M14 Forum banner

Deer Messin Up My Trees!

770 24
Man I have cultivated some little volunteer Red Oaks & they about three yrs old now & I was so proud they were gonna make it & now them Damn *&^%$# Blankety Blank Deer are rubbing the bark offa Them!!!:mad:
Anybody else have this problem?
Would wrapping some Chicken Wire around them help any?
Grrrr...
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Andy
i feel your pain I have about 10 fruit trees in the yard In the last few years the squirrels have been migrating from the park a 100yds away to the neighborhood. My neighbors been talking, asking about what to do about them. Well at my house they seem to come down with West Lead Poisoning, the Crows the same thought it was West Nile Disease at first. The raccoons I find I ask if they want to go to my Baptist Church the always say No they are Hindu. Then I see the Red Dot on their forehead and then help them catch a ride to the local land with a great view
Pfc out
PS Happy Thanksgiving

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, no Christmas trees yet. Aint sure I'd live long enough to harvest the 1st crop! Besides, them babys are labor intensive!
I asked a few round here & they said I'd have to fence them. Said the deer got their chicken wire wrapped in the antlers & made off with it. Said some heard up the store about someone killing a deer with chicken wire on it's antlers...thought it musta been a coop stealing eggs...:rolleyes: stupid deer...:mad:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Andy, we have the same problem with our plum trees. No matter what we have tried, they still rub the bark off. Tried pepper sprayed rags, cat piss (DEF) rags, skunk rags, human pee rags, no luck. When they were little, we wrapped plastic sleeves around them and that kept them from rubbing the bark but as they got bigger, dang deer just went over the sleeves. Only thing that seems to work is 00 buck but then you have sto get rid of the evidence. G,F,&P won't let get a tag, gotta be a lawyer or doctor or banker to get one. You come up with a plan that works, let me know, PLEASE!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Deer are antlered tree rats - they eat everything. 8 foot tall fencing cinched drum tight is your only friend apart from lead poisoning. Any fence less than 8 feet tall, they will jump over. I look at it this way - I am feeding them my apple trees and fruit now, but they get to feed me later, after a trip to my freezer, cut and wrapped.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Back in September we got the Caterpillars in our Oaks around here & I poisoned all the little ones & saved the leaves, them damn bugs STRIP a small tree & now them Fancy Goats!:mad:
I think I may fence the whole place, let it grow up & start me a Puppy Pen fulla swamp rabbits!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Man I have cultivated some little volunteer Red Oaks & they about three yrs old now & I was so proud they were gonna make it & now them Damn *&^%$# Blankety Blank Deer are rubbing the bark offa Them!!!:mad:
Anybody else have this problem?
Would wrapping some Chicken Wire around them help any?
Grrrr...
I use the green metal fence post and chicken wire from Tractor supply around my trees to protect them. I also set up two feeders 200 yards from my trees and keep it loaded with corn and apple crushed mineral powder to keep them busy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts