M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, spent the afternoon at the range trying out some different ammo and also to try shooting off of my atlas bipod for the first time. Took some PPU match, HSM 168gr Match, and some American Eagle 168gr Match to see which one my gun would like. Both the HSM and the AE did pretty well. The PPU not so much, but to be fair I didnt have a sand bag under under the butt when shooting the PPU so that might have had something to do with it. Was windy and tried to wait for it to die down before taking. First is the HSM, second set the AE, didnt bother with the PPU. Third was my setup. First sets of groups with both ammo turned out really good. The middle group with the HSM was sub 1in so Ill have to see if I can get my hands on more of that stuff. Last picture is of a guy I noticed shooting. Overheard him tell his shooting buddy that he was having a hard time hitting the target (12in target at 100yds), wonder if his bipod setup had anything to do with it DIEVIL. Also had a guy shooting next to with hand loads in two of his m1a's, one a socom in a troy and the other a standard. Asked him what he had loaded and he smirked and said "250gr Hornady with 45gr of powder" GI3....... I was under the impression that it is recommended to stay below 175gr bullet and roughly 42gr of powder. Either way, he was getting about 5in groups at 100. Altogether a fun day at the range with some interesting folk to watch.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
...250gr Hornady with 45gr of powder...
He was pretty much full of crap all the way around.

First of all, Hornady doesn't make a 250 grain .30 cal bullet and if he were using that much powder with a bullet that heavy then I doubt if the rifle will last him very long. As a matter of fact, I'd guess that it would have blown his rifles apart on the first shot. That kind of load would have produced pressures of 90 to 100,000 PSI.

Reactions: 23eagle and tonyben

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was pretty much full of crap all the way around.

First of all, Hornady doesn't make a 250 grain .30 cal bullet and if he were using that much powder with a bullet that heavy then I doubt if the rifle will last him very long. As a matter of fact, I'd guess that it would have blown his rifles apart on the first shot. That kind of load would have produced pressures of 90 to 100,000 PSI.
didnt quite believe him myself but he showed me his load label on his box of ammo and it said 250gr with 45gr powder..... might have been pulling my leg. Should have asked him if he was a member on the forum.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Grain weight and powder charge load out: Comment.

Seems like he just got the two mixed up on what he wrote.

Like. OK I would expect a varmint load round being 45grn on a .556 or 223 of course. Not sure the powder charge but could be a 250 grain count on a cordite load depending on its core grain size and structure, and or size of the propellant "crystal" for lack of better word.

I know artillery ordinance loads you see all kinds of crazy "shtuff" grain weights and sizes. propellant charge grains> lots are not even tiny coin sized grains but long liccorice looking cylinder style grains perforated or extruded with fine holes. Some are star fish shaped, gets real crazy when it comes to achieving max surface area for the propellant charge to be able to detonate fast but metered. You know that strange old cordite stuff that is amber looking and all.
Course big GUN stuff is not small arm but just wanting to note it is a crazy world of the munitions and armory stuff.
Would be kind of neat to see hear others take on this, those who were in artillery maybe. Might be a different thread to place here in the forum.

Reloader's please feel free to laugh at me. But I have some older books that I grew up with reading about the older powders and charges for GUNs up through the Vietnam conflict. I was not in artillery myself.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I know for a fact soon as he told me what grain bullet and how much powder he was using, I would have been exit stage left fast as I could go..Accident waiting to happen....some people are just smart enough to get someone else hurt badly..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I kept an eye on the guy just to see if anything out of the ordinary happened. There was a wire mess between my shooting position and his which would have shielded me some if something did go wrong. He did have a couple failures where he pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I know next to nothing about reloading but I know enough to know that a 250gr bullet is too heavy for an m14 clone and that 45gr of powder sounded high enough to question the load. I told him that I though it was a bit of a heavy/hot load and he shrugged it off apparently knowing better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts