M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to say thanks to all you on this forum that helped me immensely with advice & info....
Looked at many fine examples, and came away with this Beauty

1944 Underwood, IBM barrel, original stock & GI sling. Just got done breaking' it down & cleaning 'er up. Turns out this 'ol girl was born roughly the same time as my mom, and in the same part of NY.
GI1

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,425 Posts
Sweet lookin' carbine! Congrats. Good to see you got an oldie in beautiful shape.
m14brian

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Heck of a good lookin' stock!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
nice wood!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Just want to say thanks to all you on this forum that helped me immensely with advice & info....
Looked at many fine examples, and came away with this Beauty

1944 Underwood, IBM barrel, original stock & GI sling. Just got done breaking' it down & cleaning 'er up. Turns out this 'ol girl was born roughly the same time as my mom, and in the same part of NY.
GI1
Nice highwood. Any visible stamps or have they been sanded off?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Took the words right out of my mouth! Very nice highwood stock.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Awesome looking carbine. Highwood stocks were the original configuration. It refers to the part of the main stock that is above the level of the op rod. Later this was eliminated because it can break off. Sometimes you find stocks where this part has chipped, etc.

Again, outstanding looking carbine!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Any thought of going completely original? No bayonet lug, rear sight, safety, ect.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Military rifles were only original ONCE, when they were issued new from the factory. The state that they exist in now is their correct state any alteration to make them 'correct' makes them fake, expends resources that could be used otherwise to enhance shooting experiences and is misleading unless it is stated upfront that alterations were made to make the piece APPEAR to be correct. Unfortunately guns will be altered to make them supposedly original and hence a fake and then those fakes are passed off as the real deal.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Military rifles were only original ONCE, when they were issued new from the factory. The state that they exist in now is their correct state any alteration to make them 'correct' makes them fake, expends resources that could be used otherwise to enhance shooting experiences and is misleading unless it is stated upfront that alterations were made to make the piece APPEAR to be correct. Unfortunately guns will be altered to make them supposedly original and hence a fake and then those fakes are passed off as the real deal.
I't's only original once. C.R.F., Kip Felier on the jouster forums (RIP) said there there were two kinds of rifles, original and refinished junk. A bit harsh, but not off base. If someone wants to take there mixmaster and hunt down all the "correct" parts, I don't have a problem with that as long as it's is marketed as such.

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any thought of going completely original? No bayonet lug, rear sight, safety, ect.
Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I looked at a few that were more along the lines of a "collector grade", but this is going to be a shooter & something I pass down to my kids.

Along those same lines, I just got my package together for a CMP order when the big news hit about the International Harvester Garands hitting the shelves. I thought about it for a minute, but again, my Garand is gonna be a shooter. I'm gonna send it off to Shuff's for the "Mini-G" treatment also. No sense in getting a nice rare IH then chopping it up.

I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter GI2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts