M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemma... Seeing as I am and have been a "iron sights" shooter, I need some imput from all ya'll.....

Here's the dilemma.... I have one of each of the Arms#18 mounts, old style and new style..... I will be putting my Tasco Super Sniper scope on my DMR clone and want to know the pros and cons of each so that I can decide which to use....l

·
Banned
517 Posts
Well, I had a Smith mount and sold it. I've got 2 old style ARMS on 2 of my M1A's.

I do not like ANY full rail style mounts- AT ALL. To me, they are too restricting when cleaning, getting my fingers in there. Also you can't see into the chamber as well. If that matters to ya. It's sorta like when you work on your car engine and need to get to an area- there's always something in the way that requires you to remove another part so you can get to where you need to.

The old style mounts are just the same as having nothing there at all.
IMHO, I think that the old style is the best, bar none, M14 mount ever designed. 8)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Once I got my new style ARMS #18 on and properly aligned with the barrel - No Problemo. It's rock solid and with the #22M QD rings, there is no POI shift when mounting and dismounting the scope.

In other words - I Like It. :arm34:

I guess I got lucky because I haven't had the "brass kiss" marks that others have reported, nor have I had brass hang and jamb the bolt. No real problems with cleaning, etc but it does make cleaning with a chamber brush more of an adventure that without a mount at all.

I don't have any experience with the old style, but as long as this mount works as well as it does, I don't need one. ;)

Just my .02.

db

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
I don't have a old style ARMS#18, but do have the new style. I love it so far. Very rigged, sits low, mounted with zero problems and there is no problem removing the bolt with the mount on if you need to. The only trouble I ran into was the large Burris scope I plan to mount on it. It's a great piece of glass but Burris puts their turret well past center of the scope. I have a 19A QD throw lever rail coming that should let me cheat the .75" forward I need to get the front ring forward of the turret. If I had an old style I would see if I could get someone to mill out a stripper clip guide into the mount. I believe it was Warbird who did this modification on a old style #18 mount. You may have to buy the milling tips and sweet talk him a little though. I remember he or whoever did this modification ruined some parts on the hard steel of the ARMS mount. Other than the stripper guide, I see no real advantage over the old style mount. The new one should be more ridged. I can't tell any weight difference with the mount on & scope off. Plus it looks like it was made as part of the receiver. Gotta do a double take to notice it's even on there, JMHO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.