M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all its been awhile....

I JUST tonight picked up my second M1A my first is a Springfield Armory Inc. that was accurized by John Tank... the new kid in town is a Springfield Armory #003037.. :D

There is alot of #'s thrown around out there. I have read Devine MADE in TX up to 0027XXish and devine made up to 0047XXish.
is my new addition a Devine ?? or not? :?

It is in Incredible shape
Reciever reads:
U.S. RIFLE
7.62-mm M1A
SPRINGFIELD
ARMORY

There is a stamping under the Oprod on the barrel (Chrome lined) Hard to read though
("Star"....maybe) "M" and then some kind of Cartouche in a circle
I do not have the correct tool to pull the clip to take a peek under the handgaurd.

Bolt - 7790185 HRT
CA05
AM

Trigger Group- 7267030- HR-N

Hammer-C46008-5 SA

Stock has the selector cut-out
AND has an S with a partial box under the trapdoor, DoD cartouche and a P with circle on grip.

For the life of me I cannot find a marking on the op-rod besides a very faint mark it looks like the top of a "P"

Ohh BTW... I couldnt resist buying it 1,200.00...

Any input would help.
Doc

·
Registered
49 Posts
The handguard clip tool is for taking the clip completely off the handguard after the unit is off the rifle. It won't work while the guard is on the rifle.
The handguard should just pop off. It helps to have the op rod off so it doesn't interfere with the handguard.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey guys any idea whats up with the Oprod.. I cant find any info on unmarked oprods.. It is not casted or welded two piece BUT at the bottom of the charging handle there is a pin prick punch mark like you would see on an USGI bolt. also anyone fimiliar with the markings on the barrel? I kmow the "M" is for magnaflux...

TIA
Doc

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

M14 lover ...man good eyes I never noticed it before I had to go check the rifle I measured it with a vernier and it overhanges .029 .. How the heck did you notice that??? LOL the shadow in the pic makes it look larger than it is.
I compared it to my NM M1A i am hoping it is just the sight base.

Doc

·
Banned
502 Posts
Yeah,

Two of mine are slightly that way too. That's one thing I always look at, that's why I noticed it.

Unfortunately, it's probably the receiver. I have seen alot of them by all the makers so far except LRB that have that anomaly. I think that they have cut the rear sight platform too close to the slot in the receiver for the spring cover, where it steps down onto the heel, not leaving enough there for complete support of the rear sight base in the back. The back of the sight base should either be flush with the windage indices (the area that steps down to the heel), or slightly forward of it. IMO.

I used to think that it was from a mislocated slot for the spring cover but, after looking closely at several commercial receivers and, at photos of USGI M14 receivers, I changed my mind and now think it's mostly that too much metal was removed too close to the spring cover slot. Actually, it could be some of both but, I lean towards the latter.

In any case, ya got a nice receiver! Enjoy!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Interesting.... thanks for the info its not bad you can barely notice it I mean .029 is nothing.

Even though Elmer Ballance is the father of M1A's (the Master) I guess he made mistakes too. :)

Doc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.