M14 Forum banner

Devine on it way

1383 Views 16 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  1Mark1
I purchased a Devine. It will be here Wednesday. So I had a nice Springfield M1A NM. I ended up selling it . Do not ask way. I keep asking myself all of the time. So we move on.

I found a Devine M1A and figured if I am going to get another, why not get a Devine. It came out of the estate of the late Steve Preston, who was a military collector. So the funds went to a good place.

I will post pictures and details when it arrives. But how do I contact Elmer Ballance to find out if he still has any records of the rifle.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
It has arrived. A quick going over, the barrel is not marked. I have not removed the hand guard as I donot believe the barrrels were marked there. The op rod HRA, trigger guard SA. NM stock, bedded and serialized to the receiver. NM sights. I will work on pictures in the future.
Some early Devine’s in the first 200 serial numbers have the RT 1 BX 210 DEVINE TX under the hand guard area. My standard model number 797 was made in 1973 per Elmer and is marked RT 1 BOX 210 DEVINE TEX in two lines on the barrel in the normal location. I shoot Federal GMMK in all of my Devine’s and they are very accurate. Enjoy your rifle.

· Registered
179 Posts
Balance , Elmer has no records . he never showed them to me when I took my Devine's . he just looks at them and lets you know he built it.:eek:;)
what serial # did you get ?
Speaking of serial numbers a friend found Devine #177 at the Tulsa gun show. He bought it and when cleaning it he found RT I BOX 210 DEVINE TX stamped in 2 lines on the bottom of the barrel under the hand guard area. Surprise Surprise ! Sounded like it the serial was close to one of yours.

· Registered
179 Posts
Yours was built in 1974
Congratulations on your purchase. I saw it on GB and it is a nice correct Devine with Pantagraph engraved one line address. I was tempted. I would have bid on it but I have Devine 001794 with the same barrel address marking. I try not to buy duplicates of Devine barrel address examples I already have. In the words of Elmer Ballance “you got one of the good ones”

1 - 17 of 17 Posts