M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
List
I was wondering if anyone has seen serial number 343 Devine, Tx M1a for sale anywhere or if anyone has it. I want a Devine for my collection since i have 12 M1a's all makers ,except chinese, I need a Devine, I have Lrb tfl 343, so it would go great. If not i would like one under 100.
My next question is r all Devines parts numbered to match the receiver or just the match barrel ones.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
The parts on a Devine are not matched to a specific receiver. And it depends on who you ask will get you multiple answers on what is a Devine.

Finding a Devine with a serial number less than 100 will be difficult but possible. Different was selling his Devine #000049 and that, IMHO, would have been and excellent rifle. I would have bought it if I had the available funds.

Good luck!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
devine 343

ok, i was hoping someone on the forum had Devine 343.
So the parts will not be marked to the receiver, unless it's national match.
sante

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hi Sante,

I have #000050 and it is a NM rifle, but I do not remember the parts having any markings that identify it as being fitted to the receiver.

I also have #000377 which is close but no cigars so I am no help there.

If you have a chance, take a look at Different's book. He has a wealth of information on Devine's. I believe that he calls Devines without the original marked barrel an "Early M1A".

Again, good luck on your search and hunt... it took me a while to find mine but I feel blessed and fortunate to have what I got. GI6

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
devine 343

Tom
Thanks, I've read just about everything i could find on Devine's , damn when i got done, i think i was more confused. I'll keep looking. I have several m1a's now. This would just be a great collection, piece. I collected Ar-15's for years(still have several) but then everyone started making receivers so I quit, I figure M1a's would be a piece of cake.
Have a Merry Christmas Tom to u and yours.
Sante

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi Sante,

I have #000050 and it is a NM rifle, but I do not remember the parts having any markings that identify it as being fitted to the receiver.

I also have #000377 which is close but no cigars so I am no help there.

If you have a chance, take a look at Different's book. He has a wealth of information on Devine's. I believe that he calls Devines without the original marked barrel an "Early M1A".

Again, good luck on your search and hunt... it took me a while to find mine but I feel blessed and fortunate to have what I got. GI6

Aloha,

Tom O.
I have a NM configured Devine, and the bolt, trigger housing and I think the stock channel are electropenciled(stock is stamped, I think)to match the SN. Next time I get it out, I'll check the channel, which is stamped with the letters JJH.

Charlie

·
Registered
569 Posts
Has any new intel come out as to whether or not Elmer Ballance did the Match work? After reading Arts' thread, I'm inclined to believe some gunsmith/outfit/dealer other than Elmer did it.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Charlie,

If JJH made your rifle, it has some significance. You might want to check with Different about that. There are a couple of threads regarding rifles made with JJH stamped in the barrel channel.

Too bad these rifles couldn't talk.

Aloha and Happy Holidays,

Tom O.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
An unknown M14 gunsmith with initials J J H built at least five M1A rifles on Texas era receivers: serial numbers 000049, 001193, 001487, 001717 and 001764. These rifles have at least one feature in common, the stock barrel channel is stamped J J H. M1A serial number 000049 also has 0049 electropenicled on the underside of the bolt and on the trigger housing. The trigger on 000049 is the best I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Has any new intel come out as to whether or not Elmer Ballance did the Match work? After reading Arts' thread, I'm inclined to believe some gunsmith/outfit/dealer other than Elmer did it.
As far as my research has determined, Elmer Ballance did not do any match conditioning of the M1A rifles. He sold match grade M1A rifles but they were accurized by gunsmiths with military training.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
I'll add another mine is 1762,same exact features as all the others listed.Damm sure wish we knew who this guy was?

·
Registered
57 Posts
List
I was wondering if anyone has seen serial number 343 Devine, Tx M1a for sale anywhere or if anyone has it. I want a Devine for my collection since i have 12 M1a's all makers ,except chinese, I need a Devine, I have Lrb tfl 343, so it would go great. If not i would like one under 100.
My next question is r all Devines parts numbered to match the receiver or just the match barrel ones.
Thanks
Devine rifle has serial numbers on the receiver heel, all other parts are USGI when they were made (some have been modified). The were not made sequentially. I.E. I know #100 was made in Devine, but it has a Racine stamp on the barrel.

You'll find the address stamps either by the receiver ring or down by the gas cylinder (only one address stamp).

Two address': either Devine Tx. or Racine I think it was. A friend of mine still talks with Elmer.

Stay away from the Chinese... you might find a good one, I have rarely seen one of those. There are quite a few Norinco's in Italy. Both M1As and M4 carbine's, both made by Noinco.

Tough one to find are the A.R. Sales rifles. Casting and tooling was as good as the Devine's, but the couple I've seen were blued. They were also made with USGI parts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ok, i was hoping someone on the forum had Devine 343.
So the parts will not be marked to the receiver, unless it's national match.
sante
No, the receiver's were commercial when they were made. Everything else was USGI. *IF* you were lucky enough to get one that was built NM, it still had the USGI NM barrels since that's all there was in those days.

All USGI parts have NSN numbers and that's it. The distinctive stampings are on the Receiver and the barrels (done in two different places, depending on where they happened to get stamped).

The Devine's were NOT made sequentially... so you'll find a Devine receiver with a Racine stamp on the barrel, it's just the way Elmer built them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts