M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!
I’ve been pretty busy with work so I haven’t been here lately but I thought to post up a short review of the Delta P, M1A Muzzle Adapter and JP enterprises, Tactical Compensator combination from a recent group buy arranged by 82nd Airborne. I’ve done a search but I didn’t see an actual review about this 2 punch knock out combination, and if there is one out there well then the more the merrier I guess!

My first real rifle/first M1A build

First observations:
This is a very refined design and installation as if it were a single unit. If you were to buy these two parts separately you’d need to use a crush washer a hell of a lot patients and time to properly index the compensator to the muzzle adapter. I'm not sure about the weight but if I were to guess it weighs about 3X of a GI Bird Cage Flash Suppressor (It's been a while for me now). The work done is amazing and perfectly color matched to each other. Anytime you combine parts from different manufacturers you might end up with mismatched color tones, which may be subtle and noticeable.

Installation:
The combination unit was installed on a Heavy Profile, Stainless Steel Krieger Barrel, and this is where it got a bit difficult. I believe Krieger produces their barrels to be a bit on the larger side with their Outer Diameter. It’s a very tight fit, so tight that I couldn’t even get it on by hand. I was wondering if it was the guide posts (that go on the barrel's splines) inside the Delta P muzzle adapter so I carefully used a grinding stone and removed some material from the top of the posts. Unfortunately this didn’t help with the fit. So I greased up the barrel and inside of the adapter with Lubriplate and carefully went to work with a dead blow hammer while the barrel was secured with my trusty barrel vise. I’m really glad that I didn’t forget to place the castle nut into position because if I did I’d be in a world of pain. So I got busy tapping and turning the castle nut over and over until I felt a solid thud. If I have to take this thing off later, it’s going to be a major chore!

Performance:
I haven’t had the opportunity to shoot my rifle with a standard bird cage flash suppressor, but I’ve shot my friend’s and I can tell you that the difference is amazing! My friend has the standard M1A with no cheek rest and I have my M1A LRB rifle that I built and I can tell you that when ever I shot his rifle it felt like my cousin was smacking me in the face with a whiffle bat on every shot so I had to reset my position and sight picture every time. When I shot my rifle it felt like shooting a .223! I was able to keep my sight picture and follow up shots were a breeze. I like to keep both eyes open when I shoot and I can tell you that the sight picture remains steady because the compensator does a great job with mitigating the recoil and also stabilizes the rifle. I haven’t shot any other rifles with a “Compensator” but I think this is a very good quality. With this set up I can engage a 16”x16” iron target @ 250 yards with 5 rounds in 5 seconds and get a solid hit every time. Yes it’s a big target and I have a 9X scope but I never shot a rifle before I built this one so cut me some slack ha ha ha.
Now when it comes to noise I really don’t know what to say. Some people say that it’s noticeably louder and some say it’s quieter. I think it has a lot to do with where you are when the rifle is being fired. The shooter gets the good deal in this case but if anyone is sitting to the side it’s louder and you can actually feel the concussion (Yes I felt it myself). Some of my friends has dubbed it as the “Buddy EF’er”. Some of my friends also say it was louder when they fired my rifle but I beg to differ.

After 800 Rounds & Afterthoughts:
So here’s some pictures of the unit, I can’t imagine shooting without one now. If anyone out there is thinking about doing this, I say don’t hesitate it’s definitely worth it. Just be aware that if you have a Krieger barrel, it’s going to be a tight squeeze for you or whom ever is going to install it. It still looks great but I’m wondering about the roughness in some of the pictures, and if it’s normal. I think I should have picked up two instead of just one, so next time if there will ever be another group buy I’ll have to get another one with a cleaning rod guide.

I forgot to mention with this all being said that no you can't install a bayonet, and I haven't fired this rifle at night so I don't know how big the flash would be.

Thanks to Warren, Lester, JP Enterprises, and Delta P
Thanks for checking this out and I hope this helps anyone out there. USNA

UPDATE:
Here's a video of my friend's daughter shooting my rifle at Koko Head shooting range Honolulu. She's 16 years old, 5' 0" and weighs about 105 lbs soaking wet after a down pour! I think the proof is in the pudding here. If you want to skip to the shooting go right to the middle of the video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oW3B-cizAo[/ame]

Ah yes, this is also the first time she's shot a .308 and the second time she's ever gone shooting. She said that the M1A kicked to much for her liking. I would have never guessed watching her while she was firing!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I hear there may be another GB in the works. I'll be jumping in based upon this review and a couple others. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I had to drop out of the first one because things were dismal here. What a bummer that was. I still want one. Nice review...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
"Da Buddee F'ers"

I am proof and can concur to every word that yellowthunder has mentioned about owning a Delta P/JP Enterprise Compensator.

Yellowthunder's bench was to the left and to my surprise, I really felt the thrust or the concussion of his M14/M1A rifle. Shot after shot you can feel a blunt gush of air. I said to my self " Luckily I know that person to my left". DI4

I was offered to shoot his rifle and like he mentioned on his post, the recoil did feel shooting a .223 caliber rifle. O yeah......I asked yellowthunder to sit at my bench so he can feel his own rifles muzzle blast in which he did and now the new name for these Delta P/JP Enterprise Compensators for the M14/M1A rifles are now called or deemed as the “Buddy EF’ers”

Great day at the range on 8/21/11for both of us where I also did a range report for Miss Tiffany in which yellowthunder had a chance to shoot both Lauren and Tiffany.

Photos of yellowthunder taken by M1A96819

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thanks guys. I haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet but I know that time is getting close. I'm hoping to get that done by this weekend or the next.

·
"Death From Above"
11,266 Posts
Nice review Dom! You guys got it right. I have already contacted Delta P design and am hoping to get hold of JP Rifles today. There will be a new group buy pending approval.
It nice that you noticed the finish matches. There is a reason behind my madness. I have the SS tac comps sent to Delta P so both units are get the black oxide finish at the same place.
During the last group buy, I took the liberty of ordering another one for myself using the smaller 1 inch diameter comp. I doubt it will be as effective as the larger one. Depending non supply and demand, these may be offered during the next buy. Keep an eye out in group buy section. It's kind of hard to post, I'm still without power due to Irene. Internet is scetchy at best.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
During the last group buy, I took the liberty of ordering another one for myself using the smaller 1 inch diameter comp. I doubt it will be as effective as the larger one. Depending non supply and demand, these may be offered during the next buy. Keep an eye out in group buy section. It's kind of hard to post, I'm still without power due to Irene. Internet is scetchy at best.
Ideas floating around my brain. I was thinking of buying a Sage m14alcs/prmi for my rifle, making it 22lbs or more. I wouldn't need much of a brake, if any at that point. I don't need much at all now at 16.5lbs. Count me in for one of them Warren.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Cool, I think you will be pretty happy with the lack of muzzle climb.
Right now when I take a shot on a 6" target 300yds out my cross-hairs move off center about a 1/2 mil and I need to reacquire to bring it back on target. If I can get that little to settle down, that would be great.

·
Premium Member
15,925 Posts
Great review. Great product. Thanks Yellowthunder for the thread. And Warren thanks for the group buy. I absolutely love mine. Picked up two and have one on an LRB M25 with Kreiger heavy. JAE stock and GGG bipod. Leupold LTR 3.5 to 10 lighted. What a combination. I agree about recoil being reduced to a mouse gun. 200 yd targets and the crosshairs don't move. Follow ups are instant, even double taps are right there.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd also like to be in on the next group buy. I have JP comps on all of my AR's and have been extremely pleased with their performance. I was looking into buying both of these and putting them together on my M1A, but this is even better since the finishes will match and the comp will be clocked properly.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Great review, I wouldn't leave home without mine.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts