M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Very illegal to weld it back together. Demilling is just that, it makes it legal for you to own. Put it back together and it becomes an unregistered machine gun (and an all expenses paid vacation upstate.)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Very illegal to weld it back together. Demilling is just that, it makes it legal for you to own. Put it back together and it becomes an unregistered machine gun (and an all expenses paid vacation upstate.)
Yeah, you are asking advice on doing something very illegal, online. I don't think anyone is going to provide any positive online support for obvious reasons...Forget it. Its a paper weight, even if it that is a shame, which it is.....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It appears a bit odd...

All the heels I have at home have very prominent torch cuts that left odd angles and slag-edged surfaces. If memory serves me, the cuts had to be at an angle and usually 1, sometimes 2 cuts.

The picture looks like the demil was done with a band saw. Odd at best. $750...a bit high for steel scrap. besides, how would one register it al all? It certainly can't be grandfathered when it becomes a "new" machine gun.

Follow drx's advice, it's poisoned fruit.

Bruce

·
Registered
966 Posts
The ones we de-milled never looked that good, we did it with a cutting torch. Very sad job :(

Anyway, it makes a good paper weight or a display item. people pay a lot more than that for stuff to display at the home or office. I have one painting that is worth 10 times that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Run away!!

This receiver is NOT demilled according to ATF requirements (torch cut into three pieces) and is contraband.

No if ands or buts.
Harry

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Run away!!

This receiver is NOT demilled according to ATF requirements (torch cut into three pieces) and is contraband.

No if ands or buts.
Harry
That is correct with one exception. The number of pieces that would be left over when properly demilled is 8. An X torch cut through both sides and one torch cut through the barrel ring and between the sight ears.

Theoretically all rewelded receivers are made from receivers that were not demilled properly.

WARNING: any discussion on the methods and specs or proper directions in welding them back together and not only will this disappear, but those that choose to do so will be suspended indefinitely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, you are asking advice on doing something very illegal, online. I don't think anyone is going to provide any positive online support for obvious reasons...Forget it. Its a paper weight, even if it that is a shame, which it is.....
If you read my post you will see I am not seeking advice on anything. I came across this closed auction on Gunbroker while searching for TRW parts and was curious as to the legalities of it.

My apologies if anything else was construed.

Mods, you can delete this thread if you deem it necessary.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no harm, no foul panzerGI2
Thanks, Hawk. GI6

I leapt into the M1A platform full throttle after I bought one of CMPs parts kits last month. It's an all-TRW kit. I bought a TRW barrel and bolt off of Gunbroker now I'm looking for a receiver.

Great forum you have here! MCORPS1

·
Registered
844 Posts
get a forged "semi" reciever and you can build a legal clone! good luck on build post pics of progress.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Some of the early receivers were not properly demilled, aka single band cut. I have seen a couple of these offered on gun broker. They are useful for measurements and display.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you read my post you will see I am not seeking advice on anything. I came across this closed auction on Gunbroker while searching for TRW parts and was curious as to the legalities of it.

My apologies if anything else was construed.

Mods, you can delete this thread if you deem it necessary.
Ok fair enough, but the legalities of it are, that its illegal.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
They were not all cut 3 ways or 8 ways. The one pictured would have been highly-prized only a few years ago, but the U.S. govt has since firmly settled on the position others have described.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Some of the early receivers were not properly demilled, aka single band cut. I have seen a couple of these offered on gun broker. They are useful for measurements and display.
Given the ATFs colorful past of interpreting gun laws I would be nervous about owning a receiver that was not properly demilled. Anybody have any idea how the ATF might look upon owning one of those?

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Parts

I don't think those chaps at BATF are frequenting the Gunbroker sight much, ....or it is a clandestine operation, because they would have arrested half of them folks already.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have never seen one cut so clean GI8

Is it possible that someone went through the trouble of creating a fake just to cut it and profit?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Given the ATFs colorful past of interpreting gun laws I would be nervous about owning a receiver that was not properly demilled. Anybody have any idea how the ATF might look upon owning one of those?
It's forfeit, contraband, no wiggle room as far as the federal authorities are concerned. U.S. v. One TRW, 441 F.3d 416 (6th Cir. 2006).

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
As long as you do not try to reassyemble the receiver, why would the ATF care.

Originally Posted by m14ebr

I have never seen one cut so clean.
Is it possible that someone went through the trouble of creating a fake just to cut it and profit?
I have seen a couple like that listed on GB.
By the time you created it, you would have so much time involved there would be no profit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The entire basis for this thread, and especially the picture posted by the OP, makes me very very sad. Thanks Bubba. Thanks a bunch. You did a real disservice to our nation's military by ordering the destruction of thousands of great rifles (that were already paid for).
GI9

1 - 20 of 36 Posts