M14 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
I understand in Thomas's writings In the opinion it states the Second Amendment is a restriction on the government not on the people.
As a matter of fact, the entire document of the U.S. Constitution is a series of statements about limiting the power of the Government.

From Federalist 45 -
The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite.

Registered

Registered
Here in New Jersey, the application for a carry permit is pretty simple...

1. Background check on a fresh set of electronic fingerprints.
2. Recent handgun qualification on an LE course of fire.
3. Three references acknowledging your character.
4. Letter of need as to why you need to carry a handgun.
5. Notarized application submitted in triplicate.

Once your local police chief completes the investigation and signs his approval, it goes to a Superior Court Judge for his approval and signature. Any restrictions are added at that time. The permit is good for 2 years.

Piece of cake.
LOL. Piece of cake?! Bunch of BS is what it is. Seriously?

Registered
The SCOTUS ruling will eliminate #4. Everything else will probably stay the same. It's a hassle, but it does weed out the dangerous idiots. I've gone thru the process 17 times over the last 34 years.
Thats what I call long suffering!. Even here in WA its "shall issue". No tests, no BS references or anything else. Pass the BG check, get printed, good for 5 years.

Years ago when I first applied for a license here in WA it was in Seattle at the Po Po office. The gals were pretty snotty. They asked why you wanted it, protection or sport? I said yeah. NO! You have to choose one! I said OK you choose one. She was not getting any happier, NO YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE ONE! Oh Ok, sport. FINE, sign here!
Up in the county I live at for the last 33 years, I go into the Sheriffs office, fill out the form, get printed, pass the BG, done.
Its also called a Concealed Pistol License here, not a permit.

Registered
Here it's called a Permit to Carry a Handgun. There are no specifics as to open or concealed. You carry for the reason on the application. I suspect that will change.

Registered
I see now that this is the original thread so I will post here what I posted in the dupe...

CCW is fine and all but this part is the biggest win in my opinion:

"Since Heller and McDonald, the Courts of Appeals have developed a 鈥渢wo-step鈥 framework for analyzing Second Amendment challenges that combines history with means-end scrutiny. The Court rejects that two-part approach as having one step too many. Step one is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment鈥檚 text, as informed by history. But Heller and McDonald do not support a second step that applies means-end scrutiny in the Second Amendment context. Heller鈥檚 methodology centered on constitutional text and history. It did not invoke any means-end test such as strict or intermediate scrutiny, and it expressly rejected any interest-balancing inquiry akin to intermediate scrutiny." https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-843_7j80.pdf

Also, any new gun control laws will need to consider the "historical context" of the 2nd Amendment meaning that the for a gun law to be constitutionally permissible, it must be consistent with historical patterns of gun regulation. This goes against +10 capacity magazine bans, micro-stamping, "safe" handgun lists, assault weapon bans, "Red Flag" TRO's, "Boyfriend Loophole" laws, etc...Unfortunately, these laws currently proposed in Congress or actually in place will need to be challenged again with Bruen's "historical context" and strict-scrutiny tests applied.

Registered
This affects several "may issue" states. We will have to see how they react. I don't see any of these states lessening the proficiency requirements, just dropping the "justifiable need."
It will force them to replace 'may issue' w 'shall issue'.
Now if their requirements become too cumbersome... that will be a different lawsuit.

41 states are 'Shall Issue' with 25 states having Constitution Carry
9 states are 'May Issue' and its those states that need to comply.

That's all this case does.
Not sure why the huge panic by the liberal left.

Will have no impact on anything else.

Must read... Alito's rebuttal to Breyer's dissenting view.

Registered

Once your local police chief completes the investigation and signs his approval, it goes to a Superior Court Judge for his approval and signature. Any restrictions are added at that time. The permit is good for 2 years.

Piece of cake.
And this too would fail the scotus sniff test.

The ruling made any 'may issue' language to be unconstitutional.

May issue means that the burden of proof is for you to show or justify your cause to get the permit.
Shall issue means that the burden is on the state to show why you don't qualify.

NJ fails and will have to change their CCW law.
They are one of the 9 states.

Anything short of that change would / should trigger a lawsuit.

That said. Even w a shall issue, they could make requirements like passing a training course, finger prints, background check... but that's it.
Going to get the local Sheriff's approval could be problematic.

Registered
More:
The court rejects the "two-part" approach used by the courts of appeals in Second Amendment cases. "In keeping with Heller," Thomas writes, "we hold that when the Second Amendment's plain text covers an individual's conduct, the Constitution presumptively protects that conduct."
This may sink some of the 9th Circuit Courts reversals, like on magazine capacity and assaults weapons.

Registered
The Supreme Court of the United States ruling will eliminate #4. Everything else will probably stay the same. It's a hassle, but it does weed out the dangerous idiots. I've gone thru the process 17 times over the last 34 years.
My concealed weapon permit was easy to get. It is a non-resident Arizona concealed weapon permit. To get it I submitted my fingerprints, took a two day handgun course that taught basic handguns skills and the self defense concepts and paid about $59. The permit is good for five years and thirty-two States recognize it. To renew the permit I do believe all I need to do is pay another $59 and it is good for another five years.

Registered

Piece of cake.
Sorry KurtC, let me clarify...

#1 and #2 are reasonable and set a minimum qualification.
#3 and #4 are out, based on the latest SCOTUS ruling.

#5 is also out because it could be considered a limiting factor in the digital age.
You can submit #1 and completion of a qualification course electronically.

As long as #2 isn't harder than what you place police thru... it should be ok.

And then if you pass the background check... within a reasonable period of time... they must give you a CCW permit.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts