M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So myself and a few buddies got our certification for scuba diving, naturally we all are looking for dive knives / dive tools.

Any recommendations?

I am partial to Benchmade but what else is out there? I've been told that sheers or a pair of diagonal cutters are a good idea. Pretty sure the biggest thing we have to worry about getting tangled up in is fishing line. I like to be prepared, but I don't want to be going into the water looking like I am expecting a shark fight.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Myself, I have a titanium blunt tip, double edge blade on my BC. The straight edge also has a line cutter by the guard specifically for fishing line. The other edge is serrated and works well on rope.

I went with titanium since I dive both in fresh and salt, so stainless was something that needed more attention to prevent rust. I figured with all the post dive maintenance, not only the BC, dry suit, regulators and everything else that gets wet, one less piece of gear to spend time on was good. The only downside to titanium I've found is that it will not hold as good of an edge as steel. It gets the job done, no doubt, but it doesn't get "shave your face" sharp.

The only other tip I have is make sure it fits good in your bare hand and with your dive gloves on. That's the reason I prefer a fixed blade over a folder. If the water is 40 degrees or 80, I won't have a problem using it with gloves or a bare hand.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
I would look around and find a good used one. Seldom is a dive knife ever worn very much. I wear mine on my calf so, for me, a 3" - 4" long blade is enough. Some divers do some "prying" with their knife. If you do this kind of activity, a blunt, chisel nose would probably be best. I always carried a small knife around chest level. I found I used it much more than a large knife. The good thing about buying a used one is that you can examine it for rust.... which is bad on diving equipment. Many of the new knives look great in the store but will rust after a few dives. When your looking for a knife....... Wear the gloves you will be using during the dive. Check for "grip" and ease of access in getting it out of the sheath.

Good luck,

Hobo

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I have a spiderco Pacific salt on me( Light weight and full serrated) anytime I venture onto lake or the ocean.

With scuba you have a whole lot of stuff to bring so the Pacific salt is good it won't rust and is light and inexpensive in case it's lost.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I would look around and find a good used one. Seldom is a dive knife ever worn very much. I wear mine on my calf so, for me, a 3" - 4" long blade is enough. Some divers do some "prying" with their knife. If you do this kind of activity, a blunt, chisel nose would probably be best. I always carried a small knife around chest level. I found I used it much more than a large knife. The good thing about buying a used one is that you can examine it for rust.... which is bad on diving equipment. Many of the new knives look great in the store but will rust after a few dives. When your looking for a knife....... Wear the gloves you will be using during the dive. Check for "grip" and ease of access in getting it out of the sheath.

Good luck,

Hobo
Yep, there's always someone having a "getting out of diving" sale. I picked up a bunch of soft lead weights from a garage sale.

You're also right about the blunt tip and prying. I primarily dive wrecks, so having the option to use it as a small pry bar is great. If you just like to look at the pretty fish on a reef, you wouldn't need a blunt tip as much, if at all. Tailor your gear to the environment you dive.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Tailor your gear..........

Yep, there's always someone having a "getting out of diving" sale. I picked up a bunch of soft lead weights from a garage sale.

You're also right about the blunt tip and prying. I primarily dive wrecks, so having the option to use it as a small pry bar is great. If you just like to look at the pretty fish on a reef, you wouldn't need a blunt tip as much, if at all. Tailor your gear to the environment you dive.
-----------
Long, long ago as a newbie diver I always hesitated to modify any of my gear. As I moved more into commercial diving it just became a habit to cut, modify, wrap or tape my gear. The best way for a new diver to find out if his gear is fitted correct is to put aluminum foil over his mask while in the training pool and remove / replace all of his gear. When it becomes second nature to grab for a piece of equipment and find it right where it is supposed to be then the diver's focus can be on the task at hand.

Hobo

Photo - Me in 1986

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
buy used, it just needs to work. In my experience spear fishing, if you need it for real, soon as you get done with it, it gets discarded. You'll have other things on your mind. I remember when my friend was showing me his new $75 dive knife he had just picked up when he picked up tanks, I happened to get myself in a pinch with a 5ft cobia, he had to use his knife to cut away my spear line that had him tangled, last time he ever saw that knife

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
buy used, it just needs to work. In my experience spear fishing, if you need it for real, soon as you get done with it, it gets discarded. You'll have other things on your mind. I remember when my friend was showing me his new $75 dive knife he had just picked up when he picked up tanks, I happened to get myself in a pinch with a 5ft cobia, he had to use his knife to cut away my spear line that had him tangled, last time he ever saw that knife
My open water instructor told me not to buy anything so expensive, that if you drop it, you won't risk your life to go grab it off the bottom. Sounded like common sense to me.

Reactions: cruzie27

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Laugh but I use my Gerber LMF-II knife. It came with a nice sheath and leg strap so I wear it. Better to have it and not need it than to be in the clutches of something and not be able to get free. Here is the LMF....I just rinse well with fresh water every time to prevent rust or corrosion from the salt water.

-Sapp

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm no diver but the Kabar Becker BK3 Tactool looks like a big multi purpose dive knife. The square front and gut hook/strap cutter look handy just in case...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thor got a picture of your knife?

Whatever I go with it needs to be mounted or attached to my BC,. due to physical injuries reaching the straps on my fins is hard enough. I would think smaller would be better, I'd hate to have to rely on being able to reach a large knife down on my ankle if I needed it. We are only recreational open water certified and diving in (river/lake) fresh water so I do not think we will need anything too exotic.

I will have to keep a look out for those sales, it would be nice to find cheap weights to put in the weight & trim pouches on my BC. Not sure how I would feel about a folder,. I wear 3mil gloves while diving up here and I will get a pair of 5mil gloves for when it gets colder. So fixed seems like the logical way to go.

There is a pile of Benchmade black class knives at my house already that are similar to that Gerber,. but I would not be ok with dropping & leaving any of them on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
It's been so long since I've dove I couldn't tell you the brand knife I have tucked away in storage. Although if I was to get back into it I'd get a blunt tip.

-----------
Long, long ago as a newbie diver I always hesitated to modify any of my gear. As I moved more into commercial diving it just became a habit to cut, modify, wrap or tape my gear. The best way for a new diver to find out if his gear is fitted correct is to put aluminum foil over his mask while in the training pool and remove / replace all of his gear. When it becomes second nature to grab for a piece of equipment and find it right where it is supposed to be then the diver's focus can be on the task at hand.

Hobo

Photo - Me in 1986
Man, I always wanted to get into commercial diving but a Canadian I knew who started out as a Navy diver gone commercial talked me out of it. At the time he was just shy of 50 and had tons of career related medical issues which forced him into an early disability.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
My open water instructor told me not to buy anything so expensive, that if you drop it, you won't risk your life to go grab it off the bottom. Sounded like common sense to me.
When I first got my Randall Model 17 diver's knife and was showing it off to a diving professional, he joked that he would follow me around on every dive until I lost it. Which made me disinclined to wear it for the advertised purpose.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Thor got a picture of your knife?
I bought mine about ten years ago, so I think the exact model may have been discontinued, but a very similar unit is this one. It's the same manufacturer, I just think they made some improvements over the years.

http://m.scuba.com/scuba-gear-30/024566/Underwater-Kinetics-Blue-Tang-Titanium-Knife.html

It's the blunt one at the bottom of the picture. The grip is slightly different from the one I own and mine does not have any yellow in it anywhere. This knife I have mounted on the front of my BC hose with plastic zip ties. It sits about the pectoral muscle area and being right handed, it's easy to reach over and pull down. This sheath has a great locking mechanism that requires two fingers on either side of the blade to depress it, then the blade pulls out. I've never once had the knife come out of the sheath when it wasn't supposed to.

If you find yourself with any questions down the road, PM me anytime. I used to be an assistant instructor with a shop around here until I got my current day job and my schedule got unpredictable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.