M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my first precision rifle match today, a DMR match. It was catered to semi-autos out to 600 yards from various shooting positions. As expected, I was the only non AR-15/10 on the line:

First stage was a prone 500 yard shot against 4 targets, with a no-shoot hostage in the middle. The 14 handled it easily, taking only 4 shots and only needing .3 mils in the left to rifle wind. Some of the AR-15s had a bit of trouble as wind seemed to effect the bulllets a little more. Some of the guys didn't dial for wind either.

As much as I would like to make a report about the 14 kicking tail all day, this was not the case. Being my first match of this type, I did not do a good job getting into positions. The barricades especially gave me trouble to a point where I said screw it to the barricades, and slung up, shooting from sling and ignoring the barricade support.

I had a few issues understanding the directions unfortunately, so out of the 7 stages, I crossfired in two of them, resulting in a Goose egg.

All in all, it was a good time, although I'm not sure if the type of match is for me. Prep time was essentially non-existent so other than the first stage, I never touched my windage knob, parallax knob, magnification knob, or bothered reading mirage. There was simply no time to. I ended up third from last, not disastrous shooting considering my lost stages. If I were to do it again, unfortunately I would take the AR-15. Mine is set up for 3-gun with extremely low recoil. I can get 10 aimed shots in the time it takes for me to get 1 off in the M14. This is not an exaggeration. Most of the stages were limited by time only, so the more shots sent downrange, the better.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Awww man, you should keep training with the M14 and the next story should be all about the M14 whoopin behind on the ARs and the next DMR match!

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Keep practicing using the sling! You figure 10 shots in 60 seconds on the 200 and 300yd rapids, you should be able to get your time and technique down pat soon.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I had the same experience with my DPMS SASS and the barricades. Hard getting a 15-17lbs rifle into position like that. You really need a shorter, lighter rifle for that kind of stuff. AR15 definitely path of least resistance.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep practicing using the sling! You figure 10 shots in 60 seconds on the 200 and 300yd rapids, you should be able to get your time and technique down pat soon.
You're thinking hi power competition. Yes I can get 10 aimed shots off in 60 seconds but some of the AR shooters got 40 shots off.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should add that the rifle performed great the whole match. The shots at 500-600 yards were fairly easy. Running a 175 SMK at 2700 FPS does that. The 300 yard shot on a 6" target through a slit in the barricade just big enough to fit an AR-15 but not M14 from standing, was not so easy.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
in a similar match I have shot ar-15, bolt gun, and the EBR....

The ebr earned me my best score.

Here's the deal, Even though the target may be small think of it like a machine gunner. Area targets!

Do your breath and ranging on the first shot, but always send about 4 more quickly behind it. it will correct for any miscalculation.

Using the high mag scopes is a must, but don't be dialed in too far for your target size/range relation.

dont worry about slinging up. I am guessing that you could not simply go prone for most stages.

these try to simulate combat, but I like to just find a good spot and stay in it till ive got my shots off. then move about. pushing up to further barricades gamer style seems like a good way to get dead.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I should add that the rifle performed great the whole match. The shots at 500-600 yards were fairly easy. Running a 175 SMK at 2700 FPS does that. The 300 yard shot on a 6" target through a slit in the barricade just big enough to fit an AR-15 but not M14 from standing, was not so easy.
Lenny, What load are you using to get 2700 fps out of a 22" barrel with 175's? That's about the point where you start pounding the rifle and yourself.

I've been using 2000MR and been hitting the 2700fps mark with Nosler CC 175's in my M14/M1A match rifles. None of them have grooved pistons or Schuster plugs, just the standard match mods.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Lenny, What load are you using to get 2700 fps out of a 22" barrel with 175's? That's about the point where you start pounding the rifle and yourself.

I've been using 2000MR and been hitting the 2700fps mark with Nosler CC 175's in my M14/M1A match rifles. None of them have grooved pistons or Schuster plugs, just the standard match mods.
that does seem rather brash.

I recenlty achieved 1650 fps out of a 168gr amax over 41.5 grains of benchmark in a 16'inch barrel. Needless to say it was a bit HOT.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
that does seem rather brash.

I recenlty achieved 1650 fps out of a 168gr amax over 41.5 grains of benchmark in a 16'inch barrel. Needless to say it was a bit HOT.
The guy who designed 2000MR did all the load testing with his M1A. 2000MR is relatively dense I'm using 47.8 grains (don't quote me on that) without coming close to filling the case. (wasn't a compressed load for sure). I chrony'd the loads so I know for a fact I was getting 2700fps. The load is at the point where I would start backing off and be careful during those 100 degree days but probably safe and not beating up the rifle too bad. Some people are willing to push the platform others will probably scream "op-rod abuse"... I say, to each his own.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Factory LC M118LR. 2011 headstamp. If I were loading my own, I would have dialed it back, but I didn't have time to load enough ammo prior. They said to bring at least 200 rounds and that's what I had. If I had known I would only use 70, I would have taken handloads. Not that it would have made a difference in the end though as my misses were from me.

I'm running a grooved piston, but standard plug. I also turned in a mancard and run a rubber pad instead of the steel buttplate.

·
Registered
823 Posts
A scout in a Sage would rock that, or a scout with a nice stiff fiberglass stick!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Lennyo3034, if you don't mind could you give me rundown on your rifle set up and your 2000mr load? From what I saw on the 100yd shoot out on snipers hide your rifle is pretty consistent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts