should appropriate primers ever become available again at a price that doesn't require lube, I would imagine I might start working towards a small pile of those as well as complimentary components. I think the next rolling hobby goal is learning to reload in earnest. I've got enough supplies to make use of any brass that is reloadable, for sure, for a good run. It's a start...
Does the .45 colt take .452 bullets? If so I have some you can have for cost of shipping.
Bob

·
Forum Jester
7,320 Posts
a man never has enough ammo,nor a big enough truss to carry it all

1 - 20 of 74 Posts