M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't flame me here, but I always disassemble a new firearm to see how they're lubed prior to first firing them. Plus, I picked up a USGI slotted handguard that I wanted to try to fit, so I carefully broke down the rifle - it actually came apart very easily. I'd say the trigger group and receiver were "snug". The trigger came up with a good tug (don't think that's actually bedded, but I could be wrong). The receiver/barrel assembly just took a mild tap and it lifted out without a problem.

I have to say, I can't really detect the bedding (but there was a lot of grease in there). Hopefully they didn't forget it on this one (see photo below). Also, in the trigger was what appeared to be plumber's putty. I never saw that before - any idea what that was? Maybe a block to keep the release agent or bedding out of the trigger?

It was easy to remove the old plastic handguard and snap in the replacement without breaking the gas mechanism down. Once I had the op rod, spring and guide out, I just had to free the short end of the clip using the hole and then lift up from the rear. Putting the new guard in was just a matter of seating the front under the metal guide, pushing forward and then down at the rear.

Curious to hear any gunsmith's (or knowledgeable owner's) opinion on the bedding or that putty in the trigger.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
That's a lot of oil on the bedding! I keep the mating surfaces dry. The bedding looks okay from here. Whoever bedded it forgot to remove the clay. The clay is there to keep epoxy from flowing into the trigger housing and locking it in place.

Here's a bedding job I did last week...

Tony.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Like tony said, wipe down those critical surfaces with acetone, to get them bone dry.

What word do I see in the bedding compound?? Can't quite make it out.

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
Like tony said, wipe down those critical surfaces with acetone, to get them bone dry.

What word do I see in the bedding compound?? Can't quite make it out.
Springfield Inc, Geneso, IL

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a lot of oil on the bedding! I keep the mating surfaces dry. The bedding looks okay from here. Whoever bedded it forgot to remove the clay. The clay is there to keep epoxy from flowing into the trigger housing and locking it in place.

Here's a bedding job I did last week...

Tony.
Thanks Tony. I'm making my way through your videos - top notch stuff!

That's the way it came from the factory (very wet). I'll clean that up and trim the handguard a bit as I just watched that video on clearance. Thanks again.

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
You original handguard would have been factory trimmed so that it doesn't touch the receiver or stock. Be sure to do the same with the new one. If it is loose at the rear, put a piece of neoprene or a dab of silicone under it.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Wipe the bedding down with alcohol before you reassemble. Wipe off any oil you can see on the receiver as well.

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but get rid of the clay. It isn't hurting anything right now, but it may hold moisture, etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wipe the bedding down with alcohol before you reassemble. Wipe off any oil you can see on the receiver as well.

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but get rid of the clay. It isn't hurting anything right now, but it may hold moisture, etc.
Thanks. Yep, someone suggested acetone, but I was out, so I used alcohol and dried up the stock and also took out the putty. There was A LOT of oil from the factory. Seemed too thin to be grease. I know a lot of people recommend leaving the factory-bedded stocks alone, but it was super easy (maybe too easy) to field strip the new gun and I wouldn't want all that excess oil sitting there for a year before taking it apart.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bedding job looks fine BUT they forget to clean off the release compound and putty. Is this a Springfield Armory factory new rifle?
Yes, new to me, but manufactured November 2017. Model MA9102 National Match M1A Walnut/Blue. I have yet to shoot it, but I'm fairly satisfied with the quality so far. Nice wood. Action is smooth. Hope it's a good shooter.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.