M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the question im sure you all have seen a few times.

love my M1A Scout but i have it setup more for mid range and i want to get a budget bolt action to add to my collection. would love for it to be 308 so i can use same ammo between them. it will probably be more for plinking but maybe some possible hunting in future

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I've been eyeing a Mossberg MVP .308 as of late, my last .308 that I bought was a Ruger Precision Rifle that I'm very happy with, a little heavy for hunting but I do plan on taking it on a trip or two just to see how well it does in the woods and I don't know if that's within your budget or not. Some nice rifles that Tony suggested also ... be hard to say, so many choices and so little in the bank account to play with.

At least for me anyway.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Check out the current Stevens, sub of Savage I believe, cheap and I've seen them shoot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
hard to say how much money my budget it. was hoping some of ya would name a few suggestions and then i can have an idea what im gonna spend. cheaper better but i dont want soemthing that cant hit broadside of a barn or will break within 100 shots. since it will mostly be for target shooting i dont wanna spend too much. thinking about selling my M9A1 and my cheap 1911 cause i dont care for either of them because i love my Colt Delta Elite soo much. but under 600 would mean i can get one sooner than later, otherwise ill have to save for awhile

now that i just thought of it, i should rent a left handed and right handed next time im at the rnage and see which i prefer. i can shoot either handed with no preferance but i do tend to shoot left handed by defualt

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
All good suggestions in this thread. The ruger precision is very good and accurate but I'm not sure it qualifies as budget at $1100

So it helps to have a ballpark number to consider.

Hard to go wrong with a savage 11

hard to say how much money my budget it. was hoping some of ya would name a few suggestions and then i can have an idea what im gonna spend. cheaper better but i dont want soemthing that cant hit broadside of a barn or will break within 100 shots. since it will mostly be for target shooting i dont wanna spend too much. thinking about selling my M9A1 and my cheap crappy 1911 cause i dont care for either of them because i love my Colt Delta Elite soo much

·
Registered
532 Posts
I bought a Mossberg MVP 35197 because it uses the same magazines as my M1A. This model has the 24" barrel and the benchrest laminated wood stock. For your hunting needs, you'll want to take a look at the other models with shorter barrels and different stocks. The Predator models feature a sporter style laminate stock, optional 3-9x40mm scope, and choice of 20” sporter barrel, 27737, or 18½” medium bull barrel, 27736; optional threaded barrels available.

I bought mine for $601.

You might want to look at their Patriot models also, 27864. There are a lot of options to fit everyone's need.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm that Ruger 6903 and Mossberg 27864 look soo appealing for the price. each of them cost as much as the scope i have on the M1A now which ill probably put on whatever i get. i might have to get one just for the cost and see how i like bolt action vs the M1A. i never actually fired a bolt action bigger than a 22. if i don't like it then its a small cost, but if i do like it then ill think about moving up to something more quality when i get some savings. i think i would prefer a standard to longer barrel or otherwise i would jsut use the M1A. reusing my box mags doesn't really appeal to me cause i dont think ill need to shoot 20 rounds quickly. but if both of those rifles are cheap crap then i will move up to something better despite costs

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Just buy a Remington 700. Good base to start with and the possibilites for modifications are endless. The aftermarket following is unlike any other bolt rifle on the market. Magpul now makes 5 and 10 round AICS pattern mags for half the price of AICS mags. They also make the Hunter 700 stock and bottom metal to accept the mags.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Just buy a Remington 700. Good base to start with and the possibilites for modifications are endless. The aftermarket following is unlike any other bolt rifle on the market. Magpul now makes 5 and 10 round AICS pattern mags for half the price of AICS mags. They also make the Hunter 700 stock and bottom metal to accept the mags.
Hard to argue against that suggestion, I really like my 700s.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Ruger American seems to be the best cheap option out there. I based this opinion on the comments of others on a hunting site I frequent.

A Google search should turn up comments and reviews on the American.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Remington 700, not the 783. Just do it. Ive seen a fairly stock 700 AAC 20" barrel reel off hits at 1000yds no problem. Trigger options are endless, as are stock, barrels, scope bases, bolt knobs, etc. Cause once you get one you won't be able to leave it alone. Now with the invention of the Remage barrel you can have one in .308 and rebarrel it at home into .243, 6.5 Creed, etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i guess i could go ahead and get a 700 SPS. probably would enjoy something that shoots decent if im going to go bolt action. i jsut dont know now. im too flippy floppy what i wanna get

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.