M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't get a gun lock with my new M1A loaded. Had everything else in the box except the lock. Is SAI being cheap or should I go back to the gun shop?

Thanks.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I didn't get a gun lock with my new M1A loaded. Had everything else in the box except the lock. Is SAI being cheap or should I go back to the gun shop?

Thanks.
Drop Buy My House...I Will Give You One Of The Dozen + I Have In A Box!
Those Things Are Worthless...
The Guns Stores Often Give Them Away...
Ask Any 'Gun Nut' Friend For One...
You Just Bought A New M1A Loaded For How Much?
And You're Gonna 'Protect It' With A $.99 Cent Lock!
You Need Some SERIOUS LOCK-UP For That M1A

GI1

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Mine came with one, like CAVman said, looks to have cost all of 99 cents... Call SA Inc. and tell them your rifle was missing it from the box. They'll send you one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine stays in a safe, it don't need a sticking lock! When I want it I don't want to be looking for a dang key. Everyone in my house knows my weapons and in a pinch how to use them. I keep a pistol beside my bed at night and IT ANI"T LOCKED, sorry it is cocked and locked us the old timers called it. I grew up in a time when gun locks did not exist we taught gun safety, that was our lock. Guns was not a dirty word then.

Sorry for venting, this is just something that rubs me wrong. Teach your children and spouse how to use your guns

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't think I got one either don't remember , how are you storing your rifle? Mine are loaded in safe don't need locks safe is cheap just to keep out of hands of my children

·
Registered
166 Posts

Thanks.

Forget the lock!

Shoot the living daylights out of the rifle (at least 500 rounds) and report
back with lots of pictures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bought my Scout a week or so ago and it didn't come with a lock. I think this is the first firearm I have purchased that didn't come with a lock.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just called Springfield to confirm. They said they no longer ship their rifles with locks. Strange because I always thought it was required by law.

·
Registered
914 Posts
It is. ATF requires that all manufacturers (as in class 7 FFLs, like me) provide a suitable locking device, or incorporate a locking system into their new firearms. BTW, in accordance with that rule, my new SAI NM, made just last fall, came with a lock. It was buried under the foam in the Docsosil (sp?) case.

They even want to see a sign at your place of business advising buyers of the necessity for manufacturers to include such a device when a new firearm is sold. I suspect that, if the gun store misplaces the device, it's then up to them to provide another one. I think, just as a legal precaution, I'd include one with any gun, new or used, that I sold, just to keep myself "exculpate" (as the lawyers would phrase it... barf...)

Often, storeowners remove and then lose or stack these somewhere, and then hope to sell them to mis-informed "civilians" who hope this little bit of pretty cheese-steel will prevent little Johnny or Matilda from doing something real silly with daddy's full-auto Thompson (DI2).

I have a number of them in a box, and at the SHOT every year, the Chinese offer cartons of them for a net-net cost of about $4.50 each if you buy in quantities of 100 or so. Of course they only fool the foolish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. So are you saying that Springfield Armory is breaking the law by not including a lock?

·
Registered
977 Posts
JHN,
I bought 2 recently and when I went to my FFL and took them out of the boxes, I noticed only one had the lock, or so I thought.
When I got home, I dug some more into/under the supporting flaps of the box and lo, there was the missing lock!
Yeah, they have to pack them in. In CA, its lock or safe or you run the risk of a fine if someone gets to your goodies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
m1jerm, you were right, I went back to the box to look under the cardboard and found the lock. Sorry for the confusion everyone. Im just wondering now why the SA rep told me that it didnt come with one.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
m1jerm, you were right, I went back to the box to look under the cardboard and found the lock. Sorry for the confusion everyone. Im just wondering now why the SA rep told me that it didnt come with one.
Probably cuz you asked: How come I didn't get a lock?

If you had asked...You know that lock that SAI that came with my new rifle?

GI2

Sorry, but some days it just seems like that...the Answer you get depends on the Question you ask...
I have zero faith in the average Customer Service Flunkie...
If the Q & A is not on their FAQ list, their 'script'...most of them are lost!
When I do occasionally stumble across someone who actually knows what the heck they are talking about...
I Find Myself Almost Emotional!
Thank you, Thank You, Thank You! Wow, You Made My Day!
GI2

Sad, But True...

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
977 Posts
JHN,
Yeah, I was all set to get irate about it myself, but then, for some reason, I got curious and started poking in there.
I do a lot of packaging work myself and while I thought the box was not much good for protecting an object that hefty, it might be used for storage in some capacity at least. Lucky for me too as I found my loaded coupon and manual buried in there amongst the plastic and brown paper.
Then I got all geeky and flattened and saved the box (to save for resale) so some lucky guy can enjoy the same experience when I sell it to him in a few years, ha ha!

·
Registered
823 Posts
...I Will Give You One Of The Dozen + I Have In A Box!
I finally gave them to my club's Home Firearm's Safety instruction to give away at his classes. Our police department gives them away. Other agencies also offer them. Each state has different laws in place. Some make it mandatory the are included. Some must only offer them.

·
Registered
467 Posts

Thanks.
JHN,
Congratulations on the new M1A.
Let us know how it shoots.
Middkid

1 - 20 of 21 Posts