M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was there ever reports of the earlier DAG ammo (1984-1985) corroding from the cardboard wrap?

what about GGG 2004?

I just found 1,000 rounds cleaning out my attic that is in rubber battle packs.

thank you for your help

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
Yep, all have had it happen upon occasion. Some worse than others. Out of maybe 20K of DAG I have had only a hundred or so were so bad they needed scraping, but all shot as advertised.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you recommend opening up the plastic packs and removing the ammo from the cardboard?

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
After all the time that has passed, I can't imagine it getting much worse. I have 7K of MEN in battle packs, Some South African and others. Haven't had the courage to open a bunch. The last few that I have opened for use had no corrosion at all so I am counting my blessings. I know there are some folks that like to open all up and store loose. To each his own.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for you advice. I will leave them closed. I have plenty open for shooting.

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
I think that is a wise decision. With all that's going on in the world today, we sure don't need to worry whether our ammo is not perfect in storage. Good enough to get the job done is all that's needed.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
That was reported here back in 2012, it's a Sticky above... Oh by the way, I never had Lithuanian 03 & 04 more than a few weeks before I was out on the rifle range testing it.

Pictures of Corrosion. inside MEN94 cases.

Reactions: m14brian and nf1e

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Surplus ammunition was "surplused" for a reason. Usually an inspector will open up a few samples. If he finds any corrosion, the entire lot will get released.

Military ammunition is not intended to sit in storage for decades. 10 years is probably pushing it.

Whenever I acquired some, I would open it up and inspect every round. I only store ammunition that I am 100% positive is in perfect condition.

Repackaging in waterproof containers, with desiccant, is best done in the middle of winter, when the humidity is lowest.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Garden Valley is correct you want a cool dry place low humidity an attic is exact opposite of that, A basement or a room on the north side of the house where the sun doesn’t hit Is a good start

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Garden Valley is correct you want a cool dry place low humidity an attic is exact opposite of that, A basement or a room on the north side of the house where the sun doesn’t hit Is a good start
I have all my ammo in 50 caliber ammo cans stored in a closet that has HVAC. I forgot I had this ammo that was in a brown plastic tub that I think was full of South African ammo at one time. It was covered up with junk in my attic.

thanks again for your help

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
The battle packs were not sealed under laboratory conditions. There is a certain amount of moisture inherent to them. Over time, well...

Again, these were intended to be used within years, not decades.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I had purchased three cases of DAG from a reputable seller. As is my practice I open the battle packs and place the rounds in .50 cal ammo cans with moisture absorbents. All three cases had significant corrosion with some cases being severely damaged. The seller apparently had several complaints and took it all back and paid the return shipping.

I really don't want any surprises years down the road after I go to use an milsurp ammo.

Reactions: KurtC

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
IMHO, I would open the DAG , remove the cardboard, cull the bad ones out.. then store the good ones in a 30cal ammo can. Shoot up the "decent" ones.

As far as the GGG ammo... I haven't read about any corrosion. And for what its worth the 2003-4 GGG ammo shot close to match sized groups for me.
The last 2013 GGG ammo was a different powder and charge weight, and was no where near as accurate.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
DAG was take over by Swiss RUAG back in the last century.
GGG is Lithuanian, still in production.
MEN is still in production in Germany, part of CBC Global (Magtech, Sellier & Bellot, etc)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I have removed all of my ammo from cardboard boxes.

Reactions: KurtC

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Me, too... It's sub-moa in my Savage FCP-SR, and no other milsurp is even close.

I'm a bit distraught that I'm down to my last 100 or so rounds of GGG-04!
Consider buying some Aust. Outback 165gr SGK... outstanding accuracy from my firearms. It is loaded with Varget powder. VERY small SD #'s

Global Ordnance has it for $27 bucks a box.. BUT... it is BOGO, so ultimately $13.50 a box. Truly great stuff. ( Aust. Outback .223 Blitzking same BOGO, but cheaper. )

Flat rate $13 shipping. Seems to be going fast, so ...
Australian Outback Buy One Get One Free 20 Round Box .308 Win 165 Grain Sierra Gameking UPC: 9332153001049-BOGO

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Would you recommend opening up the plastic packs and removing the ammo from the cardboard?

I have a couple of thousand rounds of '90s DAG. The few that I've opened had no corrosion, but the velocity appears to be sub par for NATO spec. It's real accurate though.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Back on topic...

I leave my stuff in battle packs or in cardboard in the original wrappers until I'm actually going to shoot it...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts