M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
"The idea: If the technology is good enough for police officers, it should be good enough for consumers. Armatix is developing a 9mm smart gun targeted at the law enforcement market. "

oh really. well if ar-15's are good enough for cops then why aren't they good enough for civies?

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Will such a system ever be reliable enough to bet your life on? I bet not. And do I want my daughter to be hiding in the closet holding a gun that won't shoot for her? Well no.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
If we cant sell them, we'll get them mandated

`The REAL IDEA behind this is " Since it was such a TOTAL FAILURE in the civilian market , we'll try pawning them off to Law enforcement and target the states where gun control is flourishing with the sincere hope their ignorant politicians mandate the leo's use this crap , so we can finally get rid of them".

Reactions: oldflyboy

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Battery dies at the moment you need that firearm to defend your life from a bad guy using "old school" technology. That story ends with your last words, "Wait! I need to change my gun's batteries!".

I am not interested. I will keep and use "old school" firearm technology.

Regards,
D1

·
Registered
129 Posts
There was a local PD here, who, many years ago, bought into the smart gun crap, and had their duty weapons fixed up, so that in order to shoot one, you had to be wearing a "Dick Tracy" ring. The dept. got rid of them fairly quick.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
High-tech = more parts = greater likelihood of system failure. This is just basic reliability.
Add a perp struggling for a cops firearm, and a damaged watch, odds change. No one gets shot, unless the perp has an old-tech pistol..but the cop had better be in good physical condition.

I will sit on the sidelines and watch for a while.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Let me tell you about the little dust-up we had here in Kalifornia, The Democratic People's Republic of.

Some of the natives found out that a local gun range, Oak Tree Gun Club in Santa Clarita, was being used to test the firearm from Armatix GmbH.

Here's a small sample of the reaction...enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/Oaktreegunclub?sk=reviews&hc_location=timeline

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,196 Posts
There was a local PD here, who, many years ago, bought into the smart gun crap, and had their duty weapons fixed up, so that in order to shoot one, you had to be wearing a "Dick Tracy" ring. The dept. got rid of them fairly quick.
This has been around since the 70"s that I know of, I remember one company that used a magnetic ring, they advertised in G&A magazine and there still in business...

http://www.tarnhelm.com/magna-trigger/gun/safety/magna1.html

Big problem with them is the only work on S&W revolvers and Ruger Security Six's, What PD uses wheel guns today?

Casey

·
Registered
385 Posts
I can see it now. A thug steps out from the ally with a gun. Before he can aim & fire his gun... you ...
quickly punch in your PIN # on your watch,
draw your gun & hold it near the watch to activate the firearm,
firearm activate,
then you finally aim your gun & shoot the thug.

Yeah... like that will work. ONTOS

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would not risk my A-- on some electronic gadget like that. Who knows what would happen if it got wet or got struck in a fight with some one. Especially the way electronic equipment fails now a day. NOT FOR ME

·
Banned
654 Posts
I think a better idea is to keep the guns 'Dumb', but make the people 'Smart' about firearms & politics in general.

Problem is, that solution results in fewer Dirtbags both on the streets & in office, and politicians CAN'T have that.
GI2

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Good review of this very issue on, ummmm, National Review's webpage:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/385109/smart-gun-maker-who-told-holder-frank-miniter

From the link:

"The Intelligun has an official failure rate of one in ten thousand. If the battery goes dead on a civilian model, the gun locks, but on models being marketed to police departments, a dead battery unlocks the pistol completely."

One design for me and another for thee is a telling argument. Why doesn't the pistol unlock under failure conditions for all pistols.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Even if the thing works 100% of the time what is to keep an entity, especially a government from coming up with electronic countermeasures that render such a weapon useless?

P.S.: That thing looks like a clunky POS, I can only imagine what the trigger feels like.

Reactions: Dekker

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Several years ago there was a gun being built targeted at LEO's that required the user to wear a special ring on the hand controlling the weapon to get it to discharge. I think it was more magnetic than electric.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts