M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've reloaded probably 4K .380 rounds with zero issues, including about 10% nickel plated brass with no problems. Yesterday I was reloading a batch and one case took about double the usual effort to size and made a kind of grunching noise. I usually give handgun brass a few spritzes of One Shot (the only thing it's good for, IMO) and it does reduce sizing effort considerably.

Anyway, after sizing I had a look a the brass and it had tons of tiny scratches everywhere the sizing ring touched. I can't figure out why it all of a sudden started scratching cases. Is it possible that ONE nickel case could do that much damage? I'd sized hundreds of nickel cases before this one. I don't get it.

Speer gold dot case. far left is the un-scratched round I completed just before the nickel one in question, then the nickel, then the two brass ones following.

I removed the decapping pin and had a look and it appears the sizing ring was either scratched or a bunch of brass/nickel debris had embedded itself into it. I cleaned it with some solvent then snapped the pic without gloves.
I then wrapped a bit of cloth around the top of the decapping pin, chucked it in my drill, and used some chrome/metal polish to attempt to buff out the scratches. It seems to have helped considerably.

Anyway, I found this very weird. Ideas/comments?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
ok i am guessing this die is not a carbide die ?
nickel is rather hard you want to use a good lube.
it looks like the nickel plating came off in the die.
a carbide die is harder than one that is not.
i was told long ago to use carbide die and more lube
with nickel cases. i have not reloaded very many so
i could be wrong. anyway what brand die ?
you might get a replacement if you send it in.
if it is a carbide die i think nickel can scratch it also.
hope this helps a little.
Lruss

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
As a previous person asked. Was there something on the outside of the case wall? Sand,dirt etc.

I reload 40 smith and wesson Nickle cases with lee carbide re sizing die. I have never had any problems. I have never lubed a pistol case in my life with the Lee carbide die.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 45 ACP dies and was able to polish out the offending material with a dremel brush. I now lube all cases regardless of whether they are brass or nickle. All cases are cleaned in a tumbler prior to sizing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
as a previous person asked. Was there something on the outside of the case wall? Sand,dirt etc.

I reload 40 smith and wesson nickle cases with lee carbide re sizing die. I have never had any problems. i have never lubed a pistol case in my life with the lee carbide die.
^ THIS

I had a similar problem with my 45 ACP dies and was able to polish out the offending material with a dremel brush. I now lube all cases regardless of whether they are brass or nickle. All cases are cleaned in a tumbler prior to sizing.
Carbide sizing dies and tumbled cases should NEVER need case lube in my experiences.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a carbide die. Cases are always clean and lightly lubed. They don't NEED lube but it reduces effort.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
As a previous person asked. Was there something on the outside of the case wall? Sand,dirt etc.

I reload 40 smith and wesson Nickle cases with lee carbide re sizing die. I have never had any problems. I have never lubed a pistol case in my life with the Lee carbide die.
Same here. Mostly Lee, one set of RCBS, carbide pistol dies and never any issues with nickel cases.

You don't have to order a full set of replacement dies. You can order just the carbide sizer die.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I think there is some material inbeded in the Die. It may be able to be cleaned out. Just be sure not to actually open up the die to the point where it is not sizing correctly. Actually a new size die might be in order if this is not carbide. The are worth the extra money.

I have used Dillion Carbide insert Dies for 25 years and tens of thousands of rounds and have never lubed a case or had a problem.
Cal's from 9MM through 44 Mag and just started with a clean case.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I think you should be able to polish that die so it will work just fine again. Also is it possible to adjust your set up so the die will move further down the case. Are you using a lee Factory Crimp Die in the last station?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've reloaded probably 4K .380 rounds with zero issues, including about 10% nickel plated brass with no problems. Yesterday I was reloading a batch and one case took about double the usual effort to size and made a kind of grunching noise. I usually give handgun brass a few spritzes of One Shot (the only thing it's good for, IMO) and it does reduce sizing effort considerably.

Anyway, after sizing I had a look a the brass and it had tons of tiny scratches everywhere the sizing ring touched. I can't figure out why it all of a sudden started scratching cases. Is it possible that ONE nickel case could do that much damage? I'd sized hundreds of nickel cases before this one. I don't get it.

Speer gold dot case. far left is the un-scratched round I completed just before the nickel one in question, then the nickel, then the two brass ones following.

I removed the decapping pin and had a look and it appears the sizing ring was either scratched or a bunch of brass/nickel debris had embedded itself into it. I cleaned it with some solvent then snapped the pic without gloves.
I then wrapped a bit of cloth around the top of the decapping pin, chucked it in my drill, and used some chrome/metal polish to attempt to buff out the scratches. It seems to have helped considerably.

Anyway, I found this very weird. Ideas/comments?

That’ll buff right out.
GI5

I had a similar issue on a 500S&W die and it turned out to be user error; I’d set the resizing die about a half turn too far and after a few rounds the die cracked, causing similar, but worse scarring to the cases. Your die does not look cracked from the pictures. At least 2 have commented you can probably buff out the die, and I agree.

I had a similar issue using the Dillon power trimmer for my 308 cases. There is a vacuum attachment for the Dillon to catch the metal shavings, and I decided to try a batch without using the vacuum. It took a few hundred rounds, but eventually I started seeing rounds with scuffing like you are seeing along the whole length of the case. The trimmer die is was catching the metal shavings from the trimmer and since the cases still have to be lubed when using the trimmer die, all the shavings were grinding against the die wall. I used a dremel & polish for a few minutes to buff the scratches out of the die and recovered it.

I would try cleaning your resizing die with a good solvent bath, hit with some brass brushes to get the major debris off so you can get a better look at what you have. Once done, make sure you don’t have a crack or cracks. If you don’t, I’d try using a dremel polishing wheel on it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Use a bore brush and a good copper remover.
Scrub your die.
The surface of the die has become contaminated just like the bore of a rifle.

Polish the surface of the die with a small buffing wheel and a hand held dremel.

Will come right out and work just fine.

Jim

·
Registered
808 Posts
That ring is Carbide.
One shot is a POOR lube. Use Dillon spray lube and that will never happen again and the cases will be easier to size.
Wrap a 38 brush with some scotchbrite and using a drill motor. Run the brush back and forth a few time to clean the ring. Then flush with carb cleaner and your GTG. You will NOT hurt the ring-Carbide can only be cut with a diamond.
Nickle cases did not do a darn thing to the die. It was caused by a piss poor lube.
LG

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I fail to see how lube would contribute to this but I will clean/polish again as recommended. I agree that One Shot is nearly useless for sizing rifle but it does smooth out handgun reloading when used with carbide dies.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
One Shot sucks. I got stuck cases with it when reloading 223. Again I have re-sized Nickle cases in 40 never had any problems.
I use RCBS case lube only.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks. I fail to see how lube would contribute to this but I will clean/polish again as recommended. I agree that One Shot is nearly useless for sizing rifle but it does smooth out handgun reloading when used with carbide dies.
O'shot ain't lub'n, and your transfer'n metal from the brass case to the hardest metal on Earth, Carbide
Get the Dillon lube!
LG

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Reactions: joesig

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

You can see the brass "stuck" on the top side of the carbide insert. I bet it is only being scratched when you withdraw the case.

You shouldn't need lube but if ease of sizing is a concern, it's tough to beat Dillon for ease of use and performance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts