M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
NSR
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I've decided that the M-14 hobby may be getting out of hand...

I recently purchased a McMillan M2A stock. That's not the issue. What it means is that when built it will be M-14 number 8 for me. That's a lot of 14's and I haven't even started to build all the variants yet...

Now I know that Art has around 50 some M-14's built and he seems OK to me.

I guess the only thing to do is to find a shrink that likes M-14's, too, and progress from there...DI5

What should I do?

S/F,

Wes

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,021 Posts
Lol, you're just fine.

I had 10 at one point, and that's no big deal as many other members have had that many. A few members have had more than 30, and a couple have more than 50. I won't mention any names to protect the innocent (or guilty). GITEN
m14brian

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The addict is asking other addicts...

Definitely.

But I don't mind. GI1

You can get to the variants next year.

Plus, 8 is way more than me, so it helps that I can tell myself, "I'm not like that guy. My number is reasonable."

You know, once I was relayed a conversation by a rich guy, who had spent probably close to a quarter million for an audio/video system, back in the days when a $15 million house was kind of a big expenditure, back before digital video was a thing, when High Definition was barely available, getting it to the display device most often meant 5 coax cables, just for the video, and if you wanted to view it on a screen wider than a couple of shoulder widths, it meant 3 gun, and not with the snappy magazine changes and running around with your own YouTube channel. Before Google even. 250 pound projectors installed hopefully with a motorized winch.

Anyway, he was talking about some other rich guy, who had spent even more than he had on the audio/video system, saying that guy was just absurd. Another guy would look at him and say, "Buy once, cry once, he should have bought the 'good' speakers." Of course that guy has probably never bought just one of anything either. GI2.

Well... you can probably find a lot of people who'd say we're all plain nuts to shell out good money on 'old' technology, especially when you can get the 'new' stuff so much cheaper. It was a big hurdle for me, mentally, to pony up for my SAI 'Loaded', which cost a good bit less for the rifle than what some spend for glass. Matter of perspective, I guess.

Another venture capitalist guy that I met, a lot more down to Earth, once told me a piece of advice that I have found valuable, repeatedly, and is a good response to that either perspective regarding what people should spend on what they enjoy. "Whatever, man."

I wouldn't say that real addiction isn't worth considering, if it is jeopardizing your financial security, or ruining personal relationships, or in any important way becoming dysfunctional, then yes, you do have a problem, and from time to time it is good to assess priorities and ask the question, "What do I really want, and what does this actually get me, and actually cost me?"

I know it's a question I need to throw up on my own radar time to time, as I know I get fixated on pursuing ideas. But time and resources are finite, and so, we choose.

In my opinion, if you're happy with your choices, with enough perspective to see a long view on it, good. Maybe keep doing that.

I realize, though, that I just spun off on a pointless tangent, because I know you understand the pond in which you're fishing, a pond of addicts. Good company, I think.USNA

No problem at all!

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
You are in good shape Wes. There is a significant difference between addiction and a collector of variants. Those that don't understand that may need professional help. I am told that TonyBen, Ted Brown and others are available to provide the said professional help.
This photo is of quite a few different possibilities with the M14 type rifle. I have added some since this photo was taken this Spring and more are on the horizon. There are much worse hobbies for us retired folks to participate in.

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e150/The%20herd%202020%201.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
747 Posts
You need professional help if you can't build them yourself. GI1

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Gents,

I've decided that the M-14 hobby may be getting out of hand...

I recently purchased a McMillan M2A stock. That's not the issue. What it means is that when built it will be M-14 number 8 for me. That's a lot of 14's and I haven't even started to build all the variants yet...

Now I know that Art has around 50 some M-14's built and he seems OK to me.

I guess the only thing to do is to find a shrink that likes M-14's, too, and progress from there...DI5

What should I do?

S/F,

Wes
Problem, What Problem? I am not seeing anything thing out of the ordinary here, anybody else see anything wrong?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I once had 6 but less now, but on my way soon to my FFL to receive the latest acquisition from a member here. I wont be able to bring it home today due to new laws here, must now wait 10 days!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
One day I'll get a 2nd M14 or M1A. Then I'll have 2.

That's where my problem stems from. I will most likely seek help then.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
12 is officially when you seek a therapist. And then the therapist puts a red flag on you with the feds because you pathologically collect firearms and ammo... So ya gotta be tryin' to plan something.

I decided with all the trouble with therapists, I'd just do something that would actually help me keep calm, and I could still enjoy the M14 hobby.

For the price of a visit to a therapist, I went to see me one of them ladies of negotiable affection, and negotiated some affection. Granted my money was gone off the bureau when I woke up, but so was she.

All the other women in my life, I basically paid to leave- without any "fringe" benefits, at least not before I paid 'em to leave.

So 12th or 13th ? Then consider you choice of "therapy" wisely. If you feel guilty and are still married, send your wife on a weeklong hatha yoga resort or some hippy dippy non-sense.

And if you believe I actually spent money on doing the wild thing with some chick who probably could give me something ajax won't wash off ? Then I have shares of the Brooklyn Bridge to sell you, and some gold plated tungsten- I call it the maroon pill investing strategy.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,607 Posts
You are in good shape Wes. There is a significant difference between addiction and a collector of variants. Those that don't understand that may need professional help. I am told that TonyBen, Ted Brown and others are available to provide the said professional help.
This photo is of quite a few different possibilities with the M14 type rifle. I have added some since this photo was taken this Spring and more are on the horizon. There are much worse hobbies for us retired folks to participate in.

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e150/The%20herd%202020%201.jpg.html][/URL]
I just wan't to know how long it took to set up that picture?

Casey

1 - 20 of 27 Posts