M14 Forum banner

Dimensions of the USMC modified Winchester trigger guard for the M40A1

1430 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Phil “Murphy” McGrath
Does anyone have a list of specs/procedures for modifying a Winchester trigger guard?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,438 Posts
Here's a pic, and I will note that each bottom metal plate was hand-fit to the rifle so the final length and small notch cut for the release was done after everything was mocked up. Here's my spare bottom metal piece from a retired 2112, but he didn’t do the final notch cut (see arrow) or trim it the exact length (corners are not yet beveled as seen below), as I didn’t have a spare stock for final trimming. Correct screws are shown as well.
Guitar accessory Font Wood Auto part Musical instrument accessory

I have not seen "specs" per say, and my understanding is that this was done in the late 1970s by hand. I have seen some subtle variations re the bevel at the corners and related notch cut.

· Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve,
If it's for a short action 700 I think you will find that the front screw hole in the trigger guard was removed and a new hole drilled along with a bushing put in the stock. I have these pictures but no solid dimensions to modify.

John

Attachments

· Registered
962 Posts
Not sure if they cut the trigger guard or not. I seem to recall there was a screw in front so, they may have relocated it and used an ADL type screw in front. Can't remember for certain. Too bad I sold mine or I would let you look at it.

Edit, you may be able to get the spacing for the front screw by measuring an ADL type trigger guard. I measured approx. 2.75" center to center for the holes on an ADL trigger guard I have.

According to the M40A1 build guide over on Sniper's Hide, they say they did have the front trigger guard screw. The magazine box was TIG welded to the receiver as I recall.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
Source: Death From Afar, Vol 1 (1992), by Norman Chandler, pages 124-125.
Motor vehicle Font Trigger Office supplies Gun accessory

Font Auto part Metal Rectangle

Overall length of mine is 3.258". I will also note that the milling for the M700 trigger unit was enlarged on this piece, it has a scallop cut. This might have been a later refinement on M40A1s, but I didn't compared it to my take-off stock which is now bedded, etc.
Bumper Automotive exterior Tool Bumper part Tints and shades

Best guess re hole spacing, center-to-center, is approx. 2.67" to 2.68".
Gas Rectangle Bumper Electric blue Automotive exterior

Hope that helps.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
There is a thread with 1800+ posts re M40A1 build guide. (not all is correct, but just an fyi):

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.