M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what is the real difference between Devine TX M1As and Radium TX marked guns? I’m aware the Devine guns are technically earlier and both pre-date the Reese acquisition. Any info is appreciated.

Reactions: BarryB

·
Registered
113 Posts
There were only about 200 Radium guns built.
Wondering what is the real difference between Devine TX M1As and Radium TX marked guns? I’m aware the Devine guns are technically earlier and both pre-date the Reese acquisition. Any info is appreciated.
The Devine RT 1 BX 210 DEVINE TX barrel address was hand stamped with unique individual dies on early production in 1971,72 and some 73 rifles . There are multiple variations of the barrel stamping using one or two lines and combinations of BOX and TEX , BX and TX or BX and TEX or BOX and TX. Also DEVINE TEX with no Route or box no. The barrel address was most often stamped under the gas plug going left to right towards muzzle. The DEVINE address was also stamped upside down or what I call inverted. All of those variations occur in the first 1500 serial numbers. Then a pantograph engraving machine replaced the hand stamping process in mid 1973 to apply the DEVINE address which was used until the Radium address came into use in October 1974. All in all there are 10 DEVINE original barrel marking variations. There was only one variation of the Radium address seen spread out between serial numbers in the low 2000 up to 2400 serial range.

·
Registered
113 Posts
No physical difference between the two. Radium TX was the last address used by Elmer before he closed down and sold to SAI. Radium TX marked rifles are scarce.
All of the Radium Texas rifles had a later receiver manufactured from a different supplier than the first 10XX receivers used in the early hand stamped DEVINE rifles. I have six DEVINE rifles built in Texas on 1971 Springfield Armory receivers and they are definitely machined differently than the later 4 digit Radium serial numbers. Many but not all of the early Devine’s have receiver heals were so hardened in the center that the Springfield roll stamps barely imprinted the steel. Only the outside rows of letters are normal depth. The received disconnect hole than disappeared on early production is present on most if not all of the Radium’s. Another early Devine receiver manufacturing change occurred between serial numbers 500 -700. I highly recommend Lee Emerson’s History and Development of the M14 Rifle’s Devine section as an outstanding resource for an explanation of the technical differences.

·
Registered
608 Posts
All of the Radium Texas rifles had a later receiver manufactured from a different supplier than the first 10XX receivers used in the early hand stamped DEVINE rifles. I have six DEVINE rifles built in Texas on 1971 Springfield Armory receivers and they are definitely machined differently than the later 4 digit Radium serial numbers. Many but not all of the early Devine’s have receiver heals were so hardened in the center that the Springfield roll stamps barely imprinted the steel. Only the outside rows of letters are normal depth. The received disconnect hole than disappeared on early production is present on most if not all of the Radium’s. Another early Devine receiver manufacturing change occurred between serial numbers 500 -700. I highly recommend Lee Emerson’s History and Development of the M14 Rifle’s Devine section as an outstanding resource for an explanation of the technical differences.
Thanks for the information, thanks for the cite to the book.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Devine RT 1 BX 210 DEVINE TX barrel address was hand stamped with unique individual dies on early production in 1971,72 and some 73 rifles . There are multiple variations of the barrel stamping using one or two lines and combinations of BOX and TEX , BX and TX or BX and TEX or BOX and TX. Also DEVINE TEX with no Route or box no. The barrel address was most often stamped under the gas plug going left to right towards muzzle. The DEVINE address was also stamped upside down or what I call inverted. All of those variations occur in the first 1500 serial numbers. Then a pantograph engraving machine replaced the hand stamping process in mid 1973 to apply the DEVINE address which was used until the Radium address came into use in October 1974. All in all there are 10 DEVINE original barrel marking variations. There was only one variation of the Radium address seen spread out between serial numbers in the low 2000 up to 2400 serial rang

·
Registered
113 Posts
Beautiful rifle. Congratulations. The 1974 Radium Texas M1A’s are an interesting and desirable collectible variation. Many were built into National Match rifles by Glen Nelson and other top builders of the day for competition. At that time they used USGI NM barrels that are marked on the side TRW, SA ,CA or SAK 7791362-the month and 2 digit year followed by heat lot number. Please provide more detail on the barrel, parts and other markings and pictures if possible. Thanks for sharing. Great Job !

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry to take so long to respond, unitized gas system, SAK 1963 NM barrel, USGI Springfield bolt, HRA op-rod, HR-A trigger housing, SA hammer, old school Bisonite bedding material…

View attachment 487207
View attachment 487211
View attachment 487208
View attachment 487210
View attachment 487209
Your rifle is a Devine M1A built NM in late Spring/early summer of 1974. The stock , bedding , parts and unitizing is pretty much identical to a confirmed June/July 1974 Devine M1A NM factory built rifle in my collection. Elmer Ballance’s primary match rifle builder was JJH. John Holden highly polished the bolt lugs, op rod and hammer. He etched the last 4 of the serial number on the side of the trigger group. A guy named Charles (Chuck) Krause was working for Elmer Ballance at the Devine location at this time and accurized rifles and used the same materials as John Holden. Chuch did not highly polish the op rod, bolt and hammer or etch the last four of the serial number on the side of the trigger group. I have two authenticated JJH Devine Factory NM builds and Elmer verified my rifle just like yours was an original Chuck Krause Devine NM build. Your barrel address is correct. Your rifle is in my opinion more collectible than a Radium address.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your rifle is a Devine M1A built NM in late Spring/early summer of 1974. The stock , bedding , parts and unitizing is pretty much identical to a confirmed June/July 1974 Devine M1A NM factory built rifle in my collection. Elmer Ballance’s primary match rifle builder was JJH. John Holden highly polished the bolt lugs, op rod and hammer. He etched the last 4 of the serial number on the side of the trigger group. A guy named Charles (Chuck) Krause was working for Elmer Ballance at the Devine location at this time and accurized rifles and used the same materials as John Holden. Chuch did not highly polish the op rod, bolt and hammer or etch the last four of the serial number on the side of the trigger group. I have two authenticated JJH Devine Factory NM builds and Elmer verified my rifle just like yours was an original Chuck Krause Devine NM build. Your barrel address is correct. Your rifle is in my opinion more collectible than a Radium address.
Thanks for the information!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts