·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once you have the basics down and understand the process you can shop around for the best priced components. Look for closeouts, last year's model, discontinued items, dinged - scratched - or dented, small lots, or sale items. If you take your time and buy smart you can cobble a quality system together on the cheap...

Knowledge is power, knowing what to buy, and when to break out the wallet is half the battle when you DIY.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I too like the Goal Zero kits. I'm thinking about the Sherpa for now, and the 1250 further on down the line.

·
Eye Master
4,066 Posts
Call a solar panel company and see if anyone is leasing them in your area. Some of the more progressive financing of these has you sign a lease of something like 20 years. They pay for and install the panels, and they somehow split the savings with you (or maybe they keep the savings from the electricity they generate, and your savings come from the fact that you have to buy less from the grid). I don't know exactly how it works so check it out.

However, bottom line is that you can have solar installed, so if there is ever a blackout, you have backup, and you are saving money, and someone else paid for the panels and the installation. So if your goal is SHTF preparedness, you get it cheap. If your goal is to sever ties with organizations you are beholden to, it's not so good, because you just signed a 20 year lease ....

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call a solar panel company and see if anyone is leasing them in your area. Some of the more progressive financing of these has you sign a lease of something like 20 years. They pay for and install the panels, and they somehow split the savings with you (or maybe they keep the savings from the electricity they generate, and your savings come from the fact that you have to buy less from the grid). I don't know exactly how it works so check it out.

However, bottom line is that you can have solar installed, so if there is ever a blackout, you have backup, and you are saving money, and someone else paid for the panels and the installation. So if your goal is SHTF preparedness, you get it cheap. If your goal is to sever ties with organizations you are beholden to, it's not so good, because you just signed a 20 year lease ....
Art a big part of those deals, they are selling/trading the carbon credits. I did something like that myself but I only gave them the rights to the first 5 years of carbon credits.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I find it kinda funny people buy these "solar generators" for their electronic stuff which probably isn't going to work anyhow come a SHTF. Yet they still have no means of lighting or cooking.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I find it kinda funny people buy these "solar generators" for their electronic stuff which probably isn't going to work anyhow come a SHTF. Yet they still have no means of lighting or cooking.
...wait, are you saying if the zombies attack the grid I won't be able to surf the web and make full-tard comments on M14Froum and Instagram? How will we know what is going on if we can't Facebook?

Oh the horror,

maybe I should just let them get me in that case.

·
Registered
272 Posts
One of the only electronics I am concerned with is my Ebook. I want to have as much information on the hard drive as possible as opposed to dozens of books. There are also lighting options, and the ability to recharge batteries as well.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I'm getting the goal zero more for comms than lights. I'm perfectly happy with lanterns and candles for light.

..and the Goal Zero 1250 can power a fridge. ICONWINK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts