M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the Forster full length sizing die and their micrometer seater as I use a Forster press and their does come with the die lock rings that work best in my press. The micrometer seater helps when working with different bullets or controlling seating depth when working up a load.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Depends on the application. For most reloading, most brands of dies are as good as another. I use LEE, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman and Redding. The only one I have an issue with is Lyman because unlike RCBS, if something breaks or wears out, too bad. They will replace it, but will charge you.
RCBS has the best warranty in my view.
Assume you are new to reloading. If so get some good books on the process, before you spend any money on equipment and tools.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Not new to reloading, new to the M1A. Do not under stand to need for the miccromer seating die. What is wrong with useing OAL, when seating Like I do with the others I load.
Its not needed, overkill. Use standard dies or maybe a small base sizing die if you have a tight chamber. Otherwise std dies work fine for sizing and seating. And no crimp needed either.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
For reloading the usual ammo w/ military brass, I use RCBS small-base to resize the casings for USGI barrels. For match stuff -I use REdding dies -for use in civilian NM barrels and use the single-stage. Just my preference. I have dedicated loaders for each cartridge for general loading. I don't like taking them apart after I spent time tweaking. I use RCBS 4x4s exclusively.

Seating the projectiles, there are many recipes for what powder and things you are using. There are many proven recipes out there that are very accurate.

·
NSR
1,824 Posts
For precision reloading the M-14 I suggest Redding dies. Also, for bolt guns give Whidden Gunworks dies a try. They are as good as it gets, but not cheap...

WhiddenGunworks.com

The Whidden die sets come in standard and neck sizing configurations...

Wes

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
I load and shoot between 5-10K of .308 annually and have found the RCBS SB X dies to work out the best for my M14s for precision and excellent functioning.

Occasionally I drift into Redding , Forster or Hornady dies for some other calibers for precision bolt rifles, but generally the RCBS gets the most use in my shop.

For seating, I like Forster or Hornady micro adjustable seaters. Whatta Hobby!

Motor vehicle Automotive design Office equipment Home appliance Gas

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Started off (in the late 70's) with Pacific dies (Hornady). Went to Lee dies for a bit when I didn't have access to my old reloading equipment. Then finally went to RCBS X dies when my wife got me a set for Christmas.

No issues with any of those three brands over the years.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
After many years and thousands of rounds I still use my Lee Precision ( full length ) dies. :)

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Not new to reloading, new to the M1A. Do not under stand to need for the miccromer seating die. What is wrong with useing OAL, when seating Like I do with the others I load.
The only reason I like the RCBS micrometer seating dies is you can top load the bullet, rather than balancing it on top of the case as you push the ram up.

But, like others have said - you can get pretty darn good results with just the basic set-up.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
A lot of good comments above. I have been reloading since 1982. To date the only dies I don't have experience with is Forster. However, I do have one of their trimmers and they are well made. I still have my RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit and I like to use the single stage when pulling bullets.

My preference order when buying dies:
1. Dillon carbide dies
2. Redding dies
3. RCBS dies
4. Hornady dies
5. Lee dies

As mentioned micrometer dies are not required but can be handy when doing some precision work. I have found that I am good enough with simple die adjustment that I no longer purchase the micro dies.

The carbide dies are just incredible but you also have to wait a long time to get them right now.

That' s my two cents.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,545 Posts
There is a reloading sub forum in the Ammunition forum.
If you are going to be loading for s semi automatic rifle I would recommend Small Base dies so they will chamber easier.

eQ

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
A typical question is whether SMALL BASE resize die is needed. For many people the SB dies are not needed, and standard resize die works fine. But sometimes the standard die isn't quite small enough and a SB die is needed.
If you have a standard die of the correct caliber, try it and see whether it works for you. But be aware that a standard die that you borrow for testing might not be the same as a different standard die that you buy.

When I needed to buy dies for a new caliber, I chose SB die set to avoid finding out that the standard die wasn't enough.

·
Registered
316 Posts
For 308, I just use standard RCBS full length sizing dies and seating die.

I've gotten into shooting F-Class FTR matches though using my 223. For 223, I use a Forster full length resizing die and a Forster microseater die.

·
Super Moderator
11,544 Posts
I use a Redding full length, small base, S-type sizing die with interchangeable bushings. I have a larger bushing for military brass (thicker) and a smaller bushing for commercial brass (thinner). I have a Redding competition seater die with the micrometer.

I also have special seater die inserts for Berger Hybrids and Nosler RDF bullets as they have a different bullet tip contour which provides more consistent seating depth and runout. For SMK's and Nosler CC's, I use the standard seater insert.

Tony.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It's wonderful to have so many choices.
I do not need small base dies: SB dies shaved some brass from the base of my cases. Standard RCBS work fine.
More importantly for the new reloader, you should learn how to determine how much to resize your cases, to minimize shoulder bump.
I suggest that you conduct research on causes and signs of case head separation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts