M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious to know if there is any significant difference in accuracy depending on where you mount a harris style bipod? Theres the option of using a picatinny style adapter that mounts onto a picatinny rail on the fore end of the stock. And then theres the adapter for the weep hole that gives you a qd stud which is made by harris. Would the qd stud location put unwanted tension on the stock affecting accuracy kind of similar to the gas cylinder mounted bipods?

·
Premium Member
7,975 Posts
I was curious to know if there is any significant difference in accuracy depending on where you mount a harris style bipod? Theres the option of using a picatinny style adapter that mounts onto a picatinny rail on the fore end of the stock. And then theres the adapter for the weep hole that gives you a qd stud which is made by harris. Would the qd stud location put unwanted tension on the stock affecting accuracy kind of similar to the gas cylinder mounted bipods?
Mounting using the weep hole is a concern as this is a very weak area, your first option would be the better one.

Better stability the better the accuracy.

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
Mounting thru the drain hole is the worst choice. It not only negates the draw pressure on the barrel, but may eventually crack the stock.

Mounting the USGI bipod on the gas cylinder is fine for service use, and will increase hit probability another couple of hundred meters when using iron sights. Different surfaces may change the POI, so it is not recommended for precision work.

I have never used the adapter that replaces the gas plug (Versa-pod), but it does not sound like a good idea. While the M2 clamp sits in the center of the gas cylinder, the Versapod adapter might torque the front of the gas cylinder upwards and the rear downwards. Coontinued use might peen the GC threads.

The rail that mounts in place of the sling swivel is your best choice for precision work. Be sure to mount the bipod directly under the screws, not on the forward section.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill actually be mounting the bipod onto my e2 stock. i was considering the harris adapter for the m1a. but as i thought it would be unwanted tension which will promote cracking in the future. would it be the same if i were to install a qd stud into the first of six holes on the e2 stock?

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
I have zero experience with an E2 stock, but if the holes are stong enough for a grip, they are probably strong enough for a bipod. Moving the bipod rearwards on a stock makes it easier to track a moving target, but less stable when trying to hit a stationary target.

I never liked the idea of mounting a bipod to a QD stud that was screwed directly into wood or fiberglass. It puts a lot of stress on a single point. It might be okay for firing a few shots out of a hunting rifle, but I don't think it is the best option for something that might see hundreds of rounds thru it.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Sadlak QD Post Assembly

Sadlak Front Rail - Note - this shows the Steel model

We have two Sadlak options for bipod mounting. We have a QD post assembly with an internal nutplate to disburse the load on the stock to prevent cracking and we also have a front rail with a QD stud and another without the QD stud for clamp-on type bipods and other accessories.

For the rail, our steel models also employ an internal nutplate. Our aluminum model does not use this nutplate. The screws for the Aluminum model are installed on the inside of the mount, through the stock and into the rail.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Sadlak Industries
860-742-0227 Ext 14
[email protected],com
or PM me here on the forum

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I just got a message from member leid telling me something I didn't know - the mounting holes in the E2 stock are 1", not 3/4" as on the standard stock. So, that spacing changes the picture. Both our QD post assembly and front rails are machines for a standard.

My apologies for the misinformation and thanks to leid for the heads up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks leid for the link to your thread. too bad i don't have the ability to drill my picatinny like you have done. i guess I'm going to resort to purchasing myself an adapter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts