M14 Forum banner

Devine Road Trip (pix heavy)

12K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  HKSteve 
#1 ·
I went to see Elmer Ballance Thursday & Friday. I had him sign my rifle, original marked to the rifle magazines, some books and a I ❤ Devine t-shirt. We had a good visit, telling stories and jokes. At 90 years old, he is still enjoying his shop.
I took a bunch of pictures. Here are some of his trophies and a picture from 1964 Camp Perry. I was able to pick him out in the picture.

Can you tell which way the wind was blowing?

See less See more
#3 ·
I was there about 5 years ago , he really hasn't changed much , and the shop has not changed any either. still has all those stocks on wall . did you get to see Serial # 00001 ? last time he tried to sell it for 50,000.00 to me . no have that much cash to plunk down on a rifle .
and he did make me bring some fried chicken and a six pack of beer when I called and asked if he needed anything before I came over LOL. so I got to sit there and eat a piece of chicken and drink a beer with him. got to hear stories and a lot of anti govn chit , he no like the feds .
interesting fella with a lot of history and fame & knowledge in our world of M1A's. he says what he says and does not hold back.
RB

#21 ·
We were joking about Federal Reserve notes on the phone before I went down there. He said gold or silver, so I took him a small hand full of silver coins to sign all my stuff. He was tickled.
No he does not sell on line.
A lot of the op rods are welded, and I did see some drill bolts. I found one nice HR bolt that was used, but very little. So I bought it and a pretty nice welded TRW op rod. It is very hard to tell it was a weld, just one tiny spot on the bottom. You have to look hard to see it. On the rifle you will not be able to see it.
The beard is my retirement beard. I had to be able to get a seal on an SCBA (like the firemen wear) for the past 18 1/2 years. So I started growing it 4 months before I retired last May.
The Dodge is a 2001 4x4 diesel that my wife bought for us brand new. After the Devine trip it rolled over to 191 thousand. Been a good one.

Dog

#24 ·
It was outstanding. I did a 2fer. There was also a vintage motorcycle swap meet, show and racing just up the road in Fredericksburg. I had a great trip. My two favorite hobbies in one weekend. But meeting Elmer was the highlight even more than watching this guy start a 1913 Harley.

#29 ·
Hello,
Kent, Dogfoot.
You will look just fine on that well done bike with your beard....
I have the same vintage silver Dodge diesel and peppered beard as yours. As long as I can see the bottom of my ears, all is fine.... Oh, and high and tight on the top.
Yet, I'm not retired, just self employed...

#31 ·
I saw Elmer in October. Brought him a 12 pack, and pictures of one of my Devine rifle for him to letter. I even paid in advance with silver. Still waiting for his letter! He's fun to talk to and he does have the stories! Great memory for his age. If you live nearby, you owe it to yourself to swing by and see him. He won't be around forever. He is living history!