M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, just joined because I always find myself on here reading threads.

This is my question, what directoin(s) does your M1AEBR move after firing, specifically in righty shooters while shooting standing up. I am a lefty and have noticed that mine goes up and to the left, making it impossible to do my beloved double taps accurately.

I have also noticed that the M1A seats closer to the left side of the chasis. This brings it further away from my shoulder but closer in for righty shooters. This is a feature on ALL EBRs but is not widely known.

This causes me to believe that the recoil for rightys is straight up and that I got the short end of the stick in being a lefty.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said, it's just something I enjoy doing with the rifle. Don't get me wrong, double taps aren't the only thing I do with my rifle either.

I just need to know what the direction of recoil is with an M1A EBR for a righty.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My M25 with a sling, recoils up and slightly to the left. Without a tight sling it is generally straight up and down.
The SAI's I have shot are roughly the same but not as consistent in my opinion.
I will have to wait until I get my other SAI back from the builder to know how that will react.

Once I get used to the rifle, I adjust my position so I know approximately where I am going to end up so it is easier to acquire my natural point of aim after recoil.

Hope this helps,
SMAWman

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dont know if it goes left. I am right handed. Will pay attention next range session. Seems to me my weapon recoils straight back and up. to the Right maybe, at the end of the recoil? Will report back after next range trip. No double taps since I took my Norenco out of the standard stock and put it in the Sage.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I've always known that a Garand and a M14 in a wooden stock had less wood on the left side. I've had more than a few USGI fiberglass stocks and have never noticed if the receiver is to the left ? My EBR stock....... I never had noticed either....and I'm a south paw too.
Never paid much attention to recoil other than tame it. My EBR with a Smith USCG muzzle brake doesn't lift either leg of the bipod only pushes straight back like it was designed to do.
Hmmm learn something everyday.....most days anyway.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I've had no problem shooting from any position with a bipod, mine stays planted too. I run a standard USGI flash hider too. I only notice the "up and to the left" recoil when shooting unsupported.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
sage mod 0 or sage mod 1?

A Mod 0, Sage M14ALCS to be precise.
Here she is!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5yylpg&s=8
I have a sage mod 0 stock grafted onto a GI fiberglass stock. I found the cheekpiece too wide and would have to cant my head to get a proper sight picture. It would rotate counterclock wise and and essentially upward upon firing. I ordered another cheekpiece from Sage... narrowed it so I wouldn't have to cant my head. That eliminated the rotating and the recoil was then only rearward. I suspect that with a Mod 1. rotation would be minimal because of a narrower cheekpiece.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's interesting, never would have thought that could make such a big difference. However I do like the original cheek piece, so if that is the problem then I'm SOL.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
That's interesting, never would have thought that could make such a big difference. However I do like the original cheek piece, so if that is the problem then I'm SOL.
the cheek piece was about $6 and only required removal of about 1/4" along the left side....it allows you to raise the cheekpiece higher and allows a more vertical head position and your chin clears the lop adjustment rails....cheap fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.