M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many of y'all deer hunt with your M14's. I did a lot of long range shooting this summer with my NM M1A and got my comeups figured for the rounds I'm using so I've been using it this year. Using HSM Match ammo with 168gr A-Max bullets I've killed 3 deer so far. Gotta say the A-Max's have done a great job on them. Killed them at 75, 530, and 600yds. I hunt over a beanfield in a stand with a good rest and only try the long shots when there is little or no wind and everything feels right. Luckily I can drive pretty close to my stand so I don't have to lug that heavy rascal very far,lol.GI8

·
Registered
966 Posts
No, "deer" where I live, we hunt Moose, which is really a very large deer.

Anyway, I am testing Barnes VOR-TX ammo is 168 Tipped Tripple Shock bullets in my M1A, if all goes well I will try them out next season on Moose.

Normally, where I hunt, the bears can be an issue, so a .308 is kind of light, but I think the 20 round magazine will make up for it.

I am writing a review of Barnes products for the next issue of the "Recoil," so check it out.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I hunt deer by the TexMex border. When I use a M1A it is loaded with 175 Berger VLDs. Yes, they are jumping from the mag length, but they still shoot. I shoot the same load in the AR10.

By the border I always have a gas gun with me. When I go out with a bolt gun, the little 16 inch AR goes for a ride as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You gents using an adjustable gas plug?

I was thinking of taking the M1A this season. Our hunt club has a gasline right of way where you can see some distance.

SS

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Never used adjustable gas plug even when I shot 185s in competition.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
I hunt deer by the TexMex border. When I use a M1A it is loaded with 175 Berger VLDs. Yes, they are jumping from the mag length, but they still shoot. I shoot the same load in the AR10.

By the border I always have a gas gun with me. When I go out with a bolt gun, the little 16 inch AR goes for a ride as well.
Very wise my friend VERY wise..

I have hunted with mine. It is a loaded model and heavier than hell....never even noticed how MUCH more heavy it is compared to a GI spec. M1A till I picked one up last week in a gun shop......WOW! now I want a standard one too!!

Plus waaaay the heck back in the country I feel "less alone" when I have a 20rd mag full of 150gr FMJ's in my back pocket. Call me "Rambo" all you want, where I hunt there are Lions, Bears, and Cartel smugglers and growers all over the place...

Little bit heavier to carry but the perfect amount of gun when your cross-hairs are on the deer and your squeezing.....

150gr bullet is a 150gr bullet, and don't matter what launched it....

besides it's cool to throw in the face of the gun grabbers and anti hunters when they say "You don't need that for hunting"....or "What are you going to use that assault rifle for".......just show them the deer pictures with your M1A across the deer your holding up........haha love it!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You gents using an adjustable gas plug?

I was thinking of taking the M1A this season. Our hunt club has a gasline right of way where you can see some distance.

SS
I'm not using an adj. plug but I'm just shooting 168's @ 2600fps. I have a Zeiss 4.5x14 Mildot on a Basset mount. The only thing about the long shots is if I see a deer I have to range it, put my glasses on, dial the scope in, get a good steady rest,and hope the deer is still where it was,lol. If it was at 500yds and by the time I get all set up it's moved 50 yds it could mean a miss. By the way, love the Nathan Bedford Forrest avatar. One of my all time heros.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I've been using it this year. Using HSM Match ammo with 168gr A-Max bullets I've killed 3 deer so far. Gotta say the A-Max's have done a great job on them.
I thought Hornady did not recommend Amax bullets for hunting
But they use them in TAP ammo for LE Hmm go figure
I am trying to use Hornady 150gr SST bullets In order for me to give a report I must first see one.
I have not seen 1 deer in 3 outings FRiday am My friend is taking me to another farm.I will see

·
Registered
623 Posts
Its been in the 70's all week not much point.Temp is dropping tommorrow,about time we eat at my aunts house.I heard they moved a little this am while overcast and drizzling.But around here over 50 degrees with an almost full moon,I stay home.

And Ive deer hunted with 165 grain Barnes in the m1Garand I used to have.You would have to prove to me they couldnt handle grizzly in an m14 although 20 rounds would make me feel betterGI5 Moose will be on the dinner plate

·
Registered
250 Posts
You gotta love the Local Brah.....deer hunting in flip flops!FRG1

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
If you guys have a chance to do some testing, try the 175 Berger VLDs in your M1As. Loaded at 2.83 in my magasines or just clearing the magasines, these pills coming out at 2650 are extremely accurate and pack a punch clear to 600 yards with a little under 1200 ft-lbs left. These pills, though VLDs, which conventional thinking suggests that they are in the lands, do not mind the jump. The same load works in two AR10s and four M1As.

In South Texas you can't afford to hit the game and it runs into the heavy brush full of thorns and maybe some rattlers and have to track it. With the Berger 175s I never had one run further than the width of the senderos, which are only two dozer blades wide. Most are bang, flop. DRT. They work as advertised by Berger, check their website about their hunting VLDs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
168 gr AMAX's on game

I decided to hunt this fall with my M1A "scout" loaded with Hornady 168 gr Amax's @ 2600 fps.
I shot a large bodied buck at about 150 yds, broadside low chest heart shot. He went about 100yds at a dead run, 3" exit wound, no bullet recovered.
I followed up young hunter on a wounded smaller bodied buck, 250 yd broadside lung shot, bullet core recovered on off side under hide, jacket inside ribcage.
Coyote at about 225 yds, shoulder shot, devasting exit wound, no bullet recoved.
200 yd shot on a quartering away small spike bull elk... didn't take it. I was jonesing for my .338Wichester with 250 partitions....
I like the AMAX's combination of accuracy and terminal performance for deer sized game.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

+1 on the gas gun,I live in Arizona and wouldnt be without it anywhere in the mid to southern half of the stateGI8

·
Registered
236 Posts
I took two whitetails last year, one with each of my loaded/accurized M1A's. Took one this year with a standard. When I go back to the camp tomorrow (Nov 26) I will also take one of my M1 Garands--also accurized by "Ol Hook." Would like to take just one deer with the M1 to say I have done it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
haven't gotten it fully broken it, but plan on hunting with my LRB/Kreiger using 150 gr SST's; may go to 165's if the 150's won't group like I want. I like the polymer tip; it stays uniform after several times of loading/unloading. Have always had good luck with polymer tips, be they Nosler's Ballistic Tips or Hornady's SSTs

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I go, I'll be toting my M1A loaded in GI Synthetic Stock... I never shoot at anything beyond iron-sighting range anyhow. Only other hunting rifles I have are a Marlin Thuddy-Thuddy (I've killed a few with it, iron sights), and a .300 Wby Magnum (It'd "blow up" the deer we have around here).

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Here is the rig I posted in the Optics folder. The place is not far from Laredo. Standard issue on the ranch, the double lugged on bipod on top of the ranch truck, a 1911 full of Gold Dots and the Leica bino/rangefinder.

Not shown is the four mag pouch fully stuffed with 175 Berger VLDs for four and two legged Coyotes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts