M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at some of these infrared lasers.

Simple question.

With a dbal or peq and gen 2 nightvision. Should you be able to see the beam easily from a dbal?

I saw some videos on YouTube and could not see the beam. Could this be a result of the lower power civilian units?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I dont have a Gen2, but I do have a Gen3 PVS14 and a Dbal. You should be able to see pretty much ANY laser with Gen2. Im pretty sure the quality of the video you watched was crappy, or the recording device doesnt work well in low light, or no light. If you decide on Gen2 make sure you get a good IR light. Streamlight makes an outstanding handheld/weapon mount light called the Tac IR. I have the streamlight, a TorchPro from TNVC, and the Inforce dual spectrums, and the Streamlight blows all of them out the water.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I agree with everything madppcs said. A gen 2 should have zero issues picking up the laser from a Dbal. The bloom is very healthy on my gen 3. In reality, the power output between the PEQ and Dbal is not that much at all.

Also second his opinion on a dedicated IR light. I run a Torch on mine. With gen 2, I would not willingly go the Surefire IR filter lens route as those covers really eat up illumination. I notice the difference through my 14s between the two and its significant.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
PEQ15 (Insight) and PEQ15A (Laser Devices) are both DBAL's, the 15A is available to civilians in a lower powered version. The dot will be visible with Gen 2 but not as well as with a Gen 3. The beam will only be visible with dust or pollen or smoke in the air.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
As I said in the other thread lasers are serious business. Make sure you know how to properly operate it. Do not shine it towards another person's eyes, do not point it into a occupied cars windows, and most definitely do not shine it onto an aircraft of any type. Lasers can permanently damage eyes.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pics of my Dbal on my 6.8

Gen3 PVS14 with good moonlight

In this next pic, my PVS was in Auto-Dim cause I had a bonfire going right next to me. You can see the light reflection off the trees. But its only to show to IR laser on my 100yd target

And my 500yd target.

To get a good perspective just imagine the good (Non-gated) pics with the same laser and youll get the idea of what it looks like.

One of the fields I hunt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.