M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this would be the place to ask. I'm looking to expand my food storage, the kitchen is rather small. I've got a free back bedroom, and would like to put a wall locker like what I had in the service. All I can find so far is metal garage type like lowes sells.

Anybody got any ideas? Since it's going in the house I want something nice, but not looking for hand carved solid oak if you know what I mean.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I, too have a fairly small kitchen. We moved our washer and dryer from the utility room and into an alternate location in the garage, (already equipped with power and water). My wife and I sketched out two pantry-style shelves that will end up looking like the smaller pantry in the kitchen. This will quadruple our storage space.
Got the final idea from searching the web for built-in pantries. Lots of tips show up.
Home Depot shelving will work, but it works better in the garage.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a utility room, my washer and dryer are in the bathroom. I live alone and have three bed rooms though. One bed room is sleeping, the other is for reloading and leather work. The spare I want to set up for food storage. I may wind up adding a safe room on to the house, and that will give more storage room. But for now I'm looking for a wall locker that looks like it belongs in a house and not a garage. I like the Lowes cabinet, but it's all diamond plate and such.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I don't know if you want 'sumpin purty'...

Or sumpin heavy-duty?

I have put together two of these from Sam's Club...one for home and one for office...

Not Cheap, but really good quality...heavy duty...

Took about 1 1/2 Hours to Assemble...

Might be a good 'temporary' solution...when/if you find that 'Perfect' Cabinet...this one could go to the Garage!

GI2

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1490064

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I guess this would be the place to ask. I'm looking to expand my food storage, the kitchen is rather small. I've got a free back bedroom, and would like to put a wall locker like what I had in the service. All I can find so far is metal garage type like lowes sells.

Anybody got any ideas? Since it's going in the house I want something nice, but not looking for hand carved solid oak if you know what I mean.

Thanks
I found one I like at Wally World, . . . 71 by 30 by 16, . . . think I paid about 80 bucks for it, . . . two doors on the front, . . . center vertical divider, . . . moveable shelves on both sides, . . . even got an el cheapo lock on it.

It has some sort of wood grain look to it, . . . really it's sawdust and glue, . . . but it does the job.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I found one I like at Wally World, . . . 71 by 30 by 16, . . . think I paid about 80 bucks for it, . . . two doors on the front, . . . center vertical divider, . . . moveable shelves on both sides, . . . even got an el cheapo lock on it.

It has some sort of wood grain look to it, . . . really it's sawdust and glue, . . . but it does the job.

May God bless,
Dwight
I like that...just 'sawdust and glue'... (and I AM gonna steal it!)

Sad But True!

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty much like that, except something that won't fall apart when loaded down. There's a difference between composite and "sawdust and glue", I'm looking for the composite, or plywood with a decent finish.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
This is what I made a long time ago in the laundry room. These are the depth of the wall. 3 1/2" deep plus the face frame,13/16" and 4' tall. And 4 doors on each cabinet. With this type of cabinet, you can build them to fit in any wall.

[/IMG]

As you can see they are deep enough for the fatter cans, like the can of peaches. The room is kind of small so there really wasn't enough room for free standing cabinets. These stick out about 2". The wood was scraps of Oak taking up space in the garage.

[/IMG]

For the cases of veg's and paper towels, ect. I built this free standing bar(catch all) between the kitchen and living room.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Hope this helps, or at least gives you a few more ideas.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pantry closet.

We just bought one last month. Went to numerous furniture stores, both new and used. Many of the clerks didn't even know what a pantry closet was. Located one after much seaching.

Wood with full length double doors, 6'5"x36"x19". Inside 3 big shelves, and two large drawers on the bottom. Used some shelf racks to increase the storage even more. Full of canned goods and other foods.

It fits the our small kitchen decor and even the wife likes it now. She just needed to warm up to the (my) idea!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.