M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dick Winters, the former World War II commander whose war story was told in the book and miniseries “Band of Brothers,” has died.
Dick Winters led a quiet life on his Fredericksburg farm and in his Hershey home until the book and miniseries “Band of Brothers” threw him into the international spotlight.

Since then, the former World War II commander of Easy Company had received hundreds of requests for interviews and appearances all over the world.

He stood at the podium with President George W. Bush in Hershey during the presidential campaign in 2007. He accepted the “Four Freedoms” award from Tom Brokaw on behalf of the Army. He was on familiar terms with Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, producers of the HBO mini-series, the most expensive television series ever produced.

Winters was always gracious about his new-found celebrity, but never really comfortable with it. He never claimed to be a hero and said that he had nothing to do with the national effort to get him the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military honor.

When people asked him if he was a hero, he liked to answer the way his World War II buddy, Mike Ranney, did.

“No,” Ranney said. “But I served in a company of heroes.” That became the tag line for the miniseries.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/01/dick_winters_of_band_of_brothe.html

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am very sad to hear this. One of the last of the greatest generation . .

Thank you, Sir, for your sacrifice . .

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Sad news indeed, we keep losing the "Greatest Generation" at a faster and faster pace. I hope they will never be forgotten. I wish our youngest generation was being taught what these people did for the world.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sad news indeed, we keep losing the "Greatest Generation" at a faster and faster pace. I hope they will never be forgotten. I wish our youngest generation was being taught what these people did for the world.
Ain't that the truth. USA2USA2

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
We have lost another true hero of the "Greatest Generation", Rest in Peace Sir ....

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Multiple prayers are outbound. May he rest in peace in company of the heroes that surrounded him when he was alive. May they surround him in the after life.

·
"Death From Above"
11,442 Posts
Sad to hear of his passing. I'm sure St. Michael was there when he arrived at his next duty assignment. He and all the men and women who served are heroes in my book. My heart goes out to his family and friends

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Rest In Peace

A true American hero.

Brave without bravado, courage without cockiness.

You've earned your place in heaven, Major.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Hand Salute!!!

Sir, rest with the heroes of your generation, the greatest generation.

·
Registered
966 Posts
What to say, as another true American hero passes. I can only hope that there are still men like that in our country.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
RIP. He was a good man. We were lucky to have men like this when the need was there. Truth is we still do. Maybe luck is not the right word. God bless you Sir.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
He will not be forgotten nor the men of WW2 as long as we can watch Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Time to break out the bottle of Vat 69 I have at home and watch BoB's again.

Gone but never forgotten.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was truly saddened to read about this just a few minutes ago. May he, and all the other heroes who have gone before him, rest in God's loving peace and know of our gratitude for their sacrifice.

My late father and I couldn't wait to see each new episode of Band of Brothers when it originally aired. He was a paratrooper as well, and really enjoyed all the memories it brought back. He left me his wings when he passed, after pointing out to me they were sterling silver back then. Therefore I would like to post in their honor:

JMPWNG2

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I read an article in the newspaper concerning his passing and it stated that he did not want the news of his death released until after the funeral, lest it cause too much commotion for his family and friends. Humble to the end. May God rest his soul.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts