M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like a detachable carry handle for my newly acquired BCM upper. BCM sells them for about $110. RRA sells them for about $145. Midway has various ones ranging from $30 to $100. I just missed out on one in a private sale that was GI surplus for $35.

I just want something mil-spec and reliable. Is there a difference between them or am I just paying for a name?

Thoughts?

Tony.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I have the factory Colt on my M4 carbine and a Rock River National Match carry handle on my A4 Service Rifle. I have no experience with others, so the Colt is my only standard one.

I can only say that your sights are on the handle, and sights can't be sloppy!

Once I replaced the POS factory Colt trigger, sights were actually important.

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
79 Posts
Only one I ever had was a LMT carry handle with my first AR. It was $110 if I remember correctly, and it was a solid part, just very nice in general. Did some tweaking (see link below) and it was a downright fine part. Never dealt with a lower-$ one though.

Whenever you get your situation squared away, I recommend this easy-to-do, easy-to-undo, procedure for the rear sight:
http://www.grburnett.us/guns/ImprovedBattlesightZero.pdf

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I have a factory Colt detachable carry handle on my 6920 and it is a nice part. I bought a UTG (Chinese) detachable carry handle to go on my Spikes ST 15. It was like $30 from Sportsman Guide, it is a well made part that is finished well and looks like it came installed on the rifle from the factory. I have used the open sights a lot and they work for me. This rifle is not a match gun, just a fun gun. If you can find a GI take off, that would be my first choice, otherwise do not spend any more money than you have to.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
I'd like a detachable carry handle for my newly acquired BCM upper. BCM sells them for about $110. RRA sells them for about $145. Midway has various ones ranging from $30 to $100. I just missed out on one in a private sale that was GI surplus for $35.

I just want something mil-spec and reliable. Is there a difference between them or am I just paying for a name?

Thoughts?

Tony.
This in my rudimentary understanding, all forging come from a few places. Alcoa, Cardinal Forge, Keystone, Cero, I'm sure there are a few others. Long story short the forging are finish machined and hardcoat anodized by the other players. Bush Master, Colt, Rock River, Armalite.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
I stick with quality, even though I prefer mine with a flat top and an Aimpoint. Also could go with an LMT rear sight. It's like a carry handle without the handle. You get a legit A2 rear sight.

Reactions: Konigsberg13

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The sights would be my only worry. Browse Midway or other large suppliers that show customer reviews. Was looking for just a rear sight for the wife's AR build (Flat top, still want the iron sights, but no carry handle, NOT "back up sights") and ran into the same conundrum you are Tony. Huge price range, various styles. I did notice a few had very poor reviews, that focused on problems with the sights holding settings, having a full range of movement or not adjusting in a repeatable fashion.

Settled on a Daniel Defense A1.5 I think....just have to buy it now. haha

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
if it says 'mil-spec' on them then they're all made to the same criteria. buy the cheapest one.

Reactions: conditionone

·
Registered
661 Posts
The gun shows have used usgi ones around 40 bucks and you can pick the best looking one! If you need one the rear sight will be of better quality and the mounting hardware will be better also, so my choice is used usgi or name brand not urgent or any of the cheap knock offs! Buy once cry once just saying friend!

·
Registered
839 Posts
you can get a Daniel Defense fixed rear sight called the DD1.5 often for as little as 50 bucks, its what I run and I love it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts