M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to de-link ammo? I got some linked Radway ammo because it seemed like a good deal, but now I am not sure of the best way to de-link it. Some people just put it nose down on some padding and push the rounds out of the links. My question is, is that OK? Is there any chance you might push the bullet a little deeper in the case and increase pressure or anything? What is the best way to de-link ammo? Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
What's the best way to de-link ammo? I got some linked Radway ammo because it seemed like a good deal, but now I am not sure of the best way to de-link it. Some people just put it nose down on some padding and push the rounds out of the links. My question is, is that OK? Is there any chance you might push the bullet a little deeper in the case and increase pressure or anything? What is the best way to de-link ammo? Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Thanks,
I dunno about RG Ball ammo, but USGI Ball ammo bullets are sealed with asphaltum. I've delinked many, many rounds by hand and **never** had a bullet move.

The BEST way is with a delinking machine/tool, but they're made from unobtanium and priced accordingly!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Just the way you described.

There has been a few threads on this subject.

·
Administrator
17,195 Posts
Research, still the best game in town anymore...

The slow way Wannabe...

1. Get yourself a large soft chair, place in front of TV.
2. Get yourself a pair of learther gloves heavy type.
3. Get yourself two ammo cans, one on each side of the chair.
4. Sit and watch TV as you push the rounds out the back of each link.
5. Place the round in one can and the unused link in the other.

The faster way Wannabe...

1. Put the belted ammunition in your M60/SAW or Ma Duce and put the trigger
2. Pick up links and put in can on right.
3. Pick up brass and place in can on left.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

OK, thanks, everyone. Looks like de-linking by pushing down on the bullet is not a problem. XXIV Corps, I like your faster method, too. GI2

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I once had over 4000 rounds of 7.62mm linked that I de-linked just by twisting the rounds out of the belt. All I did was grasp the round with one hand and the next linked round with the other and twist. Rounds popped out with no problem. Don't know if it hurt the links, but the rounds came out easy. Easier than pushing/pulling them out.
BTW, have a good hand cleaner ready as you'll end up with really dirty hands after!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just my experience

My question is, is that OK? Is there any chance you might push the bullet a little deeper in the case and increase pressure or anything?

Speaking from a learning experience years ago, I was de-linking several links of US M80 ball in much the same manner as you described, when I noticed by the second link some of the bullets had been seated deeper into the shell casing, but not quite as deep as the disappointment that set in, because I'm not a re-loader. I had never had this happen before and the ammo was factory loaded WCC I believe. Since then, I only apply pressure to the shoulders to push out the rounds,
Ouch!

Phinehas

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Once upon a time I built a de-linker.

I used a hinge and two pieces of wood and some nails.

I used some nails to hold the links, and other nails to push on the back of the linked rounds.
I could delink 5 rounds with each "closeure" of the hand made delinker.

This way I was not pressing on the bullet noses to delink.

If you only have a few hundred rounds to de-link, then just get some good gloves, and pull the rounds out of the links.

But if you have several thousand rounds build a de-linker...

Or just buy a M 60 machind gun and start shooting.DI2

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had to de-link many isued M-80 ball rnds to use in GI rifles. I found that getting the rim of the casing over the clip of the M-13 link was the hard part. I found that taking a pair of channel lock pliers opening them up so on jaw sets on the front of the link and the other is on the cartridge rim you can simpley and very quickly snap the link out of the casing rim. Once you do the whole belt you can easily pull the cartidges the rest of the way out.

Works really well. I discovered this after the ammo supply point issued us a 800 rd case of M-80 ball for our M-14's. they swore it was boxed.......well it was 2 boxes of linked in each can!!

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
I used a wood block and a pair of heavy work gloves. I delinked 12k rounds of Port surplus this way. Anyone need 12k links????? :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Load in my MG42 with MG3 top cover and barrel and let er fly. I delinked 300rds about a month ago. poor pine tree never knew what hit it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I used a wood block and a pair of heavy work gloves. I delinked 12k rounds of Port surplus this way. Anyone need 12k links????? :)
I used the block of 2x4 and gloves.

Never an issue.

A few beers won't hurt.

I've got a big box of links too.

Any takers on the links?

Silver

·
Registered
851 Posts
I used the corner of my workbench. Held the belt with the primer side down used the corner of my bench to push round out of link. I had a big pail underneath. I put a towel on bottom of pail just to cushion the drop. They fell out and into pail. Then sort. I have done it with disintegrating and non disintegrating links. Was easy for me

1 - 20 of 20 Posts