M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
It seems most folks are shooting the 7.62 NATO, but I haven't seen any detailed posts about firing 308 WIN in the M1A, good or bad. Here is some additional info:

http://303british.com/

It seems that the head space other problems don't manifest themselves, because the tolerances are close enough in the M1A.

Look at the CETME (HK91 or G3) clone forums. There are posts about destroyed brass and worse when using 308 WIN. Most notably, the robust extractor rips the end off the cases and then a new round is jammed inside of what's left of the old round still in the chamber. I believe the lack of webbing in the bottom of the case and the higher pressure of the 308 WIN combined with weaker brass, fluted chamber, etc caused most of the problems when using 308 WIN in the HK91 type rifles.

I would like to hear from someone who has running brass 308 WIN through the M1A. I wonder about head space affecting accuracy, split cases, etc.

Best Regards

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've shot Federal GMM, Black Hills match, Winchester BST, Rem Corelokt and PMC FMJ in my M1A without a hick up. All are commercial .308 loads.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I exclusively shoot Fed. GMM through my IDF M-1A and have had no problems whatsoever. Personally, I don't believe that shooting commercial .308 ammo out of the M-1A will harm it at all, as long as it's quality ammo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've shot mostly aussy &port surpluse so far but 42grs of imr4895 +147fmj or siera 150gameking seems to shot better. just me. I try to shoot every 2-3days to keep the eyes sharp! sorry only 125yd range in the back yard. but right now it is so cold in michigan I spend all my time chipping ice off the flash hider!!!!ha ha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.